PDA

View Full Version : .380 help

Phat Man Mike
11-08-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm posting for a fellow shooter, he's loading .380 95 gr cast bullets with bullseye powder and needs a COL. and help please.:castmine:

JIMinPHX
11-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I usually load round nose .380's to .975" c.o.a.l. Published max length is .984".

It's not really quite that simple though. You didn't say what boolit is being used here & you didn't say how much powder or what type of gun. Those things can matter. In general, avoid loading short cartridge lengths with heavy powder charges to avoid overpressure problems.

Several people have reported good results with 2.7 grains of Bullseye in the .380, but you should really look up your data in a published book & not just trust what you read on the internet. At least cross check 2 or 3 different sources if you don't have an actual book handy.

Phat Man Mike
11-08-2009, 03:12 AM
thanks I gave him a link to this post so he can watch it! and hope he join's the forum :mrgreen:[smilie=w:

I think it called for 3.4 gr of powder

Gee_Wizz01
11-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I hope your friend is following proper reloading procedures and using a starting load and working up. I try to load as long an OAL as possible with the .380 ACP, I have found that in my pistols longer OAL's tend to feed better. Loading to shorter load lengths can run pressures up quickly in the small .380 case. Also work up loads any time you change brands of brass. Remington seems to have the greatest capacity and Federal seems to have the least. You didn't say what powder your friend is using.

G

Ranch Dog
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Sure a lot of interest in shooting cast bullets in 380 Autos as of late. My comments are only the same as the others, be careful. OAL is bullet specific because it is actually an expression of powder compression. OAL might determine magazine to chamber feed performance but compression determines KABoom.

When using load data for a given bullet, it takes a little math to determine if switching bullets with the recommended loads will affect compression negatively or positively. You need to know which bullet was used with the data, its length, and how that length compares to the bullet you are using.

I just got my 380 Auto "Heavy" bullet molds from Lee. It is a TL358-125-RF. Might get to cast these 125-grain bullets today!

Phat Man Mike
11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I hope your friend is following proper reloading procedures and using a starting load and working up. I try to load as long an OAL as possible with the .380 ACP, I have found that in my pistols longer OAL's tend to feed better. Loading to shorter load lengths can run pressures up quickly in the small .380 case. Also work up loads any time you change brands of brass. Remington seems to have the greatest capacity and Federal seems to have the least. You didn't say what powder your friend is using.

G

bullseye powder I think it's made by alliant powder comp. :bigsmyl2::cbpour: are fun to shoot

Dframe
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE I try to load as long an OAL as possible with the .380 ACP, I have found that in my pistols longer OAL's tend to feed better.

My experiance has been the oppostite. My 380s almost always feed better when COL is kept to the minumum length safe for the powder and bullet I'm using. I'm feeding a Walther, a Mauser, and an AMT, and shorter is better for me.

JIMinPHX
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
thanks I gave him a link to this post so he can watch it! and hope he join's the forum :mrgreen:[smilie=w:

I think it called for 3.4 gr of powder

That sounds like it might be over the top for a cast boolit in a .380. It sounds like it might be a top load for a jacketed bullet, or even a bit above that maximum. PLEASE CONSULT A LOADING MANUAL. I think that powder charge is too hot.

Phat Man Mike
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
thanks!! he's looking for more info as we type!!! thanks folks:castmine:

MxdAzn9
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm the gentleman Phat Man Mike was speaking of. The data I got was from Steve's Pages (because the Lee and Lyman didn't have load data for 95 gr.) The range for Bullseye for 95 gr. was 2.0-3.4. I just needed the COL/OAL for it because it didn't list it.

I loaded just 7 rounds at 2.3 of Bullseye at an OAL/COL of .962-.975.

Phat Man Mike
11-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Howdy there!!! glad you signed up!!:castmine::bigsmyl2:

Gee_Wizz01
11-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm the gentleman Phat Man Mike was speaking of. The data I got was from Steve's Pages (because the Lee and Lyman didn't have load data for 95 gr.) The range for Bullseye for 95 gr. was 2.0-3.4. I just needed the COL/OAL for it because it didn't list it.

I loaded just 7 rounds at 2.3 of Bullseye at an OAL/COL of .962-.975.

Welcome!

What bullet are you using? Your case OAL might be a little short, but without knowing what bullet you are using its hard to tell. As stated above the .380ACP is touchy about case length, or as Ranch Dog stated above "compression determines KABoom". Like Ranch Dog stated you need to know how the bullet compares to the one used in the load data. Recently I was reloading some 380's with a 95 gr bullet and they weren't feeding well in my pistol, so I seated them a little deeper and the starting load went from very light with no signs of pressure to a hot load with flattened primers. I know we seem to be a little evasive, but its better to be cautious than to damage your pistol or yourself.

G

Phat Man Mike
11-14-2009, 01:17 AM
I think it's 95 gr cast lead round nose from Missouri bullets! IIRC :groner:

Gee_Wizz01
11-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it's 95 gr cast lead round nose from Missouri bullets! IIRC :groner:

I am using a 95 gr bullet that looks like the Missouri Bullet. I don't use Bullseye for my .380 loads, but I load them to .962 OAL, thats what works well in MY pistol. I would load a few at the suggested starting load and slowly work up until you reach the max load or start seeing signs of pressure. If 2.0 gr is the suggested starting load, thats where I would start, I am very cautious with the .380 ACP. If you change the OAL, start over at the starting load. Good Luck

G

Ranch Dog
11-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Give me a barrel, bullet, and overall length and I will run it through the QuickLoad software for you.

MxdAzn9
11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Welcome!

What bullet are you using? Your case OAL might be a little short, but without knowing what bullet you are using its hard to tell. As stated above the .380ACP is touchy about case length, or as Ranch Dog stated above "compression determines KABoom". Like Ranch Dog stated you need to know how the bullet compares to the one used in the load data. Recently I was reloading some 380's with a 95 gr bullet and they weren't feeding well in my pistol, so I seated them a little deeper and the starting load went from very light with no signs of pressure to a hot load with flattened primers. I know we seem to be a little evasive, but its better to be cautious than to damage your pistol or yourself.

G

Thanks for the welcome G.

95 grain cast lead RN from Missouri Bullet Company.

The .975 was suggested because it's standard (yes?) there was no OAL with the data.

I made a dummy round to check if this length would chamber and it did.

MxdAzn9
11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Give me a barrel, bullet, and overall length and I will run it through the QuickLoad software for you.

Do you mean length of the barrel Ranch Dog?

canyon-ghost
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
After seeing that 3.4 grains, thought I might add a note of caution. If you load new brass in the smaller pistol cartridges, sometimes the case neck tension is more than you count on. My 9mm load is 3.2 grains of Bullseye and my bullet-pulling adventures are on this forum somewhere.
Seems to me a guy might start below suggested starting loads if the lead bullet seats deeper or considerably tighter than specs. I ended up pulling bullets because the top end generated more pressure than it should. Something to think on.

Ron[smilie=b:

MxdAzn9
11-14-2009, 07:48 PM
After seeing that 3.4 grains, thought I might add a note of caution. If you load new brass in the smaller pistol cartridges, sometimes the case neck tension is more than you count on. My 9mm load is 3.2 grains of Bullseye and my bullet-pulling adventures are on this forum somewhere.
Seems to me a guy might start below suggested starting loads if the lead bullet seats deeper or considerably tighter than specs. I ended up pulling bullets because the top end generated more pressure than it should. Something to think on.

Ron[smilie=b:

The window was 2.0 to 3.4.

I loaded at 2.3.