PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army

EOD3
11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I need a source for commercial cast bullets for the Old Army. I'd also appreciate recommendations for conical bullet molds in the 150 to 220 grain range. :confused:

docone31
11-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I would forget the cast bullets, and stick with a mold for .457 Round Balls.
Conicals would work, but Round Balls work best.
A great pistol.

dualsport
11-07-2009, 11:12 PM
The best bullet I've tried in the ROA is the Lee 456-220-1R. It is designed specifically for this gun. It's a 220 gr. roundnose intended to be cast from pure lead. You will also have good results using lead roundballs. I'm only about 100 miles away, if you want me to make some up for you to try send me a pm. I don't know if any commercial casters make these bullets, they are a little bigger in diameter than 'traditional' cap and ball revolvers use. You can order a mold or maybe I'll go into the casting business. Check out Lee's website.

Charlie Sometimes
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I used the Lee 456-220-1R in mine.
It worked good in my fixed sight ROA's using FFg to shoot point of aim (so I didn't have to file the sights)- I don't remember the charge weight.

EOD3
11-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys, looks like it's a pretty easy cast. :?

I just might get a chance to try Rugers "if it fits, it shoots" load recommendation :D

stubshaft
11-08-2009, 04:24 AM
I used the Lee 456-220-1R in mine.
It worked good in my fixed sight ROA's using FFg to shoot point of aim (so I didn't have to file the sights)- I don't remember the charge weight.

FWIW - I just got (I mean in todays mail) one of these moulds from Midsouth. In over 25 years of casting this has got to be the worst mould that I have ever received from Lee. I have over 20 different moulds from Lee including RB and Minies. But this thing looks like it was bored on a drill press and finished with 180 grit sandpaper. On the other hand in the same box was a .22 Bator mooulds that was beautiful. I guess it was the "luck of the draw".[smilie=b:

Charlie Sometimes
11-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Oh, I forgot another one that I used some-

It has a very big lube groove, and designed especially for the ROA, too.
SASS member Dick Dastardly produces it (biglube.com), designed by a couple of other fellas- it a JP 45-210 RNFP, and can be used in lever action rifles also.
Great BP cartridge bullet.
I used R&D cylinder conversions in my ROA periodically in CAS competitions, and loaded BP cartridges for it- hence the reason I always tried to create loads to shoot to where my sights were preset by the factory.

I have a 6 cavity Lee custom mold for it (the only maker and version)- if you would be interested in it send me a PM.

Archer
11-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I've been using the Lee .456- 220gr, in mine
with good results. I've been using 25 grs. of
triple7 with, and without a felt wad over the
powder, and am getting 2" to 21/2" groups
at 25 yards.
For some reason mine is throwing roundballs
all over the target. I can't seem to get them to
shoot worth a hoot. I've been using 35 grs. with
the round balls, so maybe that's the problem.

oldhickory
11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
FWIW - I just got (I mean in todays mail) one of these moulds from Midsouth. In over 25 years of casting this has got to be the worst mould that I have ever received from Lee. I have over 20 different moulds from Lee including RB and Minies. But this thing looks like it was bored on a drill press and finished with 180 grit sandpaper. On the other hand in the same box was a .22 Bator mooulds that was beautiful. I guess it was the "luck of the draw".[smilie=b:

I got mine this past summer, (from MidSouth also). Like yours mine was defective right out of the box too, I sent it back to LEE with a blatent bi*@ch letter to them about their lack of quality and some spectulations as to why. I got it back a few weeks later, good as any mold I own. Bring their junk to their attention, they will fix it.

I got two other LEE molds from MidSouth since with no quality issues.

jim4065
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Took the ROA to the range yesterday and was kinda disappointed. Couldn't find the felt wads so I just crammed in extra 3F. It holds powder from the "45" mark on the adjustable measure, but requires a very hard push on the loading lever to seat the ball low enough. Not fun - and I don't think I'll use that much powder again because the best I could do was 5.5" groups at 25 yards (freehand). She (or We) did much better with 40 grains and the wad a few weeks ago.

I have the Lee conical mold for the ROA, guess I'd better try it.

Speaking of which - in the enthusiasm of loading up for the first time, I accidentally tried to load a .490 ball. No matter how hard I pushed the lever - she just wouldn't go. Then almost busted the tip off a knife prying the ball out of the nose of the chamber. :oops:

Dframe
11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Check out forefathers casting. He is a sponsor to this site and can provide virtually anything you could possibly need for muzzle loaders.