PDA

View Full Version : lube ingrdient

hiram
05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I was in a craft store today and found something that might be good. 4 oz cost $4. Its a wax additive by a company called 'Yaley'. On the back of the label it says "Helps raise the melting point of wax and allows candle to burn slower........" I don't care about the burn rate of the candle but the part that caught my eye was raising the melting temperature. This might be good for July-August to keep lube solid and not over soften and run. use 1 tablespoon per 2 pounds. I think its worth a try.:drinks:

357maximum
05-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Just a note on the polymer additives like vybar, lustre crystals.

Too much of these things in the lube can cause plastic like fouling. I have seen the" too much of a good thing " with these additives and ended up using an acetone based cleaner to remove the shotgun wad looking fouled mess.

I personally do not think them neccessary any longer in my climatic conditions IF you only use beeswax. If you are adding a substantial amount of parraffin to the melt then you may want to include the polymer. I no longer include parraffin in my high end lube because of two things.. The parraffin has a real small viscosity range, plus it will lower the speed ceiling on most high end loads. JMHO

Bass Ackward
05-07-2006, 06:20 AM
After playing around some myself, I have one ingredient that I use to firm up or make any lube better and that is Carnuba wax. I use Lyman Super Moly for my larger bores in cold weather and I melt and add some to it. This way it removes some of the tackiness when it is warm without making is significantly harder in case I don't shoot everything up during season.

The side benifit to Carnuba is a cleaner bore.

cherok9878
05-07-2006, 10:09 AM
BA, If you don't mind, what is your source for the Carnuba wax?

snowtigger
05-07-2006, 10:55 AM
BA, If you don't mind, what is your source for the Carnuba wax?
I'm not BA,but, You might try these people; http://www.texasdrone.us/ They have it in flake form.

R.M.
05-07-2006, 11:05 AM
From what I understand, the red wax covering the "Baby-Bell" cheese is Carnuba wax.

R.M.

felix
05-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Cheaper here, and this is where I get it. ... felix

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

felix
05-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Most of the wax coverings/toppings for booze and cheeze are at least 30 percent carnauba. ... felix

cherok9878
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Didn't mean to steal the thread but thanks guy's for all your help and directions. I have only been casting a couple months and couldn't have done it without this forum............Thank's again..............larry