PDA

View Full Version : Weight Variation

ETG
11-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Started casteing again. Ordered some Lee molds in 45. Dug out the old pot - still 3/4 full of lead. casted up a couple hunderd boolits - both RN and TC. They were dropping at about 236gn. Tried them out and got fairly good accuracy but quite a bit of leading. Started the next batch with what was supposed to be 100% WW. These are dropping at 213-215gn. These are definately harder. I assumed the origional alloy was hard because I only casted for 357/44mag - I think it was closer to pure lead (maybe I was making sinkers the last time I used it 35 yrs ago). Is it normal to have this much variation? It is listed as a 230gn mold.

Edubya
11-07-2009, 02:04 PM
That seems a little high. Going from WW to pure lead, I have gotten, at the most, 5-8 grains increase. Are getting a good fill-out?
EW

stephen perry
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
ETG
To drop 20 grn per bullet by changing alloys I would say the alloy you thought was 100 % ww is lino. Especially since it sounds like you didn't melt the weights youself. Makes little difference. Once you do get some ww you will know.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

ETG
11-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I have some WW I smelted but I got zinc contamination in it. If I can get it clean I will cast some and compare. I also bought some lino. I'll try casting some from that and see where they drop. Yes, getting good fill-out with both alloys. Thanks.