PDA

View Full Version : Problem with seating 45 ACP

ETG
11-07-2009, 01:08 AM
I am using a new RCBS die set (well new is relative - I bought the set in the late 70s but never used them). I have backed out the seating die so it does not crimp at all. Nice bell on the cases where I can sit a cast boolit in it almost up to the first lube ring (TL). When I go to seat it as the cartridge enters the die I get a chattering feel on the handle and it shaves lead on opposite sides of the boolit. Boolits have been sized and lubed with LLA. They are 230 RN TL. Occasionally I will get one that will go down smoothly and there will not be any lead shaving. I have tried to perfectly align the boolit - makes no difference. Checked the boolits with a caliper and ther are round. Seems like the seating die is squeezing the case in before the boolit is seated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. BTW - I taper crimp after seating.

376Steyr
11-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I think the interior diameter of your cases are too small for your bullets. The chattering you feel is the swaging action of the ring-space-ring-space etc. as the TL bullet is being forced in. Either you have brass that has excessively thick case walls, or the die is sizing them excessively, or the expander plug is too small, or your bullets are too big. I'd try a different brand of brass first, then try a different bullet, then try a different set of dies. I had a set of dies and some brass in the late '70's with the opposite problem, I could seat jacketed bullets into the sized and expanded cases with my fingers.

bigboredad
11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
It sounds like you are crimping your bullet try readjusting your die again I had the same thing happen with the LEE 230 tl tc boolit once i readjusted problem went away

HeavyMetal
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Check the diameter of your expander plug!

In the 70's RCBS was selling 45 die sets with a .449 diameter plug so everyone could shoot the "New" HP bullets Speer was pushing, the old flying ashtray!

I agree with the statement that what your feeling is the case sizing your boolit for you as you seat it. Go with an expander plug .002 smaller than boolit diameter.

Alloy may be a little soft as well but you did not mentionwhat your using so I am only guessing. If your casting clip on WW drop them in water from the mold and this will harden those very small bands a bit and help with your problem!