PDA

View Full Version : needing some ideas

Phat Man Mike
11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
ok so I've cast some 9mm mak bullets, and I've used W/W for my alloy,what can I mix in to bring down my bullet weight? I'm having problems with them being over on the weight? they are weighing 101 gr. and my mold is a 95 gr.. [smilie=b:

Landric
11-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Some tin would probably work. Is there some reason you are unhappy with them weighing 6 grains more.

AZ-Stew
11-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Back off the powder charge a couple tenths of a grain and shoot them. It's only a 6-7 percent difference in weight. If you need harder and lighter, you can cut with linotype.

Regards,

Stew

beagle
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
What's 6 grains between friends. As has been suggested, cut down on the charge a tad and shoot them. I guarentee the target won't tell the difference./beagle

Leftoverdj
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Mould weights are only nominal. A few grains variance is more common than not. The maker may very well have specced the mould with linotype. That would account for the weight difference.

You can either look around for 100 grain data or use the 95 grain starting load and work up carefully. There won't be a difference except at the very top. You could also use .380 data. The Mak is very close, and the differences work to lower pressure slightly in the Mak.

Phat Man Mike
11-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm shooting them in my PA-63, and every where I've read say's to stay under 100 gr bullet. read some post that is really hard on the pistol! [smilie=s::redneck:

AZ-Stew
11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm shooting them in my PA-63, and every where I've read say's to stay under 100 gr bullet. read some post that is really hard on the pistol! [smilie=s::redneck:

Only if you shoot hot loads. As Beagle and I said, back off the powder a touch and you'll get the same recoil impulse as you would with a lighter bullet. The gun won't know the difference.

Regards,

Stew

rond
11-06-2009, 08:47 PM
The heavier bullets are longer than the 95 gr. and often will not fit into the magazine of the PA 63 without seating the bullet deeper into the case, raising pressure. The 95 gr. profile of your cast bullet should be ok, even if is heavier. I would load up a batch at the starting load and try them.

Phat Man Mike
11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
well I loaded 5 rounds with titegroup @ 3 gr and shot them.. it cycled the pistol fine but was a tad bit hard on the recoil and I've already got a heavier Wolff spring in it! I think I'll back it down around 2.8 and see how it shoot's;-) thanks

kawalekm
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
This reminds me of a lady that posted a baking question. Her house was exactly at 5000 feet and didn't want to alter her recipe for high altitude baking. She asked if she could bake her cake in the basement because going 10 feet lower would be below 5000 feet.

Your pistol is NOT going to know the difference between 100 and 101 grain bullets.