PDA

View Full Version : .22 CB under 1000fps, load suggestions

joel0407
11-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I am selling my 22lr to buy something I can reload with CBs. I think I should be able to get a 223 down slow enough for some low noise low velocity plinking and then still be able to through the odd HV load in when I want to varmint hunt.

Just considering the options. I dont think a 22 hornet will fill the HV varmint role and the 220 swift and 22/250 might not fill the LV plinking requirement.

Suggest away. Loads as well please. Any one try Trail boss in a 223?

Bert2368
11-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Look at the .221 Fireball and .22 K Hornet, and maybe do some more research on the original hornet while you're about it.

I have used 2.2 to 2.7 gr of Trail Boss with 45 gr cast in the hornet, someday I want to try a plain base bullet.

StrawHat
11-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Look at the .221 Fireball and .22 K Hornet, and maybe do some more research on the original hornet while you're about it.

I have used 2.2 to 2.7 gr of Trail Boss with 45 gr cast in the hornet, someday I want to try a plain base bullet.

Bert,

Any idea of the velocity with TrailBoss in the Hornet?

Bullshop
11-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Enough case volume for 3000 fps + long enough case neck to completely cover the boolit = 222 Rem.
BIC/BS

yondering
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
222 would be a good choice, like Bullshop said. Honestly though the 22 Hornet should be about right for what you describe. 3000+ fps is attainable with 40gr jacketed bullets, which is fine for anything smaller than a coyote, and the small case capacity should make it work easily for low vel. cast loads.

Honestly though, I think you'll want your 22 LR back. Despite the rising ammo costs, you can still do more shooting for less cost. Keep in mind that primers cost roughly the same as 22LR bulk ammo.

Bert2368
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
I haven't chronyed the load yet. +1 on the .222 Rem-

Bullshop
11-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Did I mention I have a really nice old Saeco Vixen in 222 for sale?

joel0407
11-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I dont think the 22 hornet will do what I want at the HV end of the scale. Correct me if I am wrong.

Whats this about case neck length long enough to cover the boolit. It is something I had not considered. Is it a problem if a CB base goes lower than the shoulder?

clodhopper
11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Most 22-250s have a 1in 14 twist, very cast boolit freindly.

It also will fufill any varmit role.

Along with being useful on deer sized game in most situations.

joel0407
11-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Most 22-250s have a 1in 14 twist, very cast boolit freindly.

It also will fufill any varmit role.

Along with being useful on deer sized game in most situations.

I'd be real happy with the high end of a 22/250 but what could I do with the LV.

I have asked this in two threads now. What velocity could I get a 22/250 down to with Trail Boss?

felix
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
500 FPS. ... felix

felix
11-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Below shoulder is OK for light loads, where light means slow ignition. ... felix

joel0407
11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
How do you acheive slow ignition?

felix
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Trail Boss should be slow enough. ... felix

stubshaft
11-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I dont think the 22 hornet will do what I want at the HV end of the scale. Correct me if I am wrong.

Whats this about case neck length long enough to cover the boolit. It is something I had not considered. Is it a problem if a CB base goes lower than the shoulder?

YES

It exposes the base and loob gooves to the hot gasses.

joel0407
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
YES

It exposes the base and loob gooves to the hot gasses.

Ok. So maybe the 223 idea is out now and 22/250 is in.

sagacious
11-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Joel,
I load a 60grn moly-coated swaged soft lead "cup point" bullet over a few grains of Bullseye powder in the 223REM. Bullseye works well. You need to adjust the small powder charge for your gun and requirements. I use NO filler. You can load it down pretty low-- less than 1000fps is no problem. You can load down to air-rifle velocity, but that 60grn bullet still hits with a lot of smack. If you're careful and consistent in your reloading, you can load down to the point where your loads are as quiet as a CB cap.

For the ultimate in ecomony and convenience, you can simply load a 22cal air-rifle pellet into a primed 223 case-mouth. Use NO powder. Approx air-rifle velocity, but still quite powerful. Use the heaviest 22cal pellet you can find, because some lightweight designs could potentially be blown-through by the primer blast (has never happened to me, but consider yourself advised).

A 55 to 65gr cast and wax-lubed bullet would work as well as a soft swaged bullets for your low-velocity loadings. Cast using soft lead if possible. Do not use a gas-check for very low-velocity loading if your mold is a gas-check mold, to eliminate the possibility of a shed gas-check becoming stuck in the barrel. There is no need for a gas-check at these velocities anyway.

Many load manuals, such as the Lyman Reloading Handbook give load data for cast bullets that is in the teens on the low end. You will likely have to develop your own sub-1000fps load recipes. Be advised that while developing these very low-vel loadings, you run considerable risk of getting a bullet stuck in the barrel, and the low report may give you no warning of a stuck bullet. This presents little problem with cast lead, as you can simply push out a stuck lead slug with your cleaning rod. However, be sure to check that a bullet has struck your target after each shot so that you don't fire another round with a bullet stuck in your barrel.

The 223REM is very versatile in this dual-velocity role. You can load low-vel ammo easily, and high-vel (standard) loading is also a snap.

Best of luck, hope this helps! :drinks:

stubshaft
11-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Ok. So maybe the 223 idea is out now and 22/250 is in.

I used to shoot alot of 225415's out of my .223. I seated them ahead of 3.5gr PB. Have no idea of how fast they shot but it wasn't very. The 223 neck is long enough to cover the GC and grease grooves of most 22 boolits and those that it doesn't cover can usually be seated out.

joel0407
11-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Joel,
I load a 60grn moly-coated swaged soft lead "cup point" bullet over a few grains of Bullseye powder in the 223REM. Bullseye works well. You need to adjust the small powder charge for your gun and requirements. I use NO filler. You can load it down pretty low-- less than 1000fps is no problem. You can load down to air-rifle velocity, but that 60grn bullet still hits with a lot of smack. If you're careful and consistent in your reloading, you can load down to the point where your loads are as quiet as a CB cap.

For the ultimate in ecomony and convenience, you can simply load a 22cal air-rifle pellet into a primed 223 case-mouth. Use NO powder. Approx air-rifle velocity, but still quite powerful. Use the heaviest 22cal pellet you can find, because some lightweight designs could potentially be blown-through by the primer blast (has never happened to me, but consider yourself advised).

A 55 to 65gr cast and wax-lubed bullet would work as well as a soft swaged bullets for your low-velocity loadings. Cast using soft lead if possible. Do not use a gas-check for very low-velocity loading if your mold is a gas-check mold, to eliminate the possibility of a shed gas-check becoming stuck in the barrel. There is no need for a gas-check at these velocities anyway.

Many load manuals, such as the Lyman Reloading Handbook give load data for cast bullets that is in the teens on the low end. You will likely have to develop your own sub-1000fps load recipes. Be advised that while developing these very low-vel loadings, you run considerable risk of getting a bullet stuck in the barrel, and the low report may give you no warning of a stuck bullet. This presents little problem with cast lead, as you can simply push out a stuck lead slug with your cleaning rod. However, be sure to check that a bullet has struck your target after each shot so that you don't fire another round with a bullet stuck in your barrel.

The 223REM is very versatile in this dual-velocity role. You can load low-vel ammo easily, and high-vel (standard) loading is also a snap.

Best of luck, hope this helps! :drinks:

This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear.

223 brass if far cheaper than most and that allows me to play much more.

Bullshop Junior
11-07-2009, 12:21 AM
you can make 222s out of 223s with no problem, and with the longer neck it will be better with cast boolits.
Or you can get two guns. 22/250 and 22 hornet.

dualsport
11-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Now you have me thinking. I've always admired that long necked .222, looks like a baby 30-30. But are they really potentially more accurate than a .223 well loaded? Geez, that's all I need, another .22. Barely scratched the surface developing loads for my .223s and Hornets! Tell me I don't need one, please.

rhbrink
11-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Many years ago I use to load a 22-250 down to squirrel hunting loads with no problem shot very well, don't remember what the load was but it wasn't hard to acheive.

Mallard57
11-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Geez, that's all I need, another .22.
I didn't think that NEED had anything to do with it.:-D

joel0407
11-08-2009, 05:52 AM
What about 223wssm? I can buy a Browning A-Bolt here in Australia for about half of what a A-bolt costs in any other calibre.

With the cost saving in buying the rifle I should be able to afford a good few cases and then just load down to save barrel life.

The question is can I load low enough. How low could I go with trail boss?