PDA

View Full Version : Minimum cost to start casting?

jason280
11-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I have hinted around at the idea of casting my own lead, but never really committed. Well, now that I have so many guns that I shoot lead in, it only makes sense. I shoot cast in .38/.357, .41, .44, .45 Colt and ACP, as well as .35, .375, and .45-70.

What is minimum cost I can expect for a complete setup to cast for these calibers, assuming 2-4 cavity molds, sizers, heaters, pots, etc?

sisiphunter
11-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Well, I am very new to casting and my set up includes a small electric Lee pot ($40), Lee dies ($27/ 2 cavity set), a ladle ($10), Lee Liquid Alox lube ($6), notebook ($1). Luckily my boolits drop to a perfect size for my rifle and I do not need to size at this point. I know this is a barebones set-up, but hey it works great for me so far (very good accuracy and minimal to no leading). For lead I am blessed to have the range scrape (mostly 12 ga slug lead) and got some free Wheel weights.

I'm sure others will add to the post with their set-up and you can get alot more expensive (and probably better or easier/quicker to use) equipment, but I am extremely happy with mine the way it is for now.

Good luck.

Matt

JIMinPHX
11-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Minimum for all those calibers...
$20 per mold x 6 molds = $120
Stick of lube $3
Old pot & spoon from garage sale $5
Wheel Weights picked up from side of highway - Free

I'd say that about $130 would be the dead minimum if you shoot the boolits at raw diameter. If you need to size them, then add about $15 per size. Tack on another hundred & change if you want the convenience of using a lubrisizer rather than a Lee push through sizer. Either way, you need to buy a different die for each size.

A more desirable approach might be to get a Lyman Master Caster combo & one mold to start with, then add more molds as your budget allows. The Lyman casting manual that comes with that starter kit is really worth having. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=573247 That kit is $160 well spent if you ask me.

If you are not sure if you are going to like casting or not, then just start with one cheap mold, one stick of lube & a garage sale pot. $30 to get your feet wet.

NoZombies
11-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Well, cost is a relative thing, you can do things pretty cheaply if you look for and grab used equipment at the right times, or you can go into it buying all new stuff.... so a few questions to ask:

How many molds for each caliber? what Quality molds? new, used?

Do you want to dip, or have a bottom pour? do you want to smelt your own lead, or buy casting alloys pre-made?

Are you going to start out with every mold for every caliber, or add to the list as you can?

Do you want a lubrisizer, or are push through sizers gonna do the trick?

You can buy lee molds in the 2 cavity variety for less than $20 a piece brand new, or you can buy RCBS molds starting at about $75 each brand new in 2 cavity, and for used, there are a lot of options in between, and way more expensive than that.

A lee bottom pour pot is fairly cheap, and has given many casters a start into the hobby, lee push through sizers are the cheapest way to get started with that. For your rifles, and some of the magnum handgun cartridges, you'll need gas-checks, do you want to buy them, or make your own?

The bottom line probably comes down to this, you shouldn't see casting as a way to "save money" but rather a way to spend the same money, and simply be able to shoot more, and have more control over what you're shooting.

warf73
11-06-2009, 05:35 AM
I posted this a few weeks back so I'll just copy and past here for ya.

All Lee equipment: In 357 pistol.

10lb bottom pour pot........ $52.00
2 Cavity Mold......................$20.00
Push thru sizer....................$16.00
Shipping cost Aprox.............$12.00

Total....................................$100.00

That covers 38/357 so you can add about $40 per caliber there after.
So about another $280 or a total of $380 to jump in head first for all those calibers you talked about.
If it was me I would pick the caliber I shoot the most and start there. Step into casting and make sure I really like to cast before I dump almost $400.

Hope this helps ya get an idea of start cost.

dromia
11-06-2009, 05:46 AM
I'd add a bottle of Bull Plate lube as an essential to the above suggestions.

You can make good savings on the heat source and pot if you have that sort of stuff lying around or do car boot sales.

Then your costs would be moulds, ladle, lube and push trough sizing dies, Buckshot is yer man for these.

If you feel the need for a lubriszer then look for second hand ones

Also gas checks will be a cost if you are shooting these design boolits

Bret4207
11-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Are you a good scrounger?Do you have anything already- a Coleman stove or open coil hot plate of at least 1000 watts, any old sauce pans of steel, an old soup or gravy ladle, do you have reloading equipment to start with? If you have any of that stuff then all you really need is a mould to form basic boolits.

Wayne Smith
11-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Simpliest, cheapest way to get started: Heat source (2 burner Coleman stove w/ 20lb bottle), Pot not to piss in (old steel 1qt kitchen pot), Ladle (I bought the Lyman), some place to put the above, an old towel to drop them on, old spoon to clean the slag off, and the luxury is a thermometer so you have some idea of what you are doing. Molds are your choice and the most expensive part. Mold handles, at least one set for each type of mold. You can get away with pan lubing at first but as soon as you get into quantitiy casting you will want a lubesizer. I got both of mine off eBay, many of my molds that way.

Wheel weights, lead, solder, pewter, etc. to make alloy. That's an ongoing project.

The items above in parenthenses are what I started with and, over five years later, still use. I will admit to casting big boolits, though, as part of the reason I never got a bottom pour.

Edubya
11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Jason, it would be better if you could find someone locally that cast bullets and watched him. I think that most people are like us on this board and would be delighted to show a noobe the ropes.
It's difficult to tell someone exactly what they need, no one has mentioned a handle for those moulds. It would be kinda tough to cast without the handles. I knew that I was gonna go all of the way or not even start. I've overbought, but my equipment makes up for my inability. I've had several offers to buy my bullets, but I tell them that they could buy commercial cheaper than I can produce them. I've traded a few friends a couple of hundred bullets for primers, brass or other reload accessories, but I don't want to be put into a demand situation of exchange for financial gain.
EW

stephen perry
11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Jason
Get a copy of the movie Nevada Smith and see how they made and loaded bullets in the 1880's. Also some History channel shows are good on this. I have an RCBS loading tape I bought my kid back in the 90's that gives good instruction.

I recommend the LEE pot as the safest efficient start for a near new Caster. I use my 4 and 10 # now and I have had Lyman, Kenmore , SAECO pots during my 47 years of cast. If you go the Coleman be sure for safety sake you get a flat bottom kettle.

Not bad way to go with used if you know what you are looking for. Try the electric pot before you buy it. It should melt kead and hold a steady temp. If the guy is selling you a burnt out pot he's scum.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

awaveritt
11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I just recently got into this myself, but I would definitely not buy all the moulds at once, but that's just me. Try one (in the caliber you use most, to get the economy) and learn the in's and out's of the hobby first. Then add moulds as you go. If you start with all those variables, you may not ever get around to fine tuning, which in my view is one of the most interesting aspects of this thing. Have fun!

badgeredd
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I have hinted around at the idea of casting my own lead, but never really committed. Well, now that I have so many guns that I shoot lead in, it only makes sense. I shoot cast in .38/.357, .41, .44, .45 Colt and ACP, as well as .35, .375, and .45-70.

What is minimum cost I can expect for a complete setup to cast for these calibers, assuming 2-4 cavity molds, sizers, heaters, pots, etc?

The above suggestions and estimates are all good. One suggestion from me would be to get one mold that you are very likely to use in a couple guns. If you want to try some boolits before you buy the mold, simply go to the boolit exchange and ask. I recently sent some boolits sized and lubed to a fellow here on the forum so he could get a feel for several different molds...before he bought them.

In your case, I think I'd suggest you start with the 45s and try to find a boolit that will work in both. OR maybe the 38/357 and 35 rifle.

Edd

johnho
11-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, I just checked and I have 8 molds and all the STUFF that goes with it and have right at about $1900 in all. the cost for someone to get into casting is what they want to do, how easy they want to make it and how much they want to produce at a given sitting. Now this has taken me about 4 years to accumulate.

John

superior
11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I still use the same primitive set-up I began with. Coleman stove (running on unleaded gasoline) oval shaped cast iron pot found in Goodwill ($2), ladle($1), large wooden dowel, 1 small stick, oil can with motor oil for flux, a bucket of water with a floating sponge, leather motorcycle gloves, old Carhart coveralls,hat, etc. I crank out 3 different 30 cal boolits, 40sw,9mm and 45-70. I have LEE and Lyman moulds. I get more wheelweights than I can shoot for free at work. All in all, casting is the BEST thing I ever started when it comes to shooting and reloading. I enjoy being able to outshoot friends and family at target matches using superior ammo. And when their expensive J-word, store bought ammo is all shot up, it seems like I always have plenty more to burn and can blast with impunity. A lee sizer kit for my .314 diameter boolits ran about $15. Other than that, if you already reload, you can begin casting right away for very little cost. I have no desire to invest in more casting equipment other than moulds if I can get away with it. Last night, I whipped up about 50 Lee-457-405's. They are an awesome sight to behold and I wont have to gas check them.

bigboredad
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
if you want to see someone casting cheap youtube has some good videos that can give you a good idea of what you need I bought most of my stuff from the second hand store and use lee molds and sizers and I cast at least a thousand boolits a week so like the others have said it all depends on how much you are willing to spend

bohokii
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
my expenditures have been basically been the molds and the lee push through sizers (that come with alox

all the other stuff i rounded up

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_6929.jpg

but i only did this because i have a source of lead for free (ex-bullets from range)if i had to pay for lead i wouldnt go through this effort bear creek bullets are fairly cheap round my parts

AJ Peacock
11-06-2009, 02:13 PM

As has been mentioned, I'd start with a single GOOD mold. If you shoot your .38/357 a lot, I'd start there. Get a good iron 2-4 cavity mold of a boolit that you already shoot and have faith in. I'd get a good 20# Lee Bottom pour pot. If you believe you will stick with the hobby, I'd recommend a lube sizer. The RCBS/Lyman is a bit cheaper than the Star's but are a little slower as well. The cheap Lee push through sizers do a good job of sizing but limit your choice of lubes.

I'd buy 50# of good ingots from someone here on the forum and use those to cast my first boolits. This will simplify your startup effort.

I got into casting for about $200. I found a used Star sizer with a couple .358 molds and a couple sizing dies for $150 used. I added a 20# Lee bottom pour for about $60 and was able to start casting. By having the Star sizer, and the bottom pour, I have the basis for enough capacity in my setup to cover any of my shooting requirements. The key in my opinion is to decide what capacity you need. If you occasionally shoot 1000 rounds/month, I'd get a lube sizer and a 20# bottom pour. If you NEVER shoot 500 rounds/month then you could easily get by with a lower capacity setup.

I can cast and size enough .38 boolits in one afternoon to last me 2 months with my setup.

Hope this helps, finding this forum was certainly you best first step, it was a tremendous help to me.

AJ

Suo Gan
11-06-2009, 02:14 PM
If you get the fever for casting you will have to cast many thousands of boolits before you ever break even.

My problem with this addiction has always been trying to justify want v. need. Do I really need the larger pot? Well...and the rationalization begins. For $100 more I can cast so much more efficiently, etc. etc.

My advice, buy the best you can afford as most of it is built to last and take a good deal of use and even tolerate some abuse.

But first see if you really will like it.

Buy a good dipper (RCBS), a dutch oven, a Lyman double cavity pistol mold (probably for the 38 special, these can be had from evilbay for around $20-$30. Try to buy a set with handles already attached), a camp stove, some Lee Liquid Alox, and see if you like it. Assuming you do not have a camp stove, this will cost you a $100 or so to start. Then go from there.

If you don't like it sell the dipper and mold on ebay for more than you paid for them :).

Hope to see you around!

TAWILDCATT
11-06-2009, 03:36 PM
all are good sugestions BUT you will keep going as the push is still on.I just talked to lees order clerk and she states that there still going frantic.
so my sugestion from a poor mans view is get the Lee set up. the 4-20 pot
I like midsouthshooters as they will take back orders and hold the order till every thing is in.saves shipping.
lee 4-20=006-90947=$63.04
lee molds=2 cavity=$18.06 comes with handles
lee 6 cavity=$36.67+$12.68 handles
sizing dies=$14.09 comes with alox lube.
thats minumum and you can add.
you can pay more, like $268 for the lyman pot.and molds $51.25 double or single.
your choice.:coffee: :coffee:

fredj338
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't even try casting w/ an open pot & ladle. It just screams slow & tedious. Warf's list is a good basic setup, I would get the Lee 20# pot though. Midway has them on sale now for less than $60. I'm not a big fan of Lee 2cav molds, but not a bad starter. Then if you want to stay w/ Lee, go 6cav. I prefer the iron molds, but much beyond 3cav, they get heavy for extended casting sessions. Pan lubing & the Lee sizer works, but again, tedious. A luber sizer works far better for me.

Bret4207
11-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Here's a good pictorial by our own CFI.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=271268

JIMinPHX
11-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Brent, that didn't open for me.

It said something about needing to sign in.

bruce drake
11-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I've never thankfully tried to tally up what I have invested in my casting gear, it might scare me as to how much I've invested over the last 12 years.

I started with a steel pot on the kitchen stove, a large tablespoon, a Lee .312 185gr mold, a LEE Sizing die with LLA and a 10lb sack of boolits from the backstop at my local range.

Bruce

XWrench3
11-08-2009, 09:01 AM
initial cost of getting started is a lot more expensive than i though it was. it seems every time i cast, for the first 5 - 10 times, i "needed" something else. when i first got into this (about a year ago), i thought in a year, i would be breaking even. now, i am hopeing to break even in 5 years. if you only shoot a couple of calibers, and you smelt in the same pot that you cast in (which can get ugly), and you scrimp and just getby, you can get by and probably break even in a year. but i am one of those, "if your going to do something, at least do it right" kind of guys. i am on a budget, so some things take president over others. i still want more stuff, like a lube / sizer. that, i THINK, will be my last major investment. one thing NOT to skimp on is a decent resperator for smelting. after who knows how many sore throats, and God only knows how much nasty stuff i put into my lungs, i got one, much, much, much better.