PDA

View Full Version : LBT WFN vs LFN accuracy.

Changeling
11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
What would be the accuracy variance in these two nose shapes at 2 to 300 yards with a 300gr bullet at 1200 fps. Would one be more accurate than the other and why?

felix
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
LFN would be more accurate by some measurable margin, assuming the same rotation velocity as the WFN, which would be dependent on the LFN's ability to hold the lands equally. Lots of things happen out there in terms of wind friction. ... felix

Changeling
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
LFN would be more accurate by some measurable margin, assuming the same rotation velocity as the WFN, which would be dependent on the LFN's ability to hold the lands equally. Lots of things happen out there in terms of wind friction. ... felix

Felix I understand what you are saying, but with all things being equal are we talking a couple inches or feet. i have never shot heaver than 260 gr in cast.

felix
11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Put it this-a-way: Compare a fast knuckle ball versus a straigt-up fast ball or slider, and then you can visualize the difference. So, about the same at 50 yards, 2 inches at a hunnert, and who knows past that point. The WFN would be the knuckle ball. ... felix

Bass Ackward
11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Depends on the weight. Veral tells you that his bullet designs shoot better in the heavier weights per caliber and run up on the top. That is regardless of the nose width. So it really depends on what weight you want to run.

How a bullet flies is different from how a bullet launches. A well launched bullet can fly better than most people expect or think it should. But getting that slug to launch well can be the trick. What you want is a design with .... more margin for error otherwise known as flexibility.

But accurate is a relative term that will ultimately be decided by the gun more than anything. And sadly, it's not an easy thing to predict. Soon as you think that you have a handle on design, you get humbled.

Bass Ackward
11-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I know that this is really bothering you. So let's flip this around a little bit. We know that the wider nose causes more turbulence with air. Not too many benchrest matches are shot with blunt bullets.

What do you GAIN with the wider nose? How much better killer is a WFN going to be than a LFN? Is the hide going to be taken off for you if you use a WFN? Or is it going to laugh if you hit it with a LFN?

After you mull it around from that angle, then maybe the answer will be more apparent to you one way or the other. Cause you have to make the decision.

runfiverun
11-06-2009, 05:04 PM
i don't remember seeing too many flat nosed airplanes around either.
wedge shapes have better air flow characteristics,and air flows around round surfaces and follows it's contours.
square and flat deflects air movement. and causes air to build up on them surfaces.
it's called drag,and buffeting.

stubshaft
11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I've used both the LFN and WFN to kill animals. Can't really tell you which one is the better killer because dead is dead. In the calibers that I use nothing usually take more than a couple of steps (if that). While cleaning the animals I didn't notice any appreciable difference in internal damage either. I guess if someone were to use a marginal boolit there would be a slight difference but I have not noticed it.

44man
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I feel the same, no difference between the WLN and WFN on deer, which is all we have here.
I also see no difference in long range accuracy between them, just a small change in trajectory.
At normal hunting ranges, there is almost no difference at all.
Since I do a lot of shooting at 100 and 200 yards, someday I will compare each for you. I have not made it to the club this year to shoot to 500, been too much work here and the wife has disks messing up her nerve to her left leg. Cramped up muscles are painful.

MT Gianni
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
D
How a bullet flies is different from how a bullet launches. A well launched bullet can fly better than most people expect or think it should. But getting that slug to launch well can be the trick. What you want is a design with .... more margin for error otherwise known as flexibility.

But accurate is a relative term that will ultimately be decided by the gun more than anything. And sadly, it's not an easy thing to predict. Soon as you think that you have a handle on design, you get humbled.

Reread that first line until it is embedded in your brain. What a great statement. Whether we kick a boolit hard or slide it like a bowling ball, we can check it, add hardness, clean our bore, taper it, play with lubes and many other actions. We cannot control what happens when it leaves the bbl other than boolit selection. That does affect accuracy. Meplat can have a huge effect on tissue damage but only if it strikes point on. If yaw angle is such that it doesn't hit square or if it tumbles penetration will not be what we desire. That is determined a lot by velocity and bullet nose shape.
Work for balance between striking velocity and meplat. Study your targets for more than just group. Look for yaw or out of balance signs.

softpoint
11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Bass Ackwards, you are right on about the individual gun. I read here and there that the Keith style SWC is not one of the most accurate, but I have 2 .44's that like the 300 gr Lyman, SWCGC, which is similar to a Keith, better than anything else. And I have tried a bunch of boolits in those guns.:razz:

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Ive shot enough cast bullets in handguns to make this statement. Lfns ARE the most accurate handgun bullets period.

Changeling
11-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I've used both the LFN and WFN to kill animals. Can't really tell you which one is the better killer because dead is dead. In the calibers that I use nothing usually take more than a couple of steps (if that). While cleaning the animals I didn't notice any appreciable difference in internal damage either. I guess if someone were to use a marginal boolit there would be a slight difference but I have not noticed it.

Stubshaft. This is part of what I wanted to hear an experienced shooter say concerning the LFN and WFN. What caliber/weight do you normally use in hunting?

Loyd Smale, thank you also for the point blank answer concerning accuracy.

Actually thanks to everyone this went a long way in helping me to make up my mind on the first mold for the 45 LC, if I'm ever able to find the revolver it at a decent price, yes that is important to me.

I am confused about the statement that "softpoint" made on hearing "here and there" that the Keith style SWC was not very accurate. I was under the impression it was considered a very accurate bullet, am I wrong?
It's Meplat appears to be about the same as the LBTLFN in 45 LC. Not that this might be a accuracy factor.

Bass Ackward
11-07-2009, 06:15 PM
It's Meplat appears to be about the same as the LBTLFN in 45 LC. Not that this might be a accuracy factor.

The secret to cast is using a specific design to cover the mistakes that we or our equipment make up until the bullet is launched. After that, it's on it's own. The second part of that epiphany is regardless of all that we think that we know and do, proof of the taste still lies in the pudding or with the gun and the target.

If a semi-wadcutter gets you there, then that is the MOST accurate design in the world. For you. In that gun. At that point in time.

That is right up until your gun changes the phases of it's life cycle and prefers another design.

So go with what works till it don't, then change to something else. But don't change until the gun tells you to. :grin: