PDA

View Full Version : 45 load help, please.

badgeredd
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I went to a gun show last week and found a Hopkins & Allen Underhammer, "The Heritage Model" for $100. I needed some work so I got her all fixed up and ready to go bang. It seems to have a slow twist which is what I was hoping for. At any rate, what would be a good starting point for a roundball load? 3f or 2f? Any suggestions are welcome.

This is now my smallest bore muzzy and I love the feel of it. Nicely balanced!

Thanks guys.

Edd

Ajax
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
mine loves 75gr of 3f.

Andy

northmn
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Most people hunt deer with about 70 grains of 3f, give or take, in a 45. May go to 90 with 2f. I used to shoot Numrich barrels in my side hammers and found they also liked about 40-50 grains of 3f for targets. 45 is about the best all around caliber for hunting both deer and small game in my neck of the woods, may be a little light out west for longer shots.

Northmn

SPRINGFIELDM141972
11-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I believe I would start with 40 grains of 3f and work up from there.

You will find the weight distribution on that H&A will make getting on target a breeze. My father had one for years then sold it and I have been looking for another for a long time. Congrats on your find.

Regards,
Everett

Hanshi
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I've owned a .45 Heritage model since the mid 1960s. It is an extremely accurate rifle and I've taken small game, varmints and deer with mine. It will take a .440 ball but a .433-.435 was recommended when I bought the rifle. .440 is what I use but must use a somewhat thinner patch than usual. Nevertheless, They are quality guns. I always used 65-70 grains of 3f. That works on deer and puts 5 shots in one hole at 50 meters. I've tried heavier charges but the hammer cocks and my arm gets peppered and without any advantages. A barrel of only around 32" can burn only so much powder. Going much heavier than 65-70 grains of 3f will probably not gain that much velocity and wastes powder without improving accuracy.

mooman76
11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
My rule of thumb is to start out with grains equal to caliber and half for pistols so I'd start with 45gr and increase 5 gr. at a time until you find a load you like or you hit max. It really depends on what you are looking for also. Plinking, target or hunting loads. You could also drop it down a littl if you're just plinking.

Archer
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Mine always shot the best with 70grs. of 3F.
I've tried 60grs up to 90grs, but the 70gr load
always gave the best accuracy. I've taken a lot
of deer over the years with that load with no
problem.
Good find on that rifle.

badgeredd
11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys.

I loaded it with 50 grains to see how it would do. Quite accurate but it was getting dark so I only shot 2 loads. You all have given me enough info that I think I'll jump up to 65 grains tomorrow and then go from there. I will likely use it for some deer hunting late this season and definitely work with a lighter load for small game.

I had to replace the trigger and I made a front sight too. It appears that it has been used and fairly well taken care of. My understanding is that it isn't all that unusual for the trigger sear to be broken...as mine was. Fortunately I had another trigger from a kit receiver I bought that works perfectly. Now I have to get a replacement trigger from Fire & Iron for the project receiver.

Edd

northmn
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I've owned a .45 Heritage model since the mid 1960s. It is an extremely accurate rifle and I've taken small game, varmints and deer with mine. It will take a .440 ball but a .433-.435 was recommended when I bought the rifle. .440 is what I use but must use a somewhat thinner patch than usual. Nevertheless, They are quality guns. I always used 65-70 grains of 3f. That works on deer and puts 5 shots in one hole at 50 meters. I've tried heavier charges but the hammer cocks and my arm gets peppered and without any advantages. A barrel of only around 32" can burn only so much powder. Going much heavier than 65-70 grains of 3f will probably not gain that much velocity and wastes powder without improving accuracy.

If you are having a hammer blow back check the diameter of the nipple hole. Some of the early ones were pretty large and would also do that on side hammers. Replacment nipples are available for underhammers with smaller diamer holes through normal supply sources like TOW. They are also longer nipples than for a normal breech. Even if they do not go back to full half cock they do get blown back with lighter charges. That is likely what broke the trigger sear. Really do not gain anything over about 70 grains of 3f anyway.

Northmn