PDA

View Full Version : Lyman gas check seater

wistlepig1
11-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I have been having problems putting Hornady gas checks on my 22 cal. 44 gr bullits. Would a Lyman gas check seater help? Anyone use one?
Would it work on my old Lachmiller sizer/luber? thanks for any help

JudgeBAC
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I have one but honestly cannot tell you that it works any better than snapping the gas check on the base of the boolit and running it through the sizing die.

AZ-Stew
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I have one, too, and I think it's easier to get a full, square seat with it than it is doing it by hand. MHO

It's machined to fit the Lyman lubrisizer, so I don't know whether it would fit the Lachmiller or not.

Regards,

Stew

afish4570
11-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Bought one years ago and fumbled around with it and had more problems than if I seated each one by hand. IMHOafish4570

beemer
11-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I made a seater that I think works better than the Lyman. It is mentioned in Cast Bullets by Col. Harrison. I used a 3/4 aluminun rod, it was faced off in a lathe , then I turned a small shallow hole in the center to set a GC in. The center was bored a little deeper to create a shoulder. This forces the edge of the check on the boolit. I then turned a shoulder on the back to hold it in place on the die nut. The seater is about 5/16" thick and still leaves room to get most 30 cal boolits under the nose punch.

Hope I described it halfway decent, basically it is just a button that sets on top of the sizer with a shallow hole to set the GC in. I just set it on the die and put the proper top punch in and press the GC on. The only draw back is you need one for each caliber. I set up and seat all the checks and then lube and size.

I don't know how your sizer is set up but this works well on a Lyman or RCBS. I imagine the 22 cast is hard to handle on any sizer.

I don't know if this helps but I thought I would throw it out anyway.

Dave

wistlepig1
11-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Beemer,
that's a good idea. I have a lathe so it will be easy to make. With my 62 year old mechanic's fingers, 22 cal. anything is hard to handle.

My Lachmiller sizer/luber uses RCBS or Lyman sizer dies. Thanks for the help, martin

Bret4207
11-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Sometimes simply running the GC shank across your thumbnail will relieve enough of the "boogers" to let the check fit better. Other times you need to open the GC slightly with a rounded object. Some guys use ball bearings, last time I did it I used the pien end of a ball pien hammer. Just lightly tapped it and to opened the edge enough to fit better.

(Interesting- spell check hates both spelling of pien/pein but I know one or the other is right, and while it's spelled pien we "peen" a rivet. Weird ,eh?)

beemer
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Glad it helped but it was someone else's idea. I was thinking last night (dangerous), but being that a 22 is so short you could make a thicker button that is tapered toward the top. that would make more room for your fingers.

Dave

woody1
11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Sometimes simply running the GC shank across your thumbnail will relieve enough of the "boogers" to let the check fit better. Other times you need to open the GC slightly with a rounded object. Some guys use ball bearings, last time I did it I used the pien end of a ball pien hammer. Just lightly tapped it and to opened the edge enough to fit better.

(Interesting- spell check hates both spelling of pien/pein but I know one or the other is right, and while it's spelled pien we "peen" a rivet. Weird ,eh?)

FWIW, "pein" seems to be the generally accepted form along with peen. Another exception to "the i before e rule." But who cares other than the wordsmiths? We knew what you meant. Regards, Woody

wistlepig1
11-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Beemer,
one thing I did for the short #$%^% little bullets was make an longer top punch. I took a 3/8" piece of cold roll, turned it down to .220, shaped the inside to the bullet, and cut it off 1 1/4" longer than the standard top punches, easier!

I think when the weather turns here in Colorado and shooting isn't that much fun I will try your idea.

Off topic alittle, when you sort 22 cal. bullits is .1-.3 grs good or closer than that, .1 grs???thanks martin