PDA

View Full Version : 45 LC, LBT WFN vs LFN vs Keith, all with GC.

Changeling
11-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I would really appreciate opinions on these three bullet designs at 260 to 300 grains in 45 LC. I'm trying to decide on a mold. Witch ever mold I settle on will be with a Gas Check.

I would like to be able to load from 900 to 1300 fps. Basic use will be hunting deer, messing around with targets and things in general. Distances will be out to maybe 300 yards except for hunting witch will not be over 100 yards.

fredj338
11-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I have the 300grFPGC from Lee, good bullet, accurate. I also have the 270grSWC from RCBS, also a good heavy bullet. Cast of ww it goes closer to 280gr lubed. I prefer non GC for vel. to 1200fps, beyond that, the GC is nice as I like to run them about 12BHN. I rarely run past 1000fps though, so the GC isn't really helping unless I cast softer.

stubshaft
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I shoot the 300gr LFN in my FA83 .454. It is the only cast boolit that I shoot out of that gun because it is so accurate in it. I have a bunch of other moulds for the 45 (Lee 255RF, 255SWC, 300FP, 4544424, 3 more MM's and a couple of RCBS). I use these in my Ruger BH's and Encore. In my BH it seems to like the 255SWC and 300FP. The 454424HP looks promising but haven't gotten the load for it yet. At the speeds you are planning to shoot you could get by with a PB.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2009, 06:58 AM
a good 300 to 320 lfngc will probably be your best bet. That been said one of my favorite 45 bullets is the rcbs 300 swcgc. It shoots real well in every 45 ive tried it in.

Bass Ackward
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I would really appreciate opinions on these three bullet designs at 260 to 300 grains in 45 LC. I'm trying to decide on a mold. Witch ever mold I settle on will be with a Gas Check.

I would like to be able to load from 900 to 1300 fps. Basic use will be hunting deer, messing around with targets and things in general. Distances will be out to maybe 300 yards except for hunting witch will not be over 100 yards.

Opinions? :grin:

Are those molds being sold? Then that means that they are working for somebody. Does that mean that you will be one of those somebodies? Only Professor gun can tell you for sure.

Why not ask for a few samples and get your gun's opinion?

Changeling
11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
a good 300 to 320 lfngc will probably be your best bet. That been said one of my favorite 45 bullets is the rcbs 300 swcgc. It shoots real well in every 45 ive tried it in.

I guess I should have added that I don't even have the 45 revolver yet. I found what I'm looking for (BlackHawk 45 LC SS 5.5) but am having trouble getting them to answer my emails, also having trouble finding a local transfer agent. I know about the transfer agent lists on Gunbroker.com for anyones area. However this is a problem I will get settled.

As for the question, I am trying to figure out my first 45 mold relative to projectile weight and accuracy capability. I won't be ordering the mold or bullets till I get the revolver and see what has to be done to it so I can get accurate measurements, so I can order a mold.

I read an article last night by Linebaugh (on line, no date) on the 45 LC. His personal loads consisted of cast 265 Keith and 320 gr LBT both for hunting . However he didn't go into the accuracy differences between the 2 bullets.
That is what I am trying to do here, is there a real world difference between the accuracy of the 2 bullet weights are what? I don't particularly want the additional recoil of 300 gr bullets unless there is a good reason. I know there is definitely enough energy in either one, but the only cast I shoot so far is the 260 grain (WW) LBTWFN in a 44 magnum, and I have mostly shot from a few yards to 130 yards or so. That is going to change.
Thanks for all replies and input, feel free to say anything you like.

azcoyhunter
11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I shoot the Lee 300 gr
It shoots great in 45 LC
I like it since it is big and I can use it for 45 LC and .454 Casull

ace
12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I shoot the Lee 300 gr
It shoots great in 45 LC
I like it since it is big and I can use it for 45 LC and .454 Casull
What is your load using this bullet.I got some with my ruger.they were loaded with 11.0 gr, unique.and it shoots terible.There 50/50 ww and linotype.sized 452.

I get real good groups with other loads sized 452.so I know I just havent found the sweet spot yet...Any help...?

MtGun44
12-11-2009, 12:24 AM
No need for a GC on 45LC. My Group Buy 285 Keith is excellent in my FA SAA clone
and in my Ruger convertible. I also have a WFN LBT 255 plain base that shoots
extremely well in the SAA clone, not quite as well in the Ruger.

Proper boolit fit and alloy will prevent leading at any sane 45 LC velocities without
a GC. I have yet to find a handgun where a GC provided a demonstrable advantage
over good design plain base boolits. I am keeping an open mind, there may yet
be a situation where the answer is "GC boolit" in a pistol but so far I have not
run into it.

I use GC designs a good bit in rifles, never tried a GC design without the
GC, but need to give that a shot. ;-)

Bill

bigboredad
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I think a gas checked boolit design would be a waste of time effort and money. I shoot the lee 340 out of my blackhawks and loaded in .45 colt it fits in my .454 redhawk and puma rifle. I've shot these out of each gun over 1200 fps with straight ww ac and zero leading

odis
12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Montana bullet works lists cast bullets from 200 to 335gr. made from molds from RCBS Lee Lyman and LBT. You might try some different designs first before you buy a mold. I don't know if you are getting a faithfull copy of the molds in question maybe some one on this site might know. Also Leadheads sells a variety of different designs. I would hate to invest in an expensive mold like an LBT and have your gun not like it.

fredj338
12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
No need for a GC on 45LC. My Group Buy 285 Keith is excellent in my FA SAA clone
and in my Ruger convertible. I also have a WFN LBT 255 plain base that shoots
extremely well in the SAA clone, not quite as well in the Ruger.

Proper boolit fit and alloy will prevent leading at any sane 45 LC velocities without
a GC. I have yet to find a handgun where a GC provided a demonstrable advantage
over good design plain base boolits. I am keeping an open mind, there may yet
be a situation where the answer is "GC boolit" in a pistol but so far I have not
run into it.

I use GC designs a good bit in rifles, never tried a GC design without the
GC, but need to give that a shot. ;-)

Bill
Which is why I went to the RCBS 270grSWC. I had Erik @ HPMS do a multi pin HOP on one cav & I can now have accurate bullets from 250gr to 280gr+ w/o a gc. It is my go to 45colt bullet for the Ruger or if I had one, a FA.