The latest--I'm not cleared for full duty yet and may not be for several
more months. Physically, I'm fine, it's the psychological end that
still needs work and I'm getting it taken care of. I can tell you for
certain that center mass is no place to take rounds even with a Level
IV.

I've been to the range a lot, which cheers me up and I've grabbed my
kids and done some more of my walkabouts here on the mountain and am
getting lots of photos. Nights have been cold lately, too, so reading
to my kids around the fireplace with hot cocoa is always great.

There have been 5 arrests made, though they haven't been charged in my
shooting. I'm kinda glad they may not be, since the crimes they were
arrested for and WILL be convicted of will give them LWOP and shooting
that priest will give them their own brand of justice in prison.
Shooting a cop will give them Brownie Points. I don't want them getting
any Brownie Points, the s@n$0 b-s.

My vest, duty belt and uniform are still in evidence lockup so I haven't
seen them yet. I'm anxious to see how my St. Michael pin (on my vest)
made out. So help me, if it's dented I'll be at Mass every day for the
rest of my natural life.

All in all, I'm doing good and I want to thank you all again for your
prayers. I'm praying for you all, too. Whenever I retire I'll hit you
all up to teach me the ropes about casting. I can be a pain in the ****,
though, when I'm trying to learn something. I hope you'll be patient
till I catch on. ;)

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-02-2009, 01:43 AM
God Bless you and yours!!!

I like the concept of LWOP, gives them time to rehabilitate themselves.

Let us know when you want to get into the casting business. There is bound to be someone close enough for you and the herd to visit and learn from.

Rich
if you don't mind, we won't take you off of the prayer list just yet.

sav300
11-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Hi from down under,wish you a speedy recovery.

MaureenO
11-02-2009, 04:01 AM

Let us know when you want to get into the casting business. There is bound to be someone close enough for you and the herd to visit and learn from.

Rich

Please, please don't take me off your prayer list. I have need of help in my fight against certain demons and I need all the help I can get.

However, I WILL go back to the street! Maybe for only a month, but I WILL not let those b@st@rds win.

In the meantime, I will fly the desk and maybe close a few cold cases.

Mo

MaureenO
11-02-2009, 04:03 AM

Rich

One of them is a 3-striker and LWOP will get him a very short lifespan for shooting that priest.

Mo

Bret4207
11-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Keep plugging away. That's all you can do. Even after you retire you'll find yourself be bothered by stuff you haven't thought of for years that you thought meant nothing. Police works carries it's own brand of damage that's hard to get a grasp on. So just keep going and it'll gradually get better.

kbstenberg
11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Best wishes from Minn. May you fully recover. An All the others that Serve stay safe. An put those scumbags who pray on others where they belong.
Kevin

Ricochet
11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Just prayed for you, Maureen. God bless you!

clintsfolly
11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
just found this. please add my best wishes to the list!!! clint

cajun shooter
11-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Morin' Maureen, Glad to hear that you are having some down time. I wrote to you about my riding partner Jimmy. The day he did not wear his vest and the 21 that I never received. I was given a prayer card of St. Michael, patron saint that protects police officers, it was always with me. The priest that gave it to me was once a street cop. He carried a S&W mdl 60 with him on the road and said that he would use it if he had to protect someone or himself. I guess that cop training was still with him. When I was on the street and after leaving home I would always look back one time so that it would be in my mind. You are correct on the shooters that it would give them bragging rights in the pen. The best place that the courts could send them is to qualification day for the swat team. They will have a day that all they have done will be on them. Enjoy your hot cocoa with your family and take all the time the dept. wants you to take. Thanks for your chosen duty to help others. Later David

Wayne Smith
11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Maureen, keep in touch and we'll keep the prayers going. If the department supplied shrink is helping, good. If not, be willing to find someone who will. We do not expect everyone to work well with anyone. I'm in a clinic of over 60 therapists and we will routinely refer to one another or outside the clinic if necessary to find a fit with the client and their needs.

I imagine any one of us would be proud as punch to teach you to cast.

Mumblypeg
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey Mo! I had a friend named Maureen once, we called her that, hope you don't mind. I'm sure that you have been called worse... Funny that you would post, I was just thinking of you the other day ( no lie) and wondering how you're doing. The demons? Yea they only bother me in my sleep not when I'm awake. If you need anything, just ask, you might be surprised. Hang in there, it will work out. We are only a mouse click away...

The Double D
11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Hang in there gal, things will be just fine! I know, I know we are not suppose tocall you Gal, but I'm over 60 and incorrigible.

I took a knife in the stomach in 1974, hit two inches up from the bottom of my Centuruion BA. Contrary towhat we are taught, the knifle didn't pentrate. Broke a rib from the impact. Doc said a stress fracture from sucking my gut. Back then the counseling you got was from your SGT, and he would tell you get yourself back to work so people wouldn't think you lost your nerve.

So, I did. Spent another 10 years on the street after that before moving into Customs in 89. Retired in March 2008 after 32 in Law enforcement. From 83 to 89 I was out of Law enforcement and couldn't get back to it fast enough.

MT Gianni
11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear that you are healing inside and out. Best, Gianni.

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Good luck and get well.

waksupi
11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Glad to hear you are progressing. Time with your kids should be great therapy!

Echo
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Best wishes and good thoughts to you, Mo. You are in an extended family here...

SPRINGFIELDM141972
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are progressing. As with most all important things in life they take time aren't always easy. You are in my prayers.

Kind Regards,
Everett

iron mule
11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
hello maureeno glad to here you are doing ok// just a few words from some one that has been where you have --keep up the faith in yourself let your family be there for you never let someone make you think less of yourself above all else have confidence in yourself and understand that no one has the right to take this away from you=== take care i'll have you in my prayers and thoughts
mule

MaureenO
11-03-2009, 03:15 AM
hello maureeno glad to here you are doing ok// just a few words from some one that has been where you have --keep up the faith in yourself let your family be there for you never let someone make you think less of yourself above all else have confidence in yourself and understand that no one has the right to take this away from you=== take care i'll have you in my prayers and thoughts
mule

You are so right, my friend! Thank you for your prayers and know that you all are in mine. I have been keeping my Dad at a distance and I don't know why. I want to break down and cry in his arms, but he's going on 80 and it might be too much for him. So I hang on to my sisters. My brother is only 11 and is too young to do anything but make me mud pies!

I'm taking my time; listening to my peer counselors and dept psych and you guys.

A lot of you know more about what I feel than my own family do. I trust you.

Love,
Maureen ;-)

MaureenO
11-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Best wishes and good thoughts to you, Mo. You are in an extended family here...

And you are my family, too.

Mo ((hugs))

Cherokee
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
The best to you and full recovery, God Bless.......

The Double D
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
You are so right, my friend! Thank you for your prayers and know that you all are in mine. I have been keeping my Dad at a distance and I don't know why. I want to break down and cry in his arms, but he's going on 80 and it might be too much for him. So I hang on to my sisters. My brother is only 11 and is too young to do anything but make me mud pies!

I'm taking my time; listening to my peer counselors and dept psych and you guys.

A lot of you know more about what I feel than my own family do. I trust you.

Love,
Maureen ;-)

Maureen, you go see your dad and cry in his arms! He needs it as much as you do, probably more. All my years on the street and I was never more "scared" than when my son went to Iraq. We worry about our kids and try to be strong for them, like you are for you kids. But just as you felt a need to comfort your kids, you Dad needs to comfort you. You are his baby girl, no matter how old your are!!

MaureenO
11-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Maureen, you go see your dad and cry in his arms! He needs it as much as you do, probably more. All my years on the street and I was never more "scared" than when my son went to Iraq. We worry about our kids and try to be strong for them, like you are for you kids. But just as you felt a need to comfort your kids, you Dad needs to comfort you. You are his baby girl, no matter how old your are!!

I know you're correct and I will have to face him soon. My sister told him what happened, but it was the next day and when I got home my Dad called angry that no one had called him when I was in the trauma unit. But that was so he wouldn't drive down the mountain in the dark that late at night. My chief drove up to get my kids so they could see I was alive, just kinda jacked up.

I promised him I'd tell him the INSTANT I stubbed my toe from now on. I just didn't want him to be frightened and worried seeing me like that. I'll go see him tomorrow and bring the kids and we'll sit out under the big oak tree and probably cry a lot. I really DID want to see him, but I wanted to protect him more. It's funny that he said the same thing you did, D, that I will be his baby girl always.

I know I'll always feel that way about my kids when they grow up.

Maureen :wink:

9.3X62AL
11-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey, Little Sister! Good to hear from ya again. Sounds as if all is progressing well.

Check for PM.

casey
11-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Maureen, I cant say whats its like to be hit. I can say whats it like to be missed though. In my case he missed, I didnt. It was very hard on me for a while until i realized that he was willing to take my life. After that, I did,nt think that his life was worth mine. I am a God fearing man but at the same time, my life means so much more to me than than his did to me. That took a long time to come to terms with with. With Gods help You will come to grips with the fact that You did nothing wrong. The perp was the one with the issue, God bless You and please look ahead and not into the past, Things will get better. Please p.m. me if You would like to talk. It can help. I will keep You in my thaughts and will pray for your speedy healing. We all deal deal with with things on our on time frame, Yours will come.

Oldtimer
11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Mo, I know what you are going through. I was a street cop for a lot of years. Was never hit, but was missed twice. Neither case did I get to return the favor. My brother worked the street in Jackson. Punk shot him as he was getting out of the patrol car. Vest did its job. Said it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat. Punk is still in the big house. Take care of yourself, and let time do its job. You'll win in the end. Good luck. Bob

mroliver77
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Mo,I have no clue of what your feeling, I have never been there. I prayed for you then and pray for you still.
I do know about being a Daddy and having something happen to your baby girl. Enjoy your Pa while you can!
Is he the father(at 80) of your brother that is 11? Sorry to be nosy an aging fella needs to know. ;)
Jay

MaureenO
11-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Mo,I have no clue of what your feeling, I have never been there. I prayed for you then and pray for you still.
I do know about being a Daddy and having something happen to your baby girl. Enjoy your Pa while you can!
Is he the father(at 80) of your brother that is 11? Sorry to be nosy an aging fella needs to know. ;)
Jay

Yes, Jay, he's my brother's father. My Dad will be 80 next January and he and his second wife (my mum passed away) had my brother when my Dad was almost 70.

He always says that "just cause there's snow on the roof, doesn't mean the fire's out."

Maureen :)

MaureenO
11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Maureen, I cant say whats its like to be hit. I can say whats it like to be missed though. In my case he missed, I didnt. It was very hard on me for a while until i realized that he was willing to take my life. After that, I did,nt think that his life was worth mine. I am a God fearing man but at the same time, my life means so much more to me than than his did to me. That took a long time to come to terms with with. With Gods help You will come to grips with the fact that You did nothing wrong. The perp was the one with the issue, God bless You and please look ahead and not into the past, Things will get better. Please p.m. me if You would like to talk. It can help. I will keep You in my thaughts and will pray for your speedy healing. We all deal deal with with things on our on time frame, Yours will come.

Casey, I hope you understand that you didn't take his life--HE DID when he drew down on you. It was a clear-cut suicide and you were only the vehicle of his exit.

Maureen