PDA

View Full Version : Which behind-the-ear hearing protector to buy?

Naphtali
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
From observing a friend who wears behind-the-ear hearing aids that also incorporate noise attenuation, I've concluded that shooting protection of this kind is the best that I might be able to afford for wearing when hunting.
Here's what I understand from studying specifications sheets.

1. Electronic muff protectors can be among the least expensive protective devices to buy. But their NRR ratings (18-27) - the rating that quantifies noise attenuation for all protective devices - tend to be among the lowest, least protective of all.

2. Custom fitted in-ear devices are the most expensive, least intrusive, and tend to be the place where new technology enters the market first. NRR ratings (29-33) tend to be the highest of all devices, possibly because of sealing the ear canal better than occurs with non-fitted devices, possibly because of better noise attenuation technology. These also tend to be more temperamental to fit and wear.

3. The better behind-the-ear devices have NRR ratings (27-30) nearly as high as custom fitted in-ear devices at a fraction of the cost.

I've decided to buy a pair of behind-the-ear devices. Examining specifications does not inform me which brand or which specific behind-the-ear shooting protection is the most reliable. And that's what I need to know.
Here's what I don't know.

1. How much better, if at all, are behind-the-ear devices incorporating digital technology compared with those using analog?

2. Assuming digital technology is in fact superior to analog, how much technology is "enough?" How many digital channels is adequate? How much sound enhancement is adequate? Which devices retain sound clarity effectively while enhancing?

3. My experience with warranties when judging electronic devices is that they are not reliable indicators of quality. Which behind-the-ear devices have demonstrated reliability and durability - that is, which devices work properly, and work for a long time?

Rocky Raab
11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
You've done excellent research. Kudos.

You will get the best protection with a BTE device if it is coupled to a custom fitted earpiece rather than a generic foam plug. You can get any hearing aid outlet or ear doctor to make you an ear impression, from which such an earpiece can be made. Do get a soft earpiece, not an acrylic one. Either vinyl or silicone ones are great.

The difference between digital and analog is like CD sound versus AM radio. Now, the AM radio might be as good as your hearing can appreciate if you are already far gone - but if you can hear a difference between AM, FM and CD, then digital is the way to go. Analog is also on its very, very last legs; in a year or three there won't even be a lab that can perform maintenance or replacement of such units. I'd avoid them, frankly, on that basis alone.

My units are analog, almost 20 years old and custom in-ear. I still use them, but their days are numbered - it's even a chore to find the right batteries these days.

Full disclosure: I was a dealer for E.A.R. Inc for 15 years and sold thousands of custom-fitted plugs and hundreds of sets of electronics. But I retired three years ago, and have zero interest in the field other than dispensing what is now dated info.

Walker Game Ears is the best-recognized name in the field, but not the best quality. See www.earinc.com for the latest and best. Or call them at 800-525-2690. Tell them Rocky sent ya.

Trifocals
11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I have hearing aids for both ears. Yes, they have a limiting circuit that reduces the amplification when noise exceeds a certain level. BUT....and this is a huge BUT, all hearing aids that I am aware of have a vent hole/passage through them that still allows sound to pass. Don't believe that the amplification limiter will protect your hearing from damage, IT WILL NOT, unless the vent holes are plugged. I have a very good friend with double hearing aids who shoots a lot and thinks the amplification limiter protects his hearing. He wears no other form of hearing protection and is progressively losing more of his ability to hear. Years ago, I purchased a product called SONIC hearing protectors. They were an ear plug device that had a tiny hole to pass sound but incorporated a tiny valve that could close the hole. The valve was actuated by the pressure wave of loud, concussion type noises ie: gunshots. They were quite effective. You could hear normal noise and conversation but a gunshot was instantly attenuated when the valves closed. I had mine fitted into custom molded ear plugs. I believe this, or a similar product is still available. For shooting from the bench or just plinking I remove my hearing aids and wear ear muffs. If I have to contend with a particularly earsplitting loudenboomer, I wear ear plugs in addition to ear muffs.

Naphtali
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM
You've done excellent research. Kudos.

You will get the best protection with a BTE device if it is coupled to a custom fitted earpiece rather than a generic foam plug. You can get any hearing aid outlet or ear doctor to make you an ear impression, from which such an earpiece can be made. Do get a soft earpiece, not an acrylic one. Either vinyl or silicone ones are great.

The difference between digital and analog is like CD sound versus AM radio. Now, the AM radio might be as good as your hearing can appreciate if you are already far gone - but if you can hear a difference between AM, FM and CD, then digital is the way to go. Analog is also on its very, very last legs; in a year or three there won't even be a lab that can perform maintenance or replacement of such units. I'd avoid them, frankly, on that basis alone.

My units are analog, almost 20 years old and custom in-ear. I still use them, but their days are numbered - it's even a chore to find the right batteries these days.

Full disclosure: I was a dealer for E.A.R. Inc for 15 years and sold thousands of custom-fitted plugs and hundreds of sets of electronics. But I retired three years ago, and have zero interest in the field other than dispensing what is now dated info.

Walker Game Ears is the best-recognized name in the field, but not the best quality. See www.earinc.com for the latest and best. Or call them at 800-525-2690. Tell them Rocky sent ya.Rocky:

I've had your contact information on disk for a while, but I have not been prepared to pick your brain. I think now I am.

While I have significant tinnitus, my acuity with sound is still very good - that is, I can hear sounds well, but differentiating among specific sounds is not nearly as good. For example, club, rub, sub, cub tend to sound alike, but whisper or murmur the sound and I'll hear it.
Have you experience with Radians devices? They appear to be one of the larger competitors to Walker's

Regarding E.A.R., I intend to "harass" them the first of next week. You might be next??

The Double D
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Rocky,

How about carring this to the next step...tell us the ins and out of regular hearing aids.

trk
11-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Rocky,

How about carring this to the next step...tell us the ins and out of regular hearing aids.

AND, if you would, include info on Blue Tooth technology.

Could I buy ONE device that would: a) amplify; b) protect from loud noises; and c) connect to my cell phone.

Rocky Raab
11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Here we go ... First, I am NOT a qualified audiologist nor a licensed hearing aid provider. I gained my knowledge solely as a hearing protection dealer. Keep that in mind.

Now, all "valve" type hearing protectors are worse than worthless. No mechanical valve is faster than the speed of sound, so the first and most damaging pressure wave ALWAYS gets past the valve as if you were wearing no plug at all. It might block later waves and give the illusion of working, but the damage is done by the time the valve closes (IF it closes).

The only effective vented plug is the Hocks Ear Filter, which does not have any moving parts. It uses the principle of wave cancellation to reflect incoming sound waves back against themselves to self-cancel (think back to high school physics). It works. Valves do NOT.

On to electronics. Trifocal is spot on with his comment about vented hearing aids. The vent obviates ANY protection that a limiting circuit might provide. By the way, all hearing aids have that circuit, but it is there to protect the hearing aid itself, NOT your hearing. It is set way above the point where you get damage.

The best way to get a "two-fer" where a hearing aid doubles as a shooting plug is to get it from a shooting plug company. The good ones are EAR, Radian, Walker and ESP. The singular worst, avoid at all cost company is Sport Ear. Too detailed to explain why.

EAR, Radian and possibly ESP make devices that can be digitally tuned to your hearing loss, and thus serve as social hearing aids. Many or most users can wear them all the time. Walker does not offer that option, as far as I know. To use them in both ways, you must also have both vented and unvented earmolds. EAR offers a device with sized replaceable tips in both styles, but the proper way to go is with a behind the ear unit with two sets of canal molds. Just change the mold for shooting or social.

Again, none of this can be done with analog units, only digital ones. And even with digitals, you MUST have the unit lab-tuned to your hearing test printout when you order. They won't do it afterward.

Now the big unanswered question: price. I always told people that only you can decide what your hearing is worth. If it's only worth twenty-five cents, then get foam plugs. But if it's valuable to you, be prepared to spend in kind. Clear? Okay. You can get a semi-fitted pair of digital units (replaceable tips) for about $700 or so. For a pair of BTE units with two earmold sets, about $1200. (Those were the prices when I was still selling them. No promises.)

I've been away from the field for three years now, so for the absolute current products, prices and options available, do call EAR (800-525-2690) or Radian or ESP.

Edit: I forgot Bluetooth. Just ask. That wasn't an option when I was selling, but it probably is now.

Naphtali
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I ask what time it is, and I'm told how the watch works. Is this a wonderful forum, or what?

Thank you Rocky. I'll still probably call you.
You mention that the Hocks filter works. How does its cancellation effect compare with noise cut-off switching of better electronic devices?

Rocky Raab
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
A set of properly fitted plugs with Hocks filters will reduce incoming sounds to about 85 dB - which is about the level of sound in a moderate store. They won't offer any amplification, though. Plugs with Hocks are a very good solution for hunters with normal hearing. They're also absolutely superb for flying, driving or concerts/movies.

There are two kinds of electronic protective circuit: clipping and compression. Clipping circuits are like on/off switches; when the sound gets to a certain level, the circuit goes completely off until the sound drops. Effective, but can be disconcerting or very distracting. Compression circuits allow the sound to pass through, but dampen it down to a safe level. Think of a faucet where you can turn down the stream volume/pressure without turning off the water.

In comparison, the Hocks works like a non-amplified compression circuit. You still hear everything, but it never seems loud. (Soft sounds are also reduced a little, to be honest, but you can still understand speech and such when it's quiet, and better than if wearing plugs when it's loud.)