PDA

View Full Version : h&r .32 s&w shoots high

GrizzLeeBear
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Got out the range with the new H&R 732. Shoots good groups with a 96 gr. RNFP on top of 2.6 gr. of 231 and 98 gr. WC with 2.0 gr. of 231. Problem is it shoots 4 - 6" high at 25 yds.
Since this is a fixed sight gun, how do I get it to shoot lower? I know using a lighter boolit will make it shoot lower, but is there a way I can do it using the 98 gr. WC (I got a box of 500 of them to use)? More powder, less powder?

On another note, I did have one squib. Apparenty no powder in the case. Was on my second to last shot of all the ammo. I had loaded (only 50 rounds). I was on the lookout for them as I was shooting because of the way I had to load. I haven't gotten the micro disk for my Lee Auto disk yet, so I had to take the primed / flared case off the turret press and charge it with the Perfect powder measure, then put it back on the turret press to seat and crimp. I was suspicious that I might miss this step and proceed to seat a boolit after flaring the case (forgetting the powder step). I'm sure thats what I did. Of course, it lodged the boolit halfway between the cylinder and barrel, locking up the revolver. So, I just packed everything up and cleared it when I got home and could put the gun in a vise. Just took a few taps on a short dowel rod to push the boolit back in the case so I could open the gun and remove the empty cases and the one loaded round.

It is a fun gun to shoot though. If I can get a load to shoot to the sights it will make a nice small game / trial companion.

Wayne Smith
11-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I doubt you will get 4"-6" of change by changing your load. I'd look to your sights. You need a higher front sight. Try some liquid metal build up that you can file down at the range. This will tell you what you need, then try to find a sight blade that tall.