PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ rebarreling a Savage bolt gun

Jaybird62
11-01-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm getting ready to rebarrel a Savage Model 10 to .260 Remington. It's got a .243 barrel on it now. It's one of the newer Accu-trigger models. First, is there any web site that has step-by-step rebarreling instructions. Also, the extractor plunger is sticking, so I thought I'd try to take the bolt head apart to do a little polishing and/or replace the plunger spring. I'm having a tough time getting the pins out and was wondering if there is a special trick to getting them out.

Thanks,
Jay

jbunny
11-01-2009, 05:42 AM
hmmmm i have rebareled 4 savage, stevens and the bolthead pushes
out with a pencil. u have to take the bolt apart first, the bolt handle, and the fireing
pin. the fireing pin holds the bolt head pin from comeing out.
jb

Ricochet
11-01-2009, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsM6_J8doIE

11-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Not knowing much more than how to get to the breakfast table, I'll add this thought to your quest: Pins, sometimes, are directional. They go in from one side only, and should be removed out of that same side. I have absolutely no idea what you have there and have no experience with your gun. Just a bit of information you should track down before you go and start tapping the pins out. Soak everything in Kroil. Magic juice.

Three44s
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Jaybird62,

When you're "dancin' with Savages" ........ you need to drop in here and partake:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

And while you're at it .......... register for a year for $12 and you can jump into classifieds ....

Your wallet won't thank you ...... but what's life without a little fun???

Three 44s

AJ Peacock
11-01-2009, 11:44 AM
+1 three44's

You beat me to it.

AJ

Bad Water Bill
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Jaybird Savage is my second home. ANY questions about Savage arms will be answered shortly from very knowledgeable people.

Work on the extractor in a 1 gal zip lock bag as there is a spring loaded 1/16 bearing just waiting to go free. Still haven't found my first one [smilie=s:

223tenx
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I removed an original savage barrel by holding it in a wood vise and using a rubber welcome mat I got at the Dollar Store. The mat kept the barrel and action from turning and I used a large brass ball peen hammer to loosen the nut, with a savage nut wrench. Took a few whacks but it worked like a charm. Something I didn't realize when I installed the new barrel was I hadn't removed the front scope mount and a mount screw was in far enough to make the new barrel turn hard. Just something to check.

Jaybird62
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys. All good advice. I've got the bolt apart, and now all I need is a pin punch small enough to get the extractor rod pin out. It's sticking in the bolt face and won't throw the case clear of the action. I'm ordering a barrel nut wrench today from one of the recommended sites.

Thanks again for all your help. (I knew I'd get good answers from posting here.)
Jay