PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm, good boolits

Urny
04-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I was just gonna email NVCurmudgeon to tell him how well his H&G .45 wadcutters did in LINDA's new Commander, but decided, what the heck, I would inflict it on the rest of you, too. This was her first time to shoot it, and we had made up some real light loads with Bills' boolits and 5.2 grains of Unique, the same as was used with the 55 grains or so heavier revolver boolit test loads. They shot great! Functioning was 100%, which I did not expect from a new pistol and light loads, and the empties were located close by in a small pile. Nice. This shooting was offhand, so no group sizes, but the 12 gauge empties were aflying, though mostly from near misses. I t'ink this pistol will get a lot of use.

Tomorrow is my CCW class, so the Springfield 1911A1 GM was tested with Winchester USA white box stuff to make sure it will work OK. Ran like a brand new Chevrolet. I know how my Colt Commander runs and didn't need to test it for the qualification. Also I will take LINDA's old Detective Special, so three guns total. It shoots well, but a little high and left. Shouldn't matter at hard off the muzzle ranges.

It's been a lovely day.

Buckshot
04-23-2005, 05:27 AM
............Amazing how a good day of shooting can adjust your attitude! I on the other hand spent 30 minutes at the range Tuesday unloading through the muzzle, one at a freaking time, some BD 45's. No fault of the boolit. I had them seated out too long, and charges of surp WC820 had been loaded to lite to burn clean. It was a dismal PITA.

..............Buckshot

BD
04-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Buckshot those BDs are meant to be loaded to 1.20 OAL for 1911s. Too much longer and that fat nose will hit the slide stop pretty near every time. BD

Buckshot
04-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Buckshot those BDs are meant to be loaded to 1.20 OAL for 1911s. Too much longer and that fat nose will hit the slide stop pretty near every time. BD

Oh I had them seated out long enough so as to have them binding in the magazine! Never had a problem with them hitting the slide stop so I guess that's not an issue in the Witness. Nope, it was magazine binding and then failures to feed and/or lockup due to the volumns of unburned powder.

I had others loaded previously with W231 to the same OAL (Don't recall it at this point) and they worked just fine, so far as chambering and shooting went. Again no sllide stop issue, just the OAL kept me from being able to load a magazine full. I could load 3-4 in the magazine and anymore they'd hang up.

.................Buckshot