PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss Formula

clearwater
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Searching Archives I found a formula from Hodgdon on using Trail Boss
in rifle ammo. I also found a few recipes on their site for rifle with jacketed bullets.

Question- is that formula (70 to 100% case capacity) good for jacketed as well
as cast lead?

That'll Do
10-31-2009, 11:23 PM
I can't recall where I saw it, but I'm pretty darn certain that Trail Boss should *not* be used with jacketed bullets. I may be wrong (it's happened many times before[smilie=l:), but I've heard it more than once.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-31-2009, 11:31 PM
I have seen data on the Hodgdon website using Trail Boss and “J” word bullets. So, my guess is that it is okay for use with “J” words. However as far as your formula goes, stick with listed load data from a reputable source. Trail Boss has a very fast burn rate, a case 70% to 100% full might cause a real pressure spike.

What caliber do you have in mind for loading with Trail Boss.

clearwater
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I have seen data on the Hodgdon website using Trail Boss and “J” word bullets. So, my guess is that it is okay for use with “J” words. However as far as your formula goes, stick with listed load data from a reputable source. Trail Boss has a very fast burn rate, a case 70% to 100% full might cause a real pressure spike.

What caliber do you have in mind for loading with Trail Boss.

Here is the thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60865&highlight=trail+boss

Here is Johnny's post------

"I spoke on the phone with 2 different Hodgdon/IMR techs to double check on the data they gave me.
Trail Boss can be used safely in any centerfire cartridge if you follow these rules:
1) Mark the outside of a primed case where the bottom of the boolit will be seated.(not compressed)
2) fill said case up with Trailboss up to this line.
3) weigh this charge on your scale.
4) this is your 100% max load.
5) multiply the weight of this charge by 70%
6) this will be your starting minimum load.

You can multiply by increments of 75,80,85,90,&95%, or by whatever increments you like as long as you stay between 70 and 100%

I have tried this method with the following cartridges;
25-20, 257 Roberts, 35 Rem, 356 Win, 350 Rem Mag, 35 Whelen, and 45-70, all with Ranch dog moulds with excellent results.

This is a 257 Roberts target that I shot today @100 yds with a prototype Ranchdog mould and made a small elevation adjustment halfway through the group. 80gr RD.258 TL 12grs TrailBoss 10 shot 2-1/4" group.

Hope this helps, and like I said I double checked this info to make sure someone wasn't makling a mistake.

johnny "

clearwater
11-03-2009, 06:14 PM
called hodgdon.

They said the formula will work with jacketed or cast bullets. Said Trail
Boss does NOT like to be compressed. So for max loads avoid compression of
the powder by the bullet.