PDA

View Full Version : Jag stuck

smokemjoe
10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
After 40 years I stuck a clean jag, Just got this old 58 Cal. swiss rifle,Bore rusted,I soaked it and a miltary patch on the 58 jag went 1/2 way down with no push, but froze comming out and I unscrewed it off the steel rod and its in there, No what, Thanks

stubshaft
10-29-2009, 10:08 PM
I had that happen to me once with a .58 caliber also. The only way I was able to remove it was to heat up the barrel and get it hot enough to char the patch then I was ablt to pull it back out. You could try to remove the breech plug and push it straight through?

mooman76
10-29-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking your best bet would be with one of those co2 cartridge thingies to push balls out that forgot the powder. Other than that screw your rod back in and ancore it in a vice or similar and yank it out. If it were all the way in I'd say a couple grains of powder under the nipple but not sure it is a good idea with it half way in.

docone31
10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow, that is a dilema.
I would get a rod with matching threads on the end. I believe the jag is 10/32. Perhaps a 10/32 threaded rod. Then I would get threaded couplers. Perhaps the square ones.
You might thread the coupler on the jag, give it a couple of turns to make it tighter.
This I would make a handle. The rust will give rapidly.
While I was making this contraption, I would use a rust chemical. That I would let soak.
I had a rifle that had rust in the bore. The previous owner had let it sit. Here in Floriduh, you can see the rust floating in the air! Well, in the bore I had three spots that prevented cleaning, easy loading, etc.
I cut some patches, loaded powder, patch and ball, useing lapping compound rather than patch lube. I fired several shots. Each one got cleaner. I stopped when the ball went down the barrel the same pressure.
Another ejection technique, which makes noise, is to remove the nipple, put some powder in the nipple port. Load a cap, but be careful. You have a large space there.
I got one rifle that the owner had loaded a ball. It was stuck in the bore. I removed the ball, reassembled the rifle. I had prodded the barrel, not trusting it was empty. I got an hard sound, and feel. I figuired it was empty.
It was not!
After all those years, the powder had compacted and got quite solid.
It made a lot of smoke, the cats glared at me, the wife said what the *****! Well, at least I knew it fired.
A nice rifle now. Had its issues for a while.

idahoron
10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
if it has a 1/4x28 thread nipple, screw a grease zerk into the nipple hole and pump it full. It WILL push it out without any problem, and you won't mess up the barrel. You will have a cleaning job after but it is better than messing up a barrel. Ron

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Kroil...
fill the barrel and let it soak two days.

Rich

waksupi
10-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Yep, screw the rod back on, and some good lube like Kroil should take care of it. Once it has soaked a bit, if you have a steel rod, you can grip it with vise grips, and tap with a mallet to help it come out. You can do the same with a wood ramrod, but are liable to bugger the wood, and may possibly pull the end off the rod, and then you would have a bigger problem.
You may want to lap the bore with a loose fitting patch, and some lapping compound, or 0000 steel wool before trying again.
Don't try the powder under the nipple, unless you can drive the jag all the way down. It takes hardly any air space to ruin a barrel, one way or the other!

stubshaft
10-30-2009, 02:46 AM
if it has a 1/4x28 thread nipple, screw a grease zerk into the nipple hole and pump it full. It WILL push it out without any problem, and you won't mess up the barrel. You will have a cleaning job after but it is better than messing up a barrel. Ron

That's a heck of and idea! Gotta remember that for future use.

The problem is not only the rust. It is the pits created by the rust that the patch will gain purchase on when trying to pull it back out.

smokemjoe
10-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Well Thanks to you all, I think what has happen is the 2 in. sq. patch has built up behine the jag, I did the steel rod with a vise grip on it and no work,This gun is old before perc. and converted to perc. now, the nipple is rusted in and no top half for the cap.May have to pull the pull. Joe

Geraldo
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Rather than put the barrel in a vise and use vise grips on the rod, I've put the rod in a vise and pulled on the rifle. It gives you more to hang onto.

John Taylor
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I have shot a few out using about 5 grains of powder but the patched jag need to be close to the breach plug to get it to work. Shoot it into a pile of rags.
The grease gun trick has been around for a long time and will work, it's a little messy.

waksupi
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, if it is still stuck, here's another trick. Use some denatured alcohol, and flush as much oil out of the patch as possible.
This process assumes you are using 100% cotton. I will suggest you take a patch from the same batch, and a cup or dish to try this first. Put the patch in the container, and cover with pure household bleach. Check occasionally, to see how weakened the structure is. If it is working for you, you can continue on to your rifle
Pour some pure household bleach in the muzzle, and let set 15 minutes, or however long your experiment told you to wait.
Then try to pull the patch. Bleach will eat away and weaken organic material quickly.
Win, loose, or draw on this method, it is imperative that the bleach be cleaned from the barrel as quickly as possible, as it is an aggressive oxidizer. Then oil barrel well.

KCSO
10-30-2009, 12:55 PM
In our shop we use a fitting that screws into the nipple and has an air chuck on the end. Be Carefull where you point it and hit it with 90 pounds of air. Out comes the jag. It will go through a plaster wall if you are not carefull, don't ask how I know!

Beerd
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
would a strong lye solution eat away the patch?

smokemjoe
10-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Air , One time a fellow came in with a 58 Zourave, ball and patch , no powder, Would not worm out or fire out with primer powder, I took it down to the gas station and put air throught the nipple hole, When it went out it hit the pop cooler outside, then angle off and hit a car going by, car slow down and looked, seen me holding the gun and took off, So did I. Going to try the bleach next, Thanks- smokemjoe
When I got writing the above, I took a 3/8 rod and screw it to the jag in the barrel and like you fellows said put the rod in the vise and pull on the gun, I gave it a pull and almost fell backward, IT came out jag and patch, Last night I put WD down the barrel and the patch came out in pieces, Thanks for the help, JOe

451whitworth
10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
a friend brought me his muzzleloader two weeks ago with a jag stuck in it. there was no pulling it out. i poured a little oil in the barrel. this jag had female threads so i screwed a piece of 10/32 all thread into the jag. then i drilled a bore sized hole in a piece of scrap plywood to place against the muzzle with the all thread sticking out the hole. then placed a 3/4" socket with 1/2" drive cut out over the all thread and against the plywood with a fender washer and nut on top. tighten the nut and jag was drawn out in 30 seconds. if jag has male threads you will need a ramrod extension with female threads at each end. the best part is it is drawn straight out with no chance of damage and with no effort.

Taylor
10-31-2009, 07:37 AM
I personally have had better luck using compressed air to remove stuck things from my barrels.I use the blower attachment,hold to the nipple hole and out she comes.My brother got a cleaning brush stuck one time,he use a piece of copper tube to fit over the brush and just slide it out.

jim4065
10-31-2009, 08:02 AM
.......... car slow down and looked, seen me holding the gun and took off, So did I.........

:bigsmyl2:

mooman76
10-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Air , One time a fellow came in with a 58 Zourave, ball and patch , no powder, Would not worm out or fire out with primer powder, I took it down to the gas station and put air throught the nipple hole, When it went out it hit the pop cooler outside, then angle off and hit a car going by, car slow down and looked, seen me holding the gun and took off, So did I. Going to try the bleach next, Thanks- smokemjoe

That's odd. i was trveling through Iowa once and someone shot my car! I haven't been back since!:mrgreen:

hiram
10-31-2009, 04:11 PM
This is what I would do and the job would be done--I designed a homemade bullet puller which can take your jag out.

1-A threaded rod longer than your barrel.
2-A brass washer
3-A threaded rod connector of the same thread as the rod.
4-A second nut used as a locknut---I made an end cap.
5-A wrench to fit the nuts.

I have a hole drilled and tapped in each end of the threaded rod--one is 10-32, the other 8-32. Use whatever thread you need and both threads will handle alot of stuff.

1-Screw the threaded rod onto the threaded end of the jag.
2-Drop on the brass washer to protect the muzzle.
3-Screw down the threaded rod coupler onto the washer and use the wrench to start turning. The mechanical advantage of the screw and wrench will pull the jag up the barrel. I tried it and it worked on a stuck ball.

The second nut you would use as a locknut to screw the bullet puller screw into a ball and then proceed with 1--3 above.

cast-n-blast
10-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Joe, all you need to do is pour a little water in you barrel. When the patch absorbes the water, it will easily pull out, with your rod re-screwed to the jag. Happens all the time, and this always works ! I am a firm believer in Ballistal, a natural lubricant, which is water soluable, and an alkalide. This means it will neutralize the acidic BP residue. I always clean my BP rifles and pistols with hot water and then clean with dry patch. Then run a patch of Ballistal for a finisher.