PDA

View Full Version : 357 stainless

jtaylor1960
10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I just left the local gun shop. Once again they had set a trap for me .I just took a quick look twoard the gun rack and the owner commented about the new lever gun and then grinned in my direction.I looked over to see a new 1894 357magnum in stainless steel.Like every other lever gun lover you either have a 357 rifle or you want one.Well after telling the owner to order another one because I would take that one I ran home to check my trading stock to see what I would need to do to pay for it.So after all the excitement I should be able to pick it up over the weekend.I didn't even know they had a stainless 357 out in the 94 Marlin.Any one else looking for one?This one came from Grice's in Pa.They had ten before they sent this one.

shaner
10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
sounds like a sweetie yu found

EDK
10-29-2009, 11:58 PM
You just acquired one of the most desired rifles on the market. Go to gunbroker or one of the other internet auctions and see what they are going for...and the number of bidders. marlinowners.com has a lot of comments that will really make you feel good about your new rifle.

Congratulations and enjoy!

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

EOD3
10-30-2009, 12:53 AM
I've got one of the blue 26" Marlin Cowboy rifles in .357 that a good many people have tried to con me out of. [smilie=f:

ReloaderFred
10-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Most of the stainless steel .357 1894's going for large prices on Gun Broker are the limited edition (16.5" barrel) that Davidsons did several years ago. There were only 251 of them made in each of .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. I have the whole set.

The newer stainless steel .357 Magnum 1894 is the standard configuration and barrel length. If I could find one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps.

Fred

gon2shoot
10-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Good for you, I have 3 of the 357 levers and none are for sell.

Lunk
11-08-2009, 02:37 AM
I was lucky to get mine here a couple months ago.:bigsmyl2:

I felt the same as many new owners of that particular rifle that Marlin's QC was a little lacking (mine would not even load from the tube when I got it) but a couple hours of work with diamond files and a whetstone to remove burs cleared all that up.

It's the first levergun I've owned and the first gun I'll be casting for and so far I LOVE it. I was not sure what levergun I was going to get when I started shopping, thinking I wanted something with a nice classic looking hex barrel and then I saw a posting about these and new I had to have one.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k275/iianantir/marlin1894.jpg

Just Duke
11-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I was lucky to get mine here a couple months ago.:bigsmyl2:
Between midnight and dawn, when sleep will not come and all the old wounds begin to ache, I often have a nightmare vision of a future world in which there are billions of people, all numbered and registered, with not a gleam of genius anywhere, not an original mind, a rich personality, on the whole packed globe. -John Boynton Priestley

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k275/iianantir/marlin1894.jpg

Well said.
Wish my .357 looked that good.
:bigsmyl2:Beautiful.

doubs43
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Those are very nice rifles and I'd have one if a .357 Mag would reliably knock down a steel pig at 150 meters. Sadly, they won't so I can't use one.

Old Ironsights
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Those are very nice rifles and I'd have one if a .357 Mag would reliably knock down a steel pig at 150 meters. Sadly, they won't so I can't use one.

It won't? News to me. Try a proper 180gr boolit at around 1800... :twisted:

I'll knock down 200m rams all day. It's those dang Turkeys that give me fits.

EOD3
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM

You could always buy one with checkered walnut, then I'd trade you the 44 Mag model... :bigsmyl2:

doubs43
11-09-2009, 01:41 AM
You could always buy one with checkered walnut, then I'd trade you the 44 Mag model... :bigsmyl2:

I have a .44 Mag Puma 92. Does the job nicely without pushing velocities into outer space. I use a 240 grain boolit and 17.0 grains of 2400.

doubs43
11-09-2009, 01:56 AM
It won't? News to me. Try a proper 180gr boolit at around 1800... :twisted:

I'll knock down 200m rams all day. It's those dang Turkeys that give me fits.

We shoot 10" steel squares at 100 meters and pigs at 150 meters from buffalo stakes. We're not allowed vernier sights and must use barrel, receiver or tang sights of the post type. None of us have sights suitable for 200 meters and while your load may take down full size rams at 200 meters, only our Buffalo match uses that distance. Then there are two big rams and three quarter-size rams in each bank of five. Consistently hitting those 1/4 rams would be more luck with a lever action than good... and we've had a lot of shooters put vernier sights on their LA rifles and watch their groups open up badly. They're great out to 150 meters but the extra distance tells the tail. Our match also has 10 steel squares/disks of 10", 8" and 7" shot offhand with a revolver at 44 yards. The plates are heavy and a lot of .357 loads have spun them without knocking them over. Most have gone to .44 Mag revolvers.

I won't have any more doubt about the 150 meter pigs as I've just bought an 1895 Marlin Cowboy rifle in .45-70. It'll do the trick. [smilie=l:

EOD3
11-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I have a .44 Mag Puma 92. Does the job nicely without pushing velocities into outer space. I use a 240 grain boolit and 17.0 grains of 2400.

Well POO, if I can't con you into buying one for me I'll have to buy one myself. :sad:

fecmech
11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Two questions from a curious reader. Are you talking about "standard " size silhouette pigs and what are "buffalo stakes"?

doubs43
11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Two questions from a curious reader. Are you talking about "standard " size silhouette pigs and what are "buffalo stakes"?

I really can't say if the pigs are "standard" or not as our club doesn't shoot sanctioned NRA matches. I'd guess that the pig bodies are 10" in the vertical. I'll try to get a measurement but it will be December before I can.

"Buffalo Stakes" are simply two sticks crossed with a leather "hammock" to rest the rifle on while seated...... the same as the original buffalo shooters in the 1870's used. Simple but very effective in steadying the aim.

ReloaderFred
11-17-2009, 11:53 PM
jtaylor1960,

I just wanted to post a public "THANK YOU" for steering to where I could find a Marlin .357 Magnum SS 1894. I very much appreciate your help, and my rifle is shipping to my dealer first thing in the morning, and should be to me by Saturday. The owner of the shop you refered me to is a good guy, and I was able to help him with some contacts for other firearms while we were on the phone.

You also helped out a very good friend of mine in an indirect way. She has been looking for a Marlin 1894 for Cowboy Shooting, but hasn't been able to locate one. I sold her one of mine that had an action job and solid firing pin at a very reasonable price, since I'm able to replace it with this rifle you helped me find.

We both Thank you, again.

Fred

Just Duke
11-18-2009, 12:27 AM
jtaylor1960,

I just wanted to post a public "THANK YOU" for steering to where I could find a Marlin .357 Magnum SS 1894. I very much appreciate your help, and my rifle is shipping to my dealer first thing in the morning, and should be to me by Saturday. The owner of the shop you refered me to is a good guy, and I was able to help him with some contacts for other firearms while we were on the phone.

You also helped out a very good friend of mine in an indirect way. She has been looking for a Marlin 1894 for Cowboy Shooting, but hasn't been able to locate one. I sold her one of mine that had an action job and solid firing pin at a very reasonable price, since I'm able to replace it with this rifle you helped me find.

We both Thank you, again.

Fred

How much was the stainless one?

Bullshop Junior
11-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Nice.........Mine is Camo......

ReloaderFred
11-18-2009, 02:26 AM
"How much was the stainless one?"

It comes to $646.05, shipped from Pennsylvania to my dealer in Oregon. For some reason, they make him charge state sales tax on an out of state sale there. He ordered it in when I called him two weeks ago, and it came in today.

I was in Las Vegas last week and they had one at Bass Pro Shops for $999.95. That's the only other stainless .357 Magnum 1894C I've seen, other than the limited edition with the 16.5" barrel in my gun safe.

Hope this helps.

Fred

acemedic13
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm looking for one in .41 mag...... They are out there. Just trying find one within the budget and that is actually for sale....Thats the trick!

ReloaderFred
11-18-2009, 01:47 PM
The 1894's in .41 Magnum are out there, but relatively rare. I had my FFL for 18 years, and missed out on the first issue of the .41 Magnum. I bought one of the second issue guns, and it's proven to be a tack driver, and one of my favorite 1894's. I also bought one of the last issue .41 Magnums, but it's being "saved" in my safe. I also have one of the limited edition .41's from Davidson's, with the 16.5" barrel, in stainless steel. It's a part of the set, and there were only 251 of each caliber made. I'll never fire any of those guns, and at some point will sell the entire set, but I won't break them up, since they all share the same serial number.

I talked to the Marlin rep at the 2007 SHOT Show, and he told me there probably wouldn't be any more 1894's made in .41 Magnum. He told me that for every one of those they sold, they could sell 5 of the other calibers, so to hold onto the ones I've got. I had asked him if there would be a .41 made with Ballard rifling, but he told me the broach was something like $22,000, and that it wouldn't happen. That's also when he told me they wouldn't be making any more .41's, which is why they go for premium prices when you can find one for sale.

Good luck in your quest.

Fred

acemedic13
11-18-2009, 03:05 PM
ReloaderFred....Thanks....I think..lol....I appreciate the intel..

ReloaderFred
11-18-2009, 04:40 PM
acemedic13,

I'm going to the SHOT Show again in January. I'll ask at the Marlin booth if there has been any change in policy since Remington purchased them, concerning future production of the 1894 in .41 Magnum. There always seems to be a demand for them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

EOD3
11-20-2009, 01:48 AM
acemedic13,

I'm going to the SHOT Show again in January. I'll ask at the Marlin booth if there has been any change in policy since Remington purchased them, concerning future production of the 1894 in .41 Magnum. There always seems to be a demand for them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I'll take one of them off their hands. Blue, walnut, checkered, straight grip please. :D

Try the "If you build it they will buy" approach. :cool:

Four Fingers of Death
11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm looking for one in .41 mag...... They are out there. Just trying find one within the budget and that is actually for sale....Thats the trick!

You forgot one variable, when you have the money!

Four Fingers of Death
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
If you were really hanging for one, would it be worth rebarrelling?

ReloaderFred
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
There are two on gunbroker.com right now. Here's one of them: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146813669

Hope this helps.

Fred

acemedic13
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I saw the ones on gunbroker. The prices were not as bad as I thought. I am gonna give it some thought. If not....I will just hunt one down after this deployment. I always have money after deployments!!

ReloaderFred
11-27-2009, 03:29 PM
I received my new Marlin stainless steel 1894CSS in .357 Magnum today, thanks to jtaylor1960's help. It's a sweet rifle, but will go to Pioneer Gun Works, www.pioneergunworks.com, for an action job and one piece firing pin. All of my Marlins go there for smoothing up, and it's worth every penny.

Fred