PDA

View Full Version : Lead infused foam (or maybe rubber)????

MKT
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I was sorting through the buckets of wheel weights I have on hand today. Trying to organize a little bit since I had multiple buckets of weights everywhere it seemed. In the course of doing this I took the time to sort out all of the zinc and steel weights in a trash pile and all of the stick-on lead into a separate bucket.

During the sorting I kept coming across some foam rubber type stick-on weight. Heavy like lead but soft and easily compressed with finger pressure. I figure it is some sort of lead infused material. Has anyone else encountered this stuff or know for sure what it is?

I probably had about 10 pounds of this stuff by the time I was through. I decided it would be too much work to extract the lead from the rest and tossed it in the trash can with the steel and zinc.

billyb
10-29-2009, 05:10 PM
the stick on weights with the foam tape are pure or almost pure. melt them by them seperately. the are good metal well worth the effort. Bill

MKT
10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I have kept the stick-ons with the foam double sided tape. The stuff I'm asking about is a foam material, maybe a 1/4" thick, soft and squishy but heavy like lead.

sqlbullet
10-29-2009, 10:46 PM
3M™ Wheel Weights are made of a flexible and conformable material that is attached to the wheel using industry-leading 3M™ Automotive Attachment Tape. The results are an all-in-one, cut-to-fit precision wheel balancing system that has less impact on the environment than lead.

The above is from the 3M website. They don't say what it is, but it isn't lead.

MKT
10-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks sqlbullet. That is probably what this stuff is. Wierd stuff, rubbery but heavy which is why I though it was infused with lead. It probably smells to high heaven if you tried to smelt it. Glad I tossed it.