PDA

View Full Version : 12 bore conical bullet

OrenT
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Guys, I am taking an H&R model 980 rifles slug gun and making it over into a 12 bore hunting rifle. Making new stock, adding a rib and express sights. Yes, I'm crazy but isn't it an interesting project? I've found .72 cal lead ball at Cabellas but am looking for conical bullets. A friend at Hornady is working up some load data for me. I have brass to hand load it. Hoping to have it finished next week and be able to load a few rds to test fire it. I want to take it to the Tulsa Arms Show Nov 13 and put it out to show it off. [smilie=s:

Oren T
www.truittandson.com

JIMinPHX
10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Be careful that you don't end up with something that qualifies as artillery under BATF definitions. If it's over 1/2" in diameter & not a shotgun or a muzzle loader, then you might need to worry about that sort of thing.

JRW
10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Be careful that you don't end up with something that qualifies as artillery under BATF definitions. If it's over 1/2" in diameter & not a shotgun or a muzzle loader, then you might need to worry about that sort of thing.

taking heed of these points, you might look for "paradox" shell information on the net. Holland & Holland has brought out another Paradox gun and there is conical ammo in 12 gauge shells for this particular gun.

Good luck!

peter nap
10-29-2009, 07:30 PM

As along as it uses the 12 gauge case head configuration, it's legal.
That's how Ed Hubel got the 12 ga FH past the Regs.

Oren, what weight bullets are you looking for? There are a lot of them available and you'll love it. I've had more fun coming up with outlandish loads...I worked up a 730 grain bullet and load last night.:groner:

peter nap
10-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Oren, look at this thread and it's a long read.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7916

Ed has a lot of bullets he tested in standard shotgun hulls. You just have to read to separate it from the 12FH and other configurations.

Also, pay attention to the powders he uses. RE17 seems to be the hands down favorite.

Read about BRASS cases also. The Rocky Mountain cases are expensive but worth it.

Leftoverdj
10-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Talk to Buckshot. He reworked a Lyman 12 gauge mould into a bore filling conical for me. Worked great until the cat got into the shop and puked into the mould.

Cat haters can add that one to their list.

JeffinNZ
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Jim at CBE does a 12 bore bullet.

www.castbulletengineering.com

stubshaft
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know if NEI still lists it in their catalog?