PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

redneckdan
05-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Which brand of gas checks is better. Lyman or Hornady? thanks.

Duckiller
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
The sense of this board seems to be that Hornady now makes Lyman's checks. There should be no difference for NEW checks. I have OLD versions of both and some fit good and some don't. Depends on boolit. Had some that were too large, superglue fixed the problem real easy. Duckiller

Buckshot
05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
...............The GC is like boolit lube. It's only use is while traveling up the barrel. After that they're like mammaries on a boar hawg. As Duckiller said, if they're ALL being made by Hornady now, there may be no difference. Previously, back in the ouwld daze :-) the Lymans did not crimp on and it was intended that they would fall off.

Many took exception to this as the seperation didn't always happen and if it did it wasn't consistent. So shooters had visions of a partially ejected GC kind of lolling around back there on the steering end of the boolit, which caused them to get rashes, bald spots, BO and write bad checks. The Lyman's fell from grace and so maybe that's why Hornady makes them now?

Just to add, personally I can have unexplained flyers without using the old Lyman GC's so they were never much of an issue to me. I figured chances were good that they just might upset an otherwise 'off shot' back into line, heh. 8)

................Buckshot

Sailman
05-02-2006, 02:21 AM
I have gas checks that are from other companies other than Lyman or Hornady that are over 20 years old. I also have some old Lyman gas checks that are over 20 years old. I will use these gas checks for my WARMER BULLETS in the Military Bolt Action Matches, what the heck, they are only going to be shot into the backstop anyway.

Believe me, these old gas checks don't look like the new Lyman or Hornady gas checks. By the way, I also have some old Hornady gas checks which I would not use for serious shooting.

At any rate, after I establish some good reliable loads, I want to test the difference between the new hornady and lyman gas checks. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Sailman

Bucks Owin
05-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I know they aren't getting any cheaper! A box of .44 cal Hornadys cost me $31 yesterday! :(

Dennis

sundog
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I have some old Lyman 25s that separated very consistently from the boolit and almost destroyed a chrono. Only ones I've had a problem with. sundog

felix
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Larry's Gator checks have a larger/fatter lip for crimping than Hornady. These checks should be chrono ready, assuming standard diameter shanks. ... felix

Leftoverdj
05-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I still have several thousand of the old style Lymans. When I'm out of Hornadys, I use a chisel to burr the top edge at 90 degrees. Sizing wipes out the outside burrs and imbeds the inside burrs into the shank. I get a lot less fliers.

Bigjohn
05-03-2006, 03:42 AM
I have read that at this time ALL gas checks are being made by Hornady, (I believe this source of my comment is Richard LEE, Modern Reloading). I have both Hornady and RCBS gas checks (both lots over twenty Years old) and fired these into a limestone backstop from 50 yds. Recovered many of the projectiles with the checks still attached or just behind them in the dirt. My experience is limited as I normally use plain base Projectiles. Only ever used them in .30 Cal.