PDA

View Full Version : .44 Mag Rifle- Unique - 240gr LSWC Load

Hanzerik
10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I have read a lot of folks who use Unique for the .44 Mag with cast bullets in pistols, but am wondering how those loads would perform in a rifle/carbine.

Currently I load my .44 Mag with either a 200gr RNFP or a 240gr LSWC commercial hardcasts. These bullets get loaded over a charge of 8gr of Unique and function fine in my leverguns. But accuracy wise...not as well as I would like. I went out and finally shot for accuracy, most of the time I'm just out shooting for fun. Well, I had some WWB 240gr JSP factory ammo that I wanted to shoot off for cases to reload, and they were much more accurate (and more powerful) then my 8gr 240gr LSWC loads. I'm thinking a faster load using the LSWC might help in the accuracy department.

I hear folks who use a load of 10gr Unique with these bullets in their pistols, but would they also be safe for use in a rifle/carbine? Alliant lists 7gr of Unique for this bullet, is this a starting load, or do different manuals list different load data for Unique/240gr LSWC? What I'm basically looking for is one load for most uses, and will stick to that load so I won't have to worry about changing POI once my sights are dialed in. I am using Unique manufactured this year, I understand that this powder has gone through some changes over the years, and some folks say the new stuff has different characteristics then the older powder. I am wondering if the load data that folks have been using over the years has changed since the new "cleaner" Unique came out.

Thanks for any info.

oldhickory
10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
It's plenty safe for your Marlin. Speer #13 loading manual lists 11.0gr. of Unique as max with the 44-250 K-SWC boolit. Your manual may be refering to a swaged swc boolit, in which case Speer lists 7.0 gr. of unique as max because of the softness of the swaged boolit. These loads are listed in the handgun section as they don't list any cast in the .44 magnum rifle section. If they feed, 10gr. of Unique should work fine.:drinks:

smokemjoe
10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
I been shooting 13 gr. Unq. with 310 to 380 gr. bullets in the 41 Swiss, The case is longer and bottle neck, Mild loads, only 2 locking lugs. Very accurite, Joe

gon2shoot
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
10 gr. will do fine, I have gone up to..............well, 10 to 12 grain will make a good load.

EDK
10-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Go over to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's article on MARLIN 1894s...and some other interesting data. John Taffin did an article in the current AMERICAN HANDGUNNER on loading for 44 rifles and pistols.

According to conventional wisdom, MARLINS need larger boolits, harder alloy, gas checks and more bearing surface for better accuracy; also higher end loads and higher velocity. This might apply to other brands also. Taffin's accuracy load, IIRC, was a 240 grain SAECO round nose/flat point gas check and a heavy charge of 2400.

I haven't used much UNIQUE lately...TITEGROUP and HP38 are my current favorites. There's a lot of good powders out there, but there is nothing wrong with UNIQUE either.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Hanzerik
10-28-2009, 08:26 PM
My rifles are Puma 1892s with 20" and 16" barrels, but from what I have read they are just as strong as the Marlins. Heck they chamber them in the .454 so I would have to guess the action is strong enough. I was figuring this load should be ok in these guns. The thing I didn't get was why Alliant lists 7gr for the 240gr bullet, but 11gr for the 250gr load. The bullets I am using are 240gr Keith style LSWC.

Anyone have a guesstimate on how fast a 10gr load would be out of a 20" and 16" barrel?

Jeffery8mm
10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Welcome aboard. Lots of good info coming your way!!!!!!!
J8

AlaskaMike
10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
You might want to slug the bores on those--my Rossi measured .434" and I also had poor accuracy with commercial 200 gr. RNFP and 240 SWC (mine were Lasercast).

Mike

Hanzerik
11-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok, finally got out to shoot some of these 10gr Unique loads and had miserable results. 10gr loads were all over the place, but also had some rounds key-holing; five that actually hit paper. This was at 50yards.

I'm guessing either undersized bullet or too soft of a bullet at too fast a speed. there was no way to retrieve any fired bullets to look at them. The first key-hole was out of the 16" carbine, and then I tried the 20" rifle and had more key-holes then in the carbine. These bullets were from Lone Tree (http://lonetreebullet.com/), sized to .430 and according to the website have a BHN of 10.

After I shot those (15 rnds) I went and tried my 8gr loads which shot good with no signs of any problems. I'm pissed at myself because I have a ziplock bag full or 10gr loads that I did up after I loaded those test rounds. I should have shot those 15 rounds to see how they shot before loading anymore.

Anybody see an issue with me shooting the rest of the 10gr loads and then going back to my original load of 8grs?

Anyone more knowledgeable have any suggestions on what might be causing the problem? I will try a different bullet from another source, and will also try out some Hornady 240gr XTPs.

phaessler
11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Can I ask if the bore was slugged? Might be the real issue, I have yet to see a .44Mag that likes to shoot .430" boolits.
Just my 0.02

Pete

Hanzerik
11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
No, have not slugged the bore.

MtGun44
11-10-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Unique is one of the most accurate loads in my Win 94 trapper .44 mag.
My guess is that the diam is too small for your bore. Slugging is definitely on
the recommendation list.

Bill

Hanzerik
11-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, it was the bullets I was using. The new ones I got from a local (Cheyenne (http://www.cheycast.com/)) cast bullet maker shoot much better and there is no sign of leading, and no key holing. I was also sighting in the new sights I put on it last night; Marble front, folding rear, and Tang sight. Got within a couple inches of the bull at fifty, adjusted the sights, and moved the target out to 100yds were I was getting 3 inch groups with a stiff cross wind. I also forgot how much factory loads and that steel crescent buttplate pound my shoulder when shooting from a prone position.