PDA

View Full Version : Air cool boolits

Doc - J
05-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Will cast boolits get harder when let to set for a long time ( if so how long)
I'm thinking that this is the way to go if it works, instead of the water droping.

JDL
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
If you have antimony in the alloy, such as wheelweights, they will harden for about 3-4 weeks to reach their hardest point. I have good results with air-cooled w/w at close to 2000 fps. -JDL
Lead/tin alloys don't harden with age.

Dale53
05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
JDL is correct. However, most of the hardening (90% or better) takes place in two weeks.

FWIW
Dale53

44man
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know why you just don't water drop them? It makes casting so much easier. No fooling around with a towel to drop them on, no shifting them on the towel so other boolits don't hit them and no waiting for them to cool. All it takes is a 5 gallon bucket of water on a stool so you don't have to bend over. A true lazy mans casting! I love it!

Doc - J
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
So then it's a good idea to cast and store the boolits in my hot garage for a few YEARS... When I cast I cast alot, have to use up that ww lead, no sense letting it sit in ingots. ( well not all of it _ :-D
Should be like a fine wine, gets better with age..... :drinks:
P.S. this was last months take....

44man
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Send me a ton of it. My water bucket is empty.

bisley45
05-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't know why you just don't water drop them? It makes casting so much easier. No fooling around with a towel to drop them on, no shifting them on the towel so other boolits don't hit them and no waiting for them to cool. All it takes is a 5 gallon bucket of water on a stool so you don't have to bend over. A true lazy mans casting! I love it!

listen to 44man he is wise