PDA

View Full Version : clear shot

Trader Vic
10-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Can anybody help me out here? Some years ago Goex made a black powder substitute called "clear shot" that I had good results with. They no longer make this product. Does anyone know if there is still some sitting on a shelf anywhere or have some they would like to sell? My local dealer said his supplier still has some but he needs to place a combined order for 25lbs of powder, this will take him a while, who knows when. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

cajun shooter
10-28-2009, 09:27 AM
My friend and Goex distributor told me that Clear Shot was nothing more than APP as it was made by them. It seems that Hodgdon(New Goex Owners) and APP had a suit that ended in a court settlement and will not do business. I tried to get some back in July to no avail. I was going to put it on a shelf just to have as I like to shoot the regular BP. Perhaps you could find the APP and try it.

bubba.50
10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
don't know if it would be the same but, goex now sells a black powder substitute called "pinnacle" powder. for what it's worth, bubba.

Archer
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
As said above, I was told that
American Pioneer powder made
Clear Shot for Goex, and that
APP is the same thing, only
improved.

cabezaverde
10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I like APP, though I know there are those that don't.

Trader Vic
10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info Guys. I will try APP. I liked the clear shot because I could fire 15 rounds or more in a row with no fouling & it was as easy to load on the last shot as it was on the 1st. It was a snap to clean & I got great accuracy with my REAL 320 gr slugs. Thanks again. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Hellgate
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Goex made CLEARshot which was a BP sub that resembled a smokeless ball powder but was fairly underpowered. It was fine grained and black. The CLEANshot was what is now APP and the 2F looks like kitty litter and is dusty. CLEARshot is no longer made. I have a pound of it and will probably shoot it up in my revolvers. Pinnacle is similar to CLEANshot. That's how I remember it.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-29-2009, 06:44 AM
I am still utterly amazed that while blackpowder substitutes were developed for shipping, marketing, and reduced cost production purposes, they were widely sold to new shooters, especially in-line shooters, as being "better" in some aspect than black powder.

"Clearshot/cleanshot" products were developed for these reasons and others similar but because of the manufacturing process were both weaker and more corrosive than black powder. I am not aware of any accuracy oriented black powder shooting sport where these powders get the gold. BvT

Squint
10-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Trader,

Contrary to what some posters here seem to think, Clearshot is indeed a very good, useful product. It may not be the do-all, end-all best product for all applications but it certainly does work well in some situations. It suits my needs very well.

I have not bought any Clearshot lately but, as of several months ago, my dealer still had a good supply. Assuming he still has some available, I have no idea what problems there may be with shipping but I will PM his info and you can check with him.

Shakey