PDA

View Full Version : Can I even use "jacketed" loading data for cast bullets?

Bigoledude
10-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I am gonna be casting all of my own bullets soon. There are a lot of nice guys out here willing to give us recipes for literally every cast bullet out there.

But, even so, is there a rule-of-thumb when it comes to using data intended for "jacketed" bullets to reload with cast bullets? Or, is it a whole-nother ball-game?

Is there a site that has data for many different cast bullets? I'm gonna cast for 45-70 using a 405-420wfn. And, for .44 mag using a 240-260wfn also.

stubshaft
10-28-2009, 05:48 AM
You can use j-word loading data for cast. I generally start at the middle of the road loads but it depends on boolit hardness, fit and design (GC or PB).

Bret4207
10-28-2009, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't use top end loads for cast. But, you can use starting to middle of the road loads for cast boolits of similar weight. As a general rule cast boolits run at considerably lower pressures than jacketed, it's a function of the far more ductile material of the projectile. But you will get the occasional cast load that for some reason seems to run at higher pressure than a similar jacketed load in a particular gun. I'm fairly certain that's due to dimensions and sealing, but I could be wrong.

pdawg_shooter
10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Jacketed loads, even top end jacketed loads, will work great with cast if you paper patch them.

243winxb
10-28-2009, 10:21 AM
is there a rule-of-thumb when it comes to using data intended for "jacketed" bullets to reload with cast bullets? Or, is it a whole-nother ball-game? Rifles that list maximum velocity under/at 2200 fps for jacketed bullets can maybe use a hard cast lead gas checked bullet with the same slow powder by reducing the charge 10% The 30-30win would be one. There are many sites giving data, but to be safe , use only published data from reloading manuals. Some other calibers listed here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65917 I should add that pistol/revolver bullets need not have a gas check if the alloy is hardened with 6% antimony & 2% tin and velocity is below 1400 fps, air cooled cast.

357maximum
10-28-2009, 10:37 AM
When I started shooting cast in rifles I did not have this wonderful website to go from. I read very little and basically dove in. I had no clue what "limits" I had...I just did it.

So I used J-word data and treated the castings just like jacketed pills. I had some very early successes and also some very abismal failures. For the most part ignorance led the way and I did okay. Not till I was able to pick a few minds here did I understand "why" some of my efforts were so great and some were less than stellar.

If you use:

1. a nice tough yet mallable alloy (wd'ed 50/50 ww/pure for instance)

2. a gaschecked boolit of correct design that is a good fit to the playtoy at hand

3. an upper end charge with the slowest available powder that meets your velocity goals

4. a good lube such as LBT soft blue, Lars C-red, BAC, or a quality homemade

5. the rifling is is up to the task

6. Your brass prep/loading procedure is correct and CONSISTANT

It is rather amazing what one can do with a galena based boolit. I in fact I have a few loads in a few bottlenecked toys that I have actually backed down a bit for fear of tearing the snot out of poor little bambi.

You will be successful if you just dive in and do it....especially in the calibers you have listed. If you get into a snag.....you are already at the best place to find folks to help you out of said snag.

TXBRILL
10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I have spoken to the Ballistion at a powder company, he advised that it is perfectly safe to do that providing you reduce the charge by 10% to start. (they always say that)

Griffin
10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
my loads, i believe generate lower pressures with CB than with J-bullets. they seem easier to get through the barrel. i have one load for my 8x57is that are around 2200-2300 fps and it works when i have quenched the bullets to more than 25 bhn, i have around 30 in bhn.
/Karl

StarMetal
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
357maximum hit the nail on the head.:Fire:

Joe

1Shirt
10-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Agree with 357Max for the most part! Way back, and starting with 30-06 and 311284's, I used starting loads for 4895 with J's. Worked great in the old 2 Land Springfield. Accurate, no leading, what more could a novice want.
1Shirt!:coffee: