PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Deerfield

Newtire
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, what can a guy do.? Was in my favorite Non-Franchise gunshop today & found a very nice '94 AE in 30-30 Ackley Improved complete with 130 cases, a set of RCBS dies, a Lee factory crimp tool, & a set of scope rings mounted $375.00. I just up & laid it on the counter. Then, I went back & picked up the Ruger Deerfield .44 I have seen in there every time I go in & they had knocked off 50 bucks. Came with 2-mags & a set of mounts & rings.
I just wondered if anyone in here has loaded up any cast for this thing yet? I read a short thread that got started but didn't see anything conclusive. I know Ruger says to not shoot cast in one but neither are you supposed to shoot cast in the M-1 carbine according to some people. I personally shot a string of close to 400 rounds & then only ended up cleaning out a little carbon from the gas system. (Not to rub salt in any person's wounds but this shooting was all done with boolits lubed with the dreaded Lee LA.) So, I read Joe's post about this gun maybe being a tough one to get apart. I had to leave my new purchases for the 10 day California wait so can't tell. But anyhow, just wondered if anyone had some loads that would function the action in this thing.
I have all sorts of molds from 200 gr up to 300 and powders like BlueDot, Win 296, IMR & H-versions of 4227 and even some Unique.
I also saw 2-30-40 Krags for $370 & $400 apiece. They were both sporterized to some degree & was just wondering how to tell if one would have a cracked receiver & how could a guy tell (if one could even) by looking in the gun shop?

Sorry for all the lump of questions...Just seems to rain guns somedays.

Buckshot
05-01-2006, 05:42 AM
..............Don't know about the Ruger thingie. Aparently the main issue with the Krag was cracks around the one lug. The quick and dirty way to check is with gasoline. Dip the end of the bolt in some and wipe it off. If there is a crack, the gas will appear back up out of it and you'll see it.

................Buckshot

Newtire
05-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks Buckshot! That sounds like a pretty cool way to do it.
Now the issue comes up, is it really a good idea to buy another caliber of gun in the first place. Both Krags are "sporterized".

NVcurmudgeon
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Newtire, I got my first Krag this year and found out what I have been misisng all these years. Paid $385 for a sporterized '98 rifle cut down to carbine size with Lyman sights. It appears to be one of the Springfield modified into carbine Krags, sold to NRA members, then later had the Lyman sights added. I don't see anything wrong with a sporterized rifle if it is nicely done. Mine needs a replacement for an age-baked recoil pad, and stock refinishing, but that's no problem. I guess your prospects are right in the ballpark for sporterized Krags these days, ever price an original? If you can get one with a good bore and especially if the dealer will let you slug it you can come up with a good shooter, mine shot a 2 1/8" ten-shot group at 100 recently with cast! Go for it.

Newtire
05-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Newtire, I got my first Krag this year and found out what I have been misisng all these years. Paid $385 for a sporterized '98 rifle cut down to carbine size with Lyman sights. It appears to be one of the Springfield modified into carbine Krags, sold to NRA members, then later had the Lyman sights added. I don't see anything wrong with a sporterized rifle if it is nicely done. Mine needs a replacement for an age-baked recoil pad, and stock refinishing, but that's no problem. I guess your prospects are right in the ballpark for sporterized Krags these days, ever price an original? If you can get one with a good bore and especially if the dealer will let you slug it you can come up with a good shooter, mine shot a 2 1/8" ten-shot group at 100 recently with cast! Go for it.
Just wondering what I will do with one? Thinking that I won't find one in 10 yrs. Maybe will just have to go plunk down for one. .30-40 looks like the right length neck for a cast boolit cartridge alright. Then again, maybe I just like guns too much.

Newtire
05-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Picked up the Ruger Deerfield today & had a chance to do a quick teardown up to the gas mechanism. It is more involved than an M-1 carbine for sure (like Joe said).
I did find that the magazine will feed cartridges as long as 1.650" and at 1.655", they are graving the rifling, so think I have more than half a chance. The dual slide return spring mechanism isn't too bad & later sometime next week, I'll go for the pins holding the gas sleeve around the barrel. Looks like one of those mechanisms that I wouldn't want to take apart much in order so it won't wear out. More to come later. Gotta get going.

ruger4570
05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't have the Ruger Deerfield, I have the older 44 Carbine (Deerstalker ) I have shot some cast through it, but I finally went to straight copper jackets. The gas system is just too difficult to want to fool with. I have an original M1 carbine and have shot some cast through it, but again went back to copper. The Carbine is a snap to clean compared to the Ruger. I doubt Ruger was trying to bad mouth us lead guys, I suspect it was from associated problems with lube and lead getting in the system and messing it up to some degree.

Newtire
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I suppose you're right on that Ruger. It is pretty weird looking on the whole internet &not seeing any guys who regularly shoot lead in the Ruger Deefield like they do the M-1 carbine. Could be a "sign". Soon as I get that new Ranch Dog mould, gonna give it a try though.

Bucks Owin
06-01-2006, 10:58 PM
..............Don't know about the Ruger thingie. Aparently the main issue with the Krag was cracks around the one lug. The quick and dirty way to check is with gasoline. Dip the end of the bolt in some and wipe it off. If there is a crack, the gas will appear back up out of it and you'll see it.

................Buckshot

That sounds like it'd be a good preliminary test. I think I'd want to have it magnafluxed or something too before I shelled out some serious money for a Krag action. Heck, the .22 Hornet has been know to shear off that one lug....

FWIW,

Dennis