PDA

View Full Version : Question from a complete newbe

TXBRILL
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I have never cast a boolit in my life although shot many. I just started shooting muzzle loaders and would like to try to cast some 50 and 36 cal balls. What type of mold should I start with. Are the old fashioned ones easier or go with a Lee or Lyman type. I plan to just use a ladel and small stove

Thanks

10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
TXBRILL,
The cheapest by far is the LEE route. The nice thing about roundballs is that they tend to be the easiest of all types to cast. Nothing wrong with the small pot, a suitable gas burner and a ladle. A Lee mold with the small pot and ladle will for sure let you "test the waters" in casting without spending a ton of dough. You may find the Lee ladle to be a little iffy for most casting operations but probably OK for the roundballs. Since there is some choice on ball diameters you may want to try some different diameters and with different patching materials in your guns before settling on the best load or investing in the molds.

You asked about the "old style" mold. I assume you're referring to the one piece, cast "nutcracker" style? If so they work fine. May need some ground down side cutters or nippers to clip the sprue off after casting but it's an easy, straight forward task... no problem. Even a sharp knife will work... with some care not to cut your finger :)

Leftoverdj
10-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Go with Lee moulds. They are cheap, they work well, and they don't burn your hands as the old nutcrackers do. Skip the ladle. It's piece of **** and should not be encouraged. Get a Lyman or RCBS ladle or make do with a suitable junk spoon. Use any small steel pot. No aluminum, and the little Lee pot to be heated from outside is another piece of ****. Leave some lead in the pot you use so it does not get used for food.

HORNET
10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Lee round ball molds are very hard to beat. The tangential cut-off eliminates almost all the sprue 'nub' and makes life a little easier. A good ladle is necessary, even if you're low-bucking it. One of the neatest ideas I've seen on here was a stainless steel dog water dish with a few vent holes drilled near the top on the outside (to prevent trapping air/fumes) that somebody was using for a casting pot over a Coleman Stove (IIRC). Nice wide base so it didn't try to tip, big radius at the bottom so you could get at ALL the allow to mix it, no 'dead spots'.

Lead Fred
10-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Ive had the same Lee 45 cal roundball mould for years. Ive made so many from it, Im good for several more years, and I havent made any in two or more years.

My 30 cal and 45/70 moulds are also Lee. When they dont give me the groups I want, then Ill be moving up to Lyman. If not Ill keep using the Lees.