PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Notes?

SciFiJim
10-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I've only been reloading for about nine months now. I have seen some that say they keep lots of notes on everything, (alloy, reloading data, lube types and recipes). So far I have only worked up a load for my 1911 .45. Having only one to remember is easy. Now that I am starting to work up a load for my rifle, I see the wisdom in keeping good notes.

I have never been a good note taker. Can anyone give me hints and suggestions on how to keep good notes on casting and reloading and what things to record?

geargnasher
10-27-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a master reloading book that is tabbed for keeper load/gun combos that are proven to work, and has my general powder/primer/lube/alloy data and cut-out articles also.

I also keep a "log" of every gun I own, a cheapo spiral notebook for most (easier to deal with cause you can fold them back, unlike composition books or ring binders) and this chronicles all activity and information for that gun. I don't document cleanings, but I probably should. These logs contain a few targets taped in (if they document something meaningful or interesting), pictures, Chono printouts, load workups and range reports, et cetera. Reads more like a journal than anything, sometimes I have to dig a while to find data, but it's there if I need it.

At least get a multi-subject 3-ring binder and keep a tab (literally) on each gun you own, that way one day you won't be saying to yourself, "was that 5.5 grains under a 255 lswc in a .45acp or 4.0 grains under a 230 tc in a .45 Colt?"

Gear

stubshaft
10-27-2009, 01:30 AM
I have a couple of old note card (3X5) boxes with tabs that I have been keeping since the 60's. I use the tabs for the calibers and write down the load specifics on the cards. Like Geargnasher I also keep a notebook (small one like the cops carry) for each gun and take it to the range with the gun that I am shooting so that I can record the results and conditions. I keep a composition binder with a list of alloys and boolits that I cast with it including the loob and sizing information. I'm sure you could probably input all of the information in a spreadsheet program now, but I like writing things down and looking it up.

Buckshot
10-27-2009, 02:39 AM
.............I keep 3 ring notebooks with each dedicated to a caliber. Inside are dividers for each rifle of that caliber. For example I have 5 rifles in 7.65x53. Two M1891 infantry, an M91 Engineer's carbine and 2 x M1909 Cavalry short rifles. The 1st page in each rifle's section lists all that rifle's information from serial number to what it's barrel slugs.

Next are the load data sheets that are indexed by boolit weight from lightest to heaviest shot in that rifle:

http://www.fototime.com/987C9BAC58F1594/standard.jpg

I've been using these sheets for probably 15 years now, and they've gone through a couple minor changes but have remained like this for probably 10 years or more. In the upper right hand corner, 3rd line down says"Alloy". I used to list it like 2WW-1 lino, or pure lead, etc. Since making a BHN hardness tester I now list the BHN there. I have a range notebook I take to the range and it contains the data sheets for all experimental loads I currently have. Once the loads are shot, the sheet(s) come out and go into their respective rifle sections in the caliber notebooks.

The back of the sheet is used to attach the groups shot, which I cut out of the targets. If the remarks section at the bottom ends up being too small I have regular ruled 3 hole sheets I staple to the back of the data sheet.

..............Buckshot

JRW
10-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Buckshot; Ever considered putting a copy of your page into a file and making it available to the lazy ones of us? And Yes, I will admit freely to that, and am willing to head up a branch office of lazy ones here in So Az!

No, Seriously, it looks more complete than anything I have ever seen. You did a great job there.

Jim

troy_mclure
10-27-2009, 04:31 AM
i keep notes of # of rounds fired thru each gun, # of times each box of brass(rifle) has been loaded, good load recipes, data from chamber casts from my guns.

Gunslinger
10-27-2009, 04:41 AM
When i started reloading I was told this was neccessary in order to avoid total confusíon. Even though I only have 5-6 loads in it, I'm glad I started.

I have an A5 spiral notebook divided in 4 sections.

Alloys
Loads
Notes
number 4 is as of yet undecided.

This is how I list my loads.

Cal.

Alloy
Boolit
COL
Lube
Powder
Primer
Velocity
Test Weapon

To the right of the info i cut out the best grouping and clue it on!

Works for me...

Southern Son
10-27-2009, 05:40 AM
I had a four ring binder that I used for about 5 years, when I moved from Broken Hill to Goodooga, one box of stuff was lost. I had all of my best gun books and my four ring binder. Now I use a computer program given to me by a mate. My computer will probably crash, with my luck.

dromia
10-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I use a printed load sheet for ammunition data recorded in lots, I also take range notes when firing and this gets added when I get home.

I've started an excel version now in a vain attempt to get into the present, you can add photo's of the targets and import chrono data from your laptop. However I find this to take longer than just writing in down. I'm more familiar with a pencil than a keyboard.

Wiljens reloaders reference is worth a look if your starting from scratch.

Link Here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

AJ Peacock
10-27-2009, 06:53 AM
I've never been overly organized. I used to jot notes down in the margin of reloading manuals, kept spreadsheets etc. But I always ended up losing data. So about 8-10 years ago, I ordered a reloading logbook from Sinclair

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/8954/s

I have since recorded all sorts of data and have not lost any load data. I don't think it matters what format you use, as long as you start recording your data.

AJ

Bret4207
10-27-2009, 07:13 AM
I keep my notes in note books. Of course when you loose the whole freakin notebook you have a whole 'nuther problem.....[smilie=b:

I don't get real fancy- cartridge, load, COAL, any trimming and date. I also note any weird stuff.

largom
10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
My note books are very similar to Buckshots. A 3 ring binder for each caliber with dividers for each gun. First page has all relative info. for the gun, including serial number [this is important if gun is ever stolen]. Like Buckshot, I have preprinted data sheets so I only have to fill in the blanks, very fast and simple. I record all loads, good and bad, with a copy of the chrono results. Been doing this for over 20 yrs. and some binders have evolved into specific gun binders.
Its interesting to go back and see some of the things one did 20 yrs. ago.
Larry

Buckshot
10-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Buckshot; Ever considered putting a copy of your page into a file and making it available to the lazy ones of us? And Yes, I will admit freely to that, and am willing to head up a branch office of lazy ones here in So Az!

No, Seriously, it looks more complete than anything I have ever seen. You did a great job there.

Jim

...........I would except I dont know how to do that :-)

..........Buckshot

beagle
10-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I have been keeping all my records going back 15 years or so on a spreadsheet sorted by caliber. These are printed out and installed in a notebook in the reloading shop for instant use. Here, I can access on the computer. In this time, I have a pretty fair amount of data based on actual experiments.

Sit sown and think and ask: What will I need in the way of information to duplicate this load?

After that, make your spreadsheet and each time data is added, print that respective caliber page and insert in your benchside workbook.

Do your moulds in a similar manner on a seperate spreadsheet and you'll never be at loss for intstant information./beagle

jforwel
10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I started with an MTM notebook and data pages. Each gun was tabbed as stated above. Then another book was added, one for handguns and the other for rifles. Then another was added, both for handguns, one for under .40 cal and the other for over .40 cal. This will happen as you accumulate guns and want a load for every type of application you might use the gun for.

My load pages are arranged with cast bullets first, lighter to heavier and then jacketed bullets in the same order. I used to keep my gun tabs in a certain order too, but then I would get another gun and have to re-label every tab; I got over that part of my obsessive/compulsive disorder.

In addition to the load data I also include weather conditions, especially temp. I may test rifles loads in the heat of August and the cold of January. And I chrono all of my loads. Also include overall length for rifle rounds using a comparator which is repeatable regardless of the type or condition of bullet nose.

Since I started casting now I have to put down the type of alloy, or which batch of WWs I used, the type of lube, air or water cooled, sized or not, etc.

Number of rounds fired in every gun and number of loadings for all brass, which are kept in plastic MTM boxes; 20, 50, 100 count depending on caliber.

You will find over time that the symptons only get worse and there is no cure!

Shiloh
10-28-2009, 07:24 PM
The faintest ink is superior to the best memory.

Shiloh

Muddy Creek Sam
10-28-2009, 07:34 PM
BP is easier, One Note, Fill the CASE! :kidding:

Sam :D

XWrench3
10-28-2009, 11:17 PM
i was never a good note keeper in school, and pretty much thought they were just a p.i.a. but, if you are ever going to learn anything, at least in this feild, good note keeping is an absoloute must. like it or not. by the 15th load, you wont remember what the heck you did last time, let alone 5 or 10 times earlier. just a necessary evil.

beagle
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
A short pencil is better than a long memory./beagle

beemer
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
I keep a book with the basics, what I should keep better records of is what didn't work. If you don't you'll end up trying it again.

dave

jleneave
10-29-2009, 12:33 AM
It's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean.........never mind that is for something else!!!

Jody

geargnasher
10-29-2009, 12:38 AM
...........I would except I dont know how to do that :-)

..........Buckshot

I just tried copying a word file to post here, but the upload for a 1 page word doc is 29kb and the limit is 19.5 kb. I don't know how to do it either.

I have all my fill-in-the-blank load data and load workup forms in word format that I would like to share, I just print out what I need and keept the same format for all my keeper loads and workups. I really like having a special field for every pertinent piece of data about the load.

I don't include chrono data on my field tests, usually don't chrono stuff anymore so if I do I just include a printout to go with the range report.

Gear

kelbro
10-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Lyman (imagine that :)) has a great book, Reloaders Data Log, with 3-hole punched pages that are easy to photocopy.I have used it for years.

armyrat1970
10-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I have data from around ten years back. Yes it is good to keep all of your handloading data. However you see fit to do it.

fredj338
10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Even working w/ one caliber, it's tough to know what you are doing w/o good notes. You can make your own "log" on word, add as much or as little info as you need to reproduce the load. IMO, the minimum data needed:
type of gun used
powder type & charge wt.
primer type
bullet type & wt.
case brand
over all length
velocity (if you have a chrono)
std. vel. dev. (chrono again)
accuracy
misc notes
the sky is the limit, but that is the basic stuff to allow you to reproduce the load again.