PDA

View Full Version : Latest BAD Post Office experience

shooterg
10-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Bought a set of dies on another site I don't frequent much - sent USPS MO for a whole 20 bucks on 9/29/09. Noticed I had not received dies, went to the site, the fellow hadn't heard from me so he sold 'em to next in line. He was selling for a friend w/o internet so the MO was sent to the friend's address. Friend says he hasn't received it. Envelope had a return address on it but has not come back as yet. PO will not even tell you if the thing was cashed until you pay a $5.40 fee ! So you pay $21.10 for a $20 MO and $5.40 just to find out where/if it was cashed. And wait 60 more days for any refund. Guy selling it has been around a while , seems to have followed through on his transactions, so no reason not to take him at his word.

PO's reply to my request below:

"Reference No.: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Summary: Money Order

Your reported Incident has been resolved with the following resolution:
You may inquire about the status of a money order by going to your local Post Office and completing, signing, and filing a Money Order Inquiry, Form 6401. You must present the customer receipt to the Post Office for verification and pay a $5.40 fee.

If the money order has been cashed a photocopy will be mailed to the address shown on the Form 6401.

If the money order has not been cashed a refund will be issued to the address shown on the Form 6401.

Please note: Refunds will not be issued until 60 days after the money order issue date. Also, if the original Money Order is cashed after being replaced, you will be held liable for reimbursement to the post office for the replacement Money Order that was issued. We cannot put a stop or a hold on Money Orders. Money Orders have no expiration date."

Semi-government help at their half-a----- best. Bring back the Pony Express.

rockrat
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Sent a bunch of boolits/bullets for a member to try in his 50AE. Never made it there. Sure someone tossed the package and it broke and they went all over the floor.

montana_charlie
10-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Bought a set of dies on another site I don't frequent much - sent USPS MO for a whole 20 bucks on 9/29/09. Noticed I had not received dies, went to the site, the fellow hadn't heard from me so he sold 'em to next in line. He was selling for a friend w/o internet so the MO was sent to the friend's address. Friend says he hasn't received it.
Is this the part that that you blame the Post Office for?

Envelope had a return address on it but has not come back as yet.
You send money to the 'friend'...of some guy who doesn't know you are buying from him...and the envelope with the money is not 'registered', 'insured', or even 'tracked' with a Delivery Confirmation Number...and you feel dissatisfied because the Post Office doesn't have any information on it's fate.

PO will not even tell you if the thing was cashed until you pay a $5.40 fee ! So you pay $21.10 for a $20 MO and $5.40 just to find out where/if it was cashed. And wait 60 more days for any refund.
The Post Office offers a service which can attempt to discover if your money has been lost, stolen, cashed by the intended recipient, or thrown away (since nobody was expecting your payment). Are you saying you object to them charging a fee for that service?

Guy selling it has been around a while , seems to have followed through on his transactions, so no reason not to take him at his word.
Does that mean his 'friend' never received it?

Semi-government help at their half-a----- best. Bring back the Pony Express.
Half-a$$ed? Is that half-a$$ed when compared to all of the things you did to ensure a successful transaction...perhaps starting with the part where "the fellow hadn't heard from me so he sold 'em to next in line."?

I am curious about why you opened this thread.
I can't decide if you are looking for sympathy after being mistreated by the Post Office...or providing a 'learning moment' for others, to show them the worst possible way to make an online purchase.

CM

shooterg
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Just venting, Charlie ! I'm paying the $5.40 to discover if the MO was cashed. The PO charges no extra for tracking delivery confirmation after your initial $0.65 . Can't see how it costs more to track another piece of numbered paper you paid $1.10 for, nor howcome it can't be done on line. Now IF the thing was delivered/cashed, obviously my problem won't be with the PO (other than the IMHO over priced fee to track). And certainly I've learned (fairly cheaply) to stay with 2-party transactions !
My small local PO is full of people with attitude. One guy refused to accept a flat rate box that weighed over 20 lbs. until he checked the book and realized that limit was on International mail, while people lined up behind me. Yeah, they have 2 lines and his supervisor was too busy talking to a friend to open the one other line up. I've emailed the PO people complaints, but these guys pretty much have guaranteed employment unless they shoot a customer.
I really meant it as what you call a "learning moment" and a warning not to be as dumb as I was ! And if you work for the PO, don't mean to paint you with the same brush .

tomf52
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I sent a USPS money order in a Priority Mail envelope for about a $5 fee if I remember correctly. Sent to Maine from NE PA. Three weeks later it shows up at destination. I could have driven it there in 5 hours. All important stuff now goes in a UPS 2nd day mailer. Never a problem yet with them.

Gerry N.
10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
I wonder sometimes if my local PO is the only one in the country where the people are pleasant, competent, and helpful. I've never yet had a problem, the folks behind the counter have gone out of their way to minimize expense for me as much as they can and are always friendly. Maybe it's the water.

Gerry N.

Rick N Bama
10-28-2009, 06:29 AM
I wonder sometimes if my local PO is the only one in the country where the people are pleasant, competent, and helpful. I've never yet had a problem, the folks behind the counter have gone out of their way to minimize expense for me as much as they can and are always friendly. Maybe it's the water.

Gerry N.

My thoughts exactly, the guys & ladies at the PO I use are great!

Rick

timkelley
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
My local Post Office is great!

GP100man
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I send everything with confirmation# , just punch up the # & it`ll tell ya where it`s at at least!! best $.65 Ive ever spent sometimes!!!

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Count my PO in Nampa, Idaho, as one of the top one or two in the country w/regards to firearms stuff. I tell them the Bullshop shipping story and they just laugh!!! Every PMO I have ever bought they have given me this foot long receipt and circled the 800-number to call and check and the URL to do so with also. Never lost a single thing.

NOTE: those just look like postal money orders. They are western union in drag.

Rich