PDA

View Full Version : Lino mix casting soft?

303Guy
10-26-2009, 03:07 AM
I made a new lot of boolit alloy using residue, lead pipe and a big chink of lino. My first test, poured onto the kitchen sink was pretty hard and tough and broke on bending. Too hard I thought and the pot was full! But the boolits this alloy produced have reasonably ductile noses. Soft enough for an expanding hunting boolit. They easily swage into hollow points. Some of the boolit noses are visibly frosted while the rear shanks are all smooth and shiny and seem quite a bit harder. (These are nose poured in my mold that normally produces softer nose sections).

Bret4207
10-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Let it sit for 2 weeks then see what they do.

runfiverun
10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
it takes a bit of time for castings to reach their fnal hardness,even waterdropped.
hollowpointing lino will only make them break up on game.
but for changing the balance for a better target round it should work fine.

303Guy
10-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Well, I do have 'test tube' results to compare them too. I'll give them two weeks then 'test tube' fire them and see. I did suspect breaking up on game would be a problem. I just didn't expect the noses to be so soft when the alloy cast onto the sink was so brittle. Maybe my 'linotype' ingot is not pure lino! It did break on the bush knife 'chops' when struck with a hammer.