PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Delaware!

randyamerica
10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Ive never cast a boolit in my life. I'm just getting into it and stumbled upon your site. Really really great stuff here! glad this is available to me! Im looking to cast and reload for my 9x18 makarov and feg pa-63. I havent purchased any equipment yet but have a bunch of stuff on a wish list ready to go. If anyone has any advice for a brand brand new guy, it would be appreciated. Thanks guys,
-Randy

Dframe
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the site. There are many really knowledgable people here who are more than willing to help you along. There are hundreds of previous posts that provide a wealth of information as well.

randyamerica
10-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks! I couldnt seem to find a "introduce yourself" area, probably didnt look hard enough!So I hope this is ok. thanks for the welcome!

Bill*
10-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Welcome aw'right....(to the madness!) :veryconfu

desteve811
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Great another Delawarian!! Welcome!!

10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
randyamerica,

Welcome.

The archives are absolutely invaluable. I spent days reading and searching prior to posting my first question. I still go back to them as there is always a question, situation, or circumstance that needs clarification. Go here and bookmark it: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html

Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" is a must have. A healthy bank account helps, too.

I've always attempted to find my answer the old fashioned way -- by myself by reading, experimenting, etc. -- but others just prefer to ask. The bottom line, though, is don't ever be afraid to ask. You'll get more honest answers that you thought possible. Not all of them will be the right one for your situation, but they have all worked.

Casting and shooting boolits is a many nuanced endeavor. Enjoy it.

Wayne Smith
10-26-2009, 07:28 AM
You have a gun that takes a .366" boolit. Lee makes a mold, probably the only one other than a custom. That makes your decisions about molds easy! Most of us agonize over boolit design, you don't have to. Don't have to get into the positive Lee or Lee bashing threads, either.

Daym, man, you got it easy!

badgeredd
10-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome. Like Wayne said you have the first piece of equipment already decided for you unless you go with a custom mold. Collect your Wheel Weights and you'll have the second component.
Since you have only a Lee mold at your disposal at this time, it would be a good idea to read about Leementing in the Molds, Design, and Maintenance section. Also you'll find a bunch of useful info in the castpics section under member articles. Good luck and enjoy the hobby better known as the addiction.

Edd

randyamerica
10-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks a bunch! I have the lee mold on my wish list now! I like the addiction comment. I got into golf a few years back and now have a full scale "golf lab" in the basement! lol! I can see this heading in the same direction, going to have to clear out another area now!
.366 Boolit! check! More good info! thanks Wayne and badgeredd!

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Welcome. I believe you have stumbled onto the largest collection of helpful individuals on the web. If you are willing to research the site, you will find about every question you might have has been discussed a great length. You mentioned that you had a wish list. I would encourage you to put the Lyman Cast Handbook at the top of the list. That book is probably referenced here more than any other book for good reason. It is a world of information unto itself.

Regards,
Everett

randyamerica
10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Got it! Lyman "cast bullet" handbook! On the list! thanks!

randyamerica
10-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Edition 3!

HORNET
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, you could read up in the "Classics & Stickies" section at the top of the main forum index page, tons of good info up there. Brennan's book is probably a worthwhile buy for reference. Or you could do the sensible thing and run, its too late for us but you can still save yourself before you get pulled in too deep....[smilie=b:
Seriously, welcome...and don't believe everything you read about cats or sheep (them sheep LIE !!)

chevyiron420
10-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Ive never cast a boolit in my life. I'm just getting into it and stumbled upon your site. Really really great stuff here! glad this is available to me! Im looking to cast and reload for my 9x18 makarov and feg pa-63. I havent purchased any equipment yet but have a bunch of stuff on a wish list ready to go. If anyone has any advice for a brand brand new guy, it would be appreciated. Thanks guys,
-Randy

Welcome Randy!! I was born in Milford De. and lived there untill about 6 years ago. Now im down in Ga. and loving it!--phil