PDA

View Full Version : NO-DAMAGE SEATING Of Cast Boolits

BruceB
04-29-2006, 10:47 PM
A young friend called up today, all worried because he was shaving his new cast bullets when seating them. The cartridge in question is the .30-30. I advised him as to what I would do, and sent him forth to do battle yet again with the forces of darkness.

After giving the matter some thought, I got to wondering how many others are suffering the same difficulties. Therefore, I'm striking off on this tangent.

A lot of my gear is rather old, and precedes some of todays concepts by DECADES. I have RCBS dies dated 1967, which I personally bought in that same time period. This means NO "M" dies, or sliding sleeves in dies to guide bullets, or any of that. I've never seen instructions for the way I've been seating cast bullets for all these many years, either.

Take the 7.62 NATO stuff I was loading today. I sized them in an RCBS small-base sizer (I have an X-die now, but haven't used it yet). Rotating the turret one click brought up the M1 Carbine expander die, which is set to deliver a definite flare or bell on the casemouth. Then to the powder measure, and then on to the real reason for this thread, the seater die...an absolutely normal, garden-variety RCBS seater.

When I load JACKETED bullets with such seaters, I set the die body as low as it will go without crimping cases, and then adjust seating depth with the seating stem. In this manner I get the maximum guidance for the bullet by the die walls as it travels up into the die before seating takes place. If this die setting is used for CAST boolits, that flare or bell is removed from the case mouth as soon as it enters the neck portion of the die, and....in many cases, the bullet is damaged by the case mouth after it's been straightened-out by the die's neck diameter.

I break some hard-and-fast "rules" when I load my cast ammo, at least by some folks' judgement. When adjusting for seating cast boolits like those I loaded today, I set the die body EXTREMELY high in the press, and the seating stem very low in the die. What I'm aiming for is to have the die's neck diameter contact the casemouth just before the end of upward travel by the case. In this manner, that flare on the mouth is preserved until the bullet is virtually seated at its final depth. Hence, there's little chance of damage by the case mouth scraping the bullet. My friend likely found that his long-necked .30-30s had the neck about 1/4" into the die neck when upward progress stopped, but he 's very happy with the results.

If one takes some care in placing the bullet in the casemouth, meaning as well-aligned as a reasonable eyeball can determine, there's little to go wrong. The bullet's positioning is guided by the base being IN the casemouth flare, and again by the seating stem inside the die centering the nose. I've never discovered any untoward misalignment using this method.

My young friend called back after adjusting his dies as above, and was both gleeful and grateful. His rounds were seating just fine, and he will be re-adjusting the seater to apply a moderate crimp for his tube-mag rifle after all the loading's done.

Most of my handgun loads use flat-nosed cast boolits, and I've even been known to use a larger-caliber die to seat the bullets in my Dillon 550. For example, a nicely-flared .357 case with a decently-aligned SWC bullet gets perfect seating in a .41 Magnum die with SWC stem, and there is NO chance of removing the flare on a .357 case in a .41 die! The round then proceeds to the final station on the 550, where the desired crimp is applied and no bullet damage is inflicted. Until I adopted this procedure for .357s, my dies were giving me fits in terms of bullet-scraping and slivers of alloy where they shouldn't be. There truly are other ways to skin some cats.

For a REAL heresy, how about this? On occasion, I've done seating to about 90% of full depth OUTSIDE the die, by using a flat surface between stations on the underside of the turret. With certain cartridges and dies, it was impossible to seat satisfactorily in the conventional manner, and again, so long as the bullet is in good alignment (straight up and down from ALL angles) it works well-enough. This takes careful control on the press handle, to avoid too-deep seating, but it can be done. Seating is then finished to final length with the die, and once again, there's little chance for the casemouth to damage the bullet.

As a final justification for the 7.62 loads above, these are the same recipe and methods used to load the 311467s which put ten rounds into 0.60" yesterday from 50 yards with the M1A's issued iron sights. I'd say that's not too shabby....

Dale53
04-29-2006, 11:58 PM
BruceB;
And I would say that it's not too shabby, also:drinks:

Seems like you are able to "think outside the box". Having some mechanical ability is NOT a detriment when reloading.:)

Dale53

versifier
04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
You know Bruce, that's another one of those flashes of genius that makes me smack my forehead and ask why I never thought of it. It makes perfect sense. I'm going to try my .40S&W die to seat some .357's today and see for myself what happens on target vs. the some I did the "regular way" a few days ago. It might be a week or so before I can get to the range, but even if it doesn't shrink the groups, it got me thinking in a new way about an old problem. Mille grazie!

NVcurmudgeon
04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Still another two-page post by BruceB well worth printing out and placing in an easily retrievable place in the archives. Along the same lines, the recent proliferation of .30-.31 cal. cast boolit launchers around here has forced me to make up a chart and post it over the bench to remind me of which sizing die, RCBS case mouth expander plug, boolit sizing die, and seating die to use for each cartridge. Helps to promote damage-free seating without having to re-invent the wheel every time I load. With calibers other than 7.62-7.65 mm, life is so far much simpler.

StarMetal
04-30-2006, 12:05 PM
One might take a look at Hornadys New Dimension dies, they have a whole different bullet seating method they the old convention seating dies. I also use other caliber dies to seat smaller caliber bullets. The 30 Lugers I'm fooling with currently are tricky to seat bullets in. The neck on the case isn't even 1/8 inch long and there's not alot of guidance there. You can't flare them an awful lot either, again because the neck is so short. A crimp is very important on this round because, again :roll: , the neck is so short there's not alot of tension to hold the bullet. But for what it is, it works pretty good.

Joe

redneckdan
05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
I finally got my lee flair die from the shop, I ordered/paid for it last october.:roll: I don't know how I loaded cast rifle boolits without it, much better results now.

Leadmine
05-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Great idea. My question is how much difference is a shaved bullet going to make? When I load and I see a sliver of bullet come off I always position the loaded rounds in my ammunition box so I when I shoot them I know they are "damaged"..in other words I shoot them as "rejects". Any severely crunched bullets or case mouths are pulled and not shot.However, I can't really say that they shoot any worse or better. I've been doing this quite a while and a sliver being shaved doesn't seem to affect my accuracy. What is others experience?

slughammer
05-03-2006, 07:11 PM
My question is how much difference is a shaved bullet going to make? .... What is others experience?

Perhaps it depends on the application and what one considers acceptable results.

For plain base ammo ponder this. Is that lead sliver what is causing the leading in my revolver barrel? Perhaps this is why some people experience leading, that nice sliver of lead being ironed into the grooves.

I load mine using as many steps as necessary to avoid shaving.

Char-Gar
05-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Bruce...Thanks for your post, as usual it is thoughtful and helpful.

It is probably just some silly quirk but the notion of the bullet being seated with pressure on the nose and little support on the side sorta give me the willies. I sold out to "straight line" seating back in the mid's sixties with the Vickerman.

I can have straight line seating with cast and not bell cases or shave lead. Let's talk 30 cal here, which is mostly what I shoot.

I have an inside expanding plug machined in 001 steps from .307 to .317. I run the case into the plug die until the gas check or base will start by lighth hand pressure. The leaves the rest of the insideof the case necks in a funnel with .001 steps. I can use this plug on any size cast bullet.

I then seat the bullet in a straight line die. I have a custom sleeve for my Vickerman in .3125. Bullets that size or less use the Vickerman. Fat 30 are seating in a Lyman .303 Brit/30-40 PA (Precision Alignment) seating die where the ID of the sleeve is .316.

The whole notion of supported straight line seating may be a myth, but I have pretty well bought into it.

-----------------------------------

JSH
05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
My pet round for CB's is the 30-20 with the 30-30 falling in on a close second. I may go through a bit more than needed on the 30-30, but the 30-20 case is about like loading a cigarrette paper as delicate as the are. I use an M die most of the time and the 30 caliber lyman tapered expander the rest of the time, depends on what bullet I am using and for what gun.
I do for the most part as Bruce does, but may have to try somthing different in the seating area of the 30-20. I can fool around with the die for the little bugger and get the seating depth timed with the crimp. Not really a crimp, but just smooths up the bell as the BF pistola is pretty tight chambered. If you over do it, the 30-20 brass it will leave a bad buldge that won't chamber at all.
The 30-30 is about as user friendluy of a round as I have came across for CB's. I picked up a set of the Lyman collet dies and happy with them so far. I then ran across a set of Reddings in 30-30 that came with an X-die for less than I gave for the collet dies. So I am playing with both.

As to shaving bullets. If a FLGC had a wrinkle in it, ya think it would shoot the same? Any of my loaded rounds that don't look right or didn't feel right when I was building them get a black magic matker mark on them. I use them for fouling and practice.
I load a pretty handsome bullet IMHO. Any of them that get buggered up I worry about.
Kind of like me when I am shaving, get a little buggered up and I am not quite as handsome for a day or two. Glad I was born this good looking, as I wan't born rich, lol.
Jeff

doc25
05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
I had problems with the 30-30 seating any bullet Lee dies. They would actually turn sideways and bend the case. So I took a 303 brit FMJ and put it into the case mouth upside down and seat it part way comes out easily due to the profile and the cases are belled nicely. Drop the bullet on it and seats well no more bent cases.