PDA

View Full Version : WW & Zinc

unique
10-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Since there are more and more Zinc WW I am guessing that WW in general will become contaminated with zinc as time goes on. What I mean is that today a recycler comes in and picks up the used WW takes them to the WW 'factory' who them probably melts the whole lot, zinc and lead together.

So as time goes on I expect WW to become problematic as far as fillout and such. Anyone agree, disagree, or don't really care?

docone31
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
A recycler will seperate lead from all of its components. From that point, alloying in various alloys will begin.
Zinc will, have become seperated.
I use zinc for castings in my paper patching, with decent results. I use smokeless, not BP however.

jbunny
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
A recycler will seperate lead from all of its components. From that point, alloying in various alloys will begin.
Zinc will, have become seperated.
I use zinc for castings in my paper patching, with decent results. I use smokeless, not BP however.
could u tell us at what ratio ww to zinc u use and how do u get it to mix. i had tried
half and half and it turned to slush. i tried the same with pure lead and it would not mix.
thanks jb

docone31
10-24-2009, 09:02 PM
What I do,
I get the mush, then start adding lead. At the point where I can reliably pour ingots from the melt, then I add a little more lead and make ingots. I keep the heat high. Rarely do I need to add tin to the melt with very high heat.

jbunny
10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
thanks' do u use electric pot with this alloy to cast bullets???
any idea how hard these bullets are??? how often do u flux and
what do u flux with??? thanks for your time and answers.
jb

trk
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM

THIS should be a separate topic! I'd love to see pictures too!