PDA

View Full Version : All the WW smelted or cast.

ScottJ
10-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, I have now run through my first 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights.

Bought it back in March for $25 and didn't get around to buying equipment and getting started until August.

Smelted the last of them today into muffin tin ingots.

How do you guys store the ingots? Is just stacking them on the concrete floor in a corner of my reloading room OK?

Time to hit up the tire store for another bucket.

jnovotny
10-24-2009, 08:10 PM
You can store them on the floor thats fine .Mine are in 5 gal buckets under the bench in the garage. They aren't going anywhere.

targetshootr
10-24-2009, 08:24 PM
That first batch is the most fun. I store mine in anything that looks empty or needs to be empty. hehe.

ScottJ
10-24-2009, 08:28 PM
It was fun. I wound up with about a pound (2 half muffins) of stick on weights.

Not very much zinc or steel weights culled out either.

Goatlips
10-25-2009, 12:40 AM
I put my muffin ingots in orange (fruit) mesh bags for convenience. They're synthetic, strong, and free.

Somehow they hold the exact amount of ingots that I can lift easily, and are simple to swing under a bench for storage. My bags are only for WW ingots so I don't bother to mark them. Works for me. :Fire:

Goatlips

clintsfolly
10-25-2009, 11:30 AM
if you stack on the floor put a board on the floor to stop moisture from getting on your ingots clint

mooman76
10-25-2009, 02:59 PM
I store the larger ingots that I got tierd of making small ingot on the floor in the garage. Smaller ones in ammo cans and a milk crate. Make sure you mark them what they are in cas you ever get other lead some day and don't want to be guessing years from now what they are. Moisture won't hurt none uless you intend to melt it any time soon. Then just make sure it doesn't have moisture on it. Even a little can be a big problem when adding to hot lead. You just need to get it to a place to dry good first or what I do is add to the pot before it is started and the heating of the lead will dry it plenty quick.

Tom W.
10-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Make sure you mark them what they are in case you ever get other lead some day and don't want to be guessing years from now what they are.

Believe me, It doesn't take that long......:bigsmyl2:

big dale
10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
I prefer to store mine in 44 Mag or 45ACP cases.

Big Dale

bohokii
10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
i got a little red wagon full only about 80 left

geargnasher
10-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Here are the ingots I make and use (1 lb exactly). They can be stacked cris-cross like this or stacked together to make a solid block if you want.

Gear