PDA

View Full Version : H&G #50 6 cavity value

357maximum
10-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Whats a H&G #50 (older Sandiego) 6 cavity with handles both in excellent almost new condition worth??

Kinda curious as to how well I did on it.

thanks,
Michael

runfiverun
10-25-2009, 12:40 AM
mike thats one of their more common ones i'd p.m. texas fly boy for a value.

rugerman1
10-25-2009, 01:13 AM
$150 to $175 would be a good buying price.$250 would be a good selling price.

357maximum
10-25-2009, 02:19 AM
WOW, I did really really........really good on this beast then.........I am gonna keep it and likely get rid of my rcbs twin if the H&G casts a boolit ye ol 38's like.

I paid...................you ready for this?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, apparently I should have worn a mask.

:bigsmyl2: $30 for it, a bunch of old powders (12+ lbs) and a bunch of m.e.c parts at a gun auction of all places.....................[smilie=p: nanner na na na na naaaaaaaaaaa[smilie=p:

I always read about such deals............feels really good to actually be the one doing the writing on this one..............must have made up for a few turns on this deal eh?

Echo
10-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Did you have a mask & a gun? Wow...

Dale53
10-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a six cavity H&G #251 (dbl ended wadcutter). It casts wonderfully well, but MAN is it heavy!! It weighs nearly five lbs and using it in a conventional manner sure tires this old man out (NO! It is NOT for sale[smilie=1:).

What I really should do, is build a bullet casting box rest like I have seen the old commercial casters use. I'll probably just continue to "tough it out". There sure is a lot of "IRON" there, tho'.

Dale53

rugerman1
10-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Dale,those heavy H&G's build your grip muscles making you shoot better. :mrgreen:

GabbyM
10-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I quit trying to bottom poor my H&G six and ten cavity moulds. Saves lots of wrist strain to just lay them on an aluminum plate and poor with a Rowel ladle. I mount the handles backwards with the sprue plate lever sticking out the front. I've this thick piece of scrap Nylon I drug home from the shop after cutting a gear out of it for Kraft foods. Using both hands I pick up the moulds and whack the sprue plate on the nylon, turn the mould upright and drop the hinge on the nylon block. Usually the bullets fall out. I have a 6” fan blowing onto the mould at this point. I pick up a pair of pliers and put the sprue back into the pot. Repeat cycle. With the ten cavity I an make a drop every thirty seconds.

Dale53
10-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I have no problem using a bottom pour (my RCBS pot has a rest while the mould fills) except picking the mould up a hundred fifty times an hour wears this old man to a frazzle. I swear the six cavity .38 WC mould weighs TWICE what the four cavity H&G .45 mould does.

rugerman1;
Maybe that is why my scores are getting somewhat better?:veryconfu:veryconfu. Or, is it "In spite of":bigsmyl2:

Dale53

crabo
10-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I got lucky and bought 5 H&G molds when I first started casting. A friend of mine told me he thought he got as much production from a 4 cavity as he did the 6 cavity H&Gs because of the weight and getting tired. I pooh-poohed the idea until I really started using them. And that is why the MiHec 6 cavities are so great.

Dale53
10-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I got lucky and bought 5 H&G molds when I first started casting. A friend of mine told me he thought he got as much production from a 4 cavity as he did the 6 cavity H&Gs because of the weight and getting tired. I pooh-poohed the idea until I really started using them. And that is why the MiHec 6 cavities are so great.

Amen!

Dale53

rugerman1
10-26-2009, 07:39 AM
I wonder why the pot-belly H&G 6-cavs never caught on?The're way easier on the wrist that a standard 6-cav
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/sawrm1/Oct312008002.jpg

MKT
10-27-2009, 01:51 AM
A friend gave me an old HG #50 6 cavity. I used it today and threw boolits for an hour. My pot is reheating right now since my wrists have recovered, I'll throw another hours worth before hitting the rack. Using the 6 cavity really piles the boolits quickly.

Same friend also gave me a beat up HG #50 10 cavity. With some work I should be able to make it useable, but I'm not too sure I could handle that one. It has got to be some kind of heavy when filled with lead.