PDA

View Full Version : Will the 1895g work with Lee 500gr gc?

superior
10-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I'll have my new guide gun in a few days and I've yet to order a mould. I was thinking of starting with the Lee 500gr gc. My thinking is, I can shoot without the checks at about 1200fps and with them for higher speeds. Has anyone used this mould with success in the Marlin?[smilie=w:

DLCTEX
10-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't know anything about the 500 gr., but the Ranch Dog 420 will handle anything on this continent and gives all the recoil in the Marlin that I want when loaded to potential. I actuually prefer to shoot the 340 RD for most shooting as it's more comfortable and is "Big Medicine" for deer size game . I have just about settled on SR4759 for the powder of choice.

SlowLeadBullets
10-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I used one. It worked ok, but had to be seated very deep. I found it very unpleasant to shoot in the guide gun. Ended up using a 350gr bullet.

rob45
10-24-2009, 06:37 PM
A better design for your Marlin would be the Ranch Dog design being discussed in the group buy discussion.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=64809

These were actually designed for the Marlin leveractions.

lmcollins
10-24-2009, 10:04 PM
You would have to go a long way to beat the RCBS 405 FNGC. I use wheelweights with a bit of tin and get bullets lubed and checked at about 419 grains. I have never tried them without the GC, but I would do soo if all you wanted were black powder velosities.

Gas checks don't cost that much, and don't take that much more time when sizing.

If you want to try acheap Lee mould, get a light one. I'd go with the RCBS for everything as I do. I think that the weight is the best compromise for the Guide Gun OAL. You'll want one sooner or later, and it might work fine for plinking at low velosity.

mpmarty
10-24-2009, 11:40 PM
IMHO the 500 gr is not practical in the 45/70; I know that was the original loading back in 1873. The boolit, in order to perform optimally needs a slow burning powder and overall cartridge length of 2.57" limits powder capacity in the 500 grain slug. If you just want to piddle around use a lighter boolit, even a paper patched pistol like a 200gr 452 semi wad cutter. For all around practical use of the Marlin I stick to the RD molds and prefer the 350gr at higher velocities. I don't feel that a 500gr boolit would be any advantage at all.

Tazman1602
10-25-2009, 04:50 AM
You would have to go a long way to beat the RCBS 405 FNGC. I use wheelweights with a bit of tin and get bullets lubed and checked at about 419 grains. I have never tried them without the GC, but I would do soo if all you wanted were black powder velosities.

Gas checks don't cost that much, and don't take that much more time when sizing.

If you want to try acheap Lee mould, get a light one. I'd go with the RCBS for everything as I do. I think that the weight is the best compromise for the Guide Gun OAL. You'll want one sooner or later, and it might work fine for plinking at low velosity.

Got to agree totally with that one. No 45-70 here YET but I just tried these in my .450 Marlin yesterday. Put 31 grains of H4198 behind it and right out of the box shot a 1.642 group at around 80 yards. Yes I cheat. Ashley Outdoors scope mount and Leupold Scout Scope. Recoil was not unpleasant. Mixture was WW and linotype, heat treated and gas checked.

I've cast tons of handgun bullets but this was my first venture into cast rifle bullets and I'm amazed at the accuracy they gave. Next step is to put a few through the chrono if it ever stops raining here....

Art