PDA

View Full Version : Just A Caution

milkman
04-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I normally heat treat my bullets after they have been sized in my push through sizing die and the wife complains mightily about the smell of the sizing lube cooking off . After reading a post here about using wire pulling lube as bullet sizing lube, I tried it with great success, lubed great and no odor when heated. Buuutttt, after checking my sizing die after a couple of warm humid days, everywhere I had left the lube on the die it had rusted pretty badly. No pits, but not pretty. I used Ideal "Yellow 77" from Home Depot, other lubes might not be a problem. I have been using the same stuff as brass lube when FL sizing and have not observed a problem there other than it doesn't lube well after it dries.

milkman

stocker
04-29-2006, 05:19 PM
milkman: I don't apply any lube when initially sizing and seating the checks. Then I heat treat and apply lube using a slightly larger die, (ie: .001 larger than the die initially used for sizing and seating the check) in a second pass through the luber. Unless you are taking a lot of metal off the bullet on the first pass you should be able to get by without a lube. If you can't then you are going to need a solvent to wash the lube off prior to oven treatment.

44man
04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
After sizing, wash the boolits in solvent before heat treating.