PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Estimate on this .44 Mag Load Please ?

Al57
10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I do not have a working crony anymore, (yes, it's on my list ) , but I'd sure appreciate some info & opinions from those of you that create a load or one close to it, with the following ingrediants, of what ACTUAL velocity you attain, and your estimate on mine. I do realize variables exist that fluctuate results .

.44 Magnum - 5 1/2 " Ruger SBH

.44 mag cases
262 gr. Keith style Cast Boolit ( were advertised as 250 gr, but weigh 262 )
9.0 grs. Unique
WLP
Medium roll crimp

Many Thanks

Heavy lead
10-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Wow, well I'll step in it first: 950fps
Obviously an estimate, I'm always surprised by chronograph results, good and bad.

felix
10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Circa 950. ... felix

txbirdman
10-23-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd say that's about right. I know with my 4 5/8" Ruger in 45 Colt I expect about 100 fps per grain of Unique from 8 through 10 grains. The 44 mag ought to be a little quicker per grain.

NoDakJak
10-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I get about 850 with my 8.0 grain loads so I would agree that 950 should be pretty close. Neil

9.3X62AL
10-24-2009, 12:34 AM
In my Redhawk x 5.5", Lyman #429421 (~240 grains) atop 9.0 grains of Unique set off by CCI 300 primers gives 950-975 FPS.

FWIW, the same boolit atop 7.5 grains of Unique/same primer in 44 Special cases runs 925-950 FPS from my Model 624 x 6.5". This is the well-noted "Skeeter's Load" for the 44 Special touted by the late Skeeter Skelton, a law officer and gunwriter whose work I enjoyed very much in my youth and young adulthood. Your Magnum rendition is about spot-on for Skeeter's Load performance in the longer case.

This velocity range is a VERY USEFUL LOAD in the 44 caliber revolvers. My wife and girls can handle the recoil level fairly well, and most seasoned handgunners can run them all day if they choose to do so. These are economical, effective, accurate loads.

StarMetal
10-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Well looking at Al's actual shooting velocity with a 22 grain lighter bullet same load of Unique power from the same barrel length, and a 44 mag 629 Classic 6.5 inch barrel I had using 8.5 grains of Unique with a 240 Saeco I got 1005 and 1015 fps with two different primers. 10 grains gave me 1150 fps. So I'll say 900-950 fps.

Joe

HeavyMetal
10-24-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm gonna join the group and go with the 950 ish range.

The problem is way to many variables to predict a velocity with any more accuracy than that.

As an example of that, and before chrony's were "affordable" the IPSC match's used a "pendulem" to determine power levels at match's. Your load had to move a scale a certain amount to determine if you were shooting minor or major caliber.

One season a mouthy young man showed up to shoot with a 6 inch model 19 smith. I say mouthy because he would never shut up about how the 357 was the load and the gun for anything from shooting mice to stopping charging elephant!

I particularly liked the idea that wrapping his grips with electric tape was better than buying a pair of Pachmyers!

The first two matchs of the year we had no ammo testing as it was just a local match, the third month the match was also a regional match and some big names showed up so the "pendulem" came out.

Testing was done with the range masters 45 government model and a 4 inch model 28 Smith. This was way before the 9mm & 38 super became popular.

So here's the skinny Mouthy guy sniveled because his load would be shot in a "short" barrel, he used the term "Snubbie" a lot while his ammo was being examined.

To everyone's surprise the stuff tested major. At this point a prudent man would shut up and go shoot the match. Not this guy! Had the stuff been tested in a real gun ( his) it would have made major "better"!

By this time the range master had had about enough of this jerk and told him straight up: He'd retest in the shooters gun and what ever the results were he, the shooter, would have to live with! Six rounds were selected from the supplied ammo and shot at the "pendulem".

The six inch model 19 only made minor! This taught me a few things: 1 never argue with the range master ( especially if you've already won!) 2. each and every pistol will shoot a specific load at a different velocity and some of them won't be what you think they are!

I'm going to say get a chrony as soon as you can and try this load and see what the "real" velocity is from your gun as it may not be any where near what were saying!

Let us know when you do as this bit of information can be helpful to others in the future.

badgeredd
10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna join the group and go with the 950 ish range.

The problem is way to many variables to predict a velocity with any more accuracy than that.

As an example of that, and before chrony's were "affordable" the IPSC match's used a "pendulem" to determine power levels at match's. Your load had to move a scale a certain amount to determine if you were shooting minor or major caliber.

One season a mouthy young man showed up to shoot with a 6 inch model 19 smith. I say mouthy because he would never shut up about how the 357 was the load and the gun for anything from shooting mice to stopping charging elephant!

I particularly liked the idea that wrapping his grips with electric tape was better than buying a pair of Pachmyers!

The first two matchs of the year we had no ammo testing as it was just a local match, the third month the match was also a regional match and some big names showed up so the "pendulem" came out.

Testing was done with the range masters 45 government model and a 4 inch model 28 Smith. This was way before the 9mm & 38 super became popular.

So here's the skinny Mouthy guy sniveled because his load would be shot in a "short" barrel, he used the term "Snubbie" a lot while his ammo was being examined.

To everyone's surprise the stuff tested major. At this point a prudent man would shut up and go shoot the match. Not this guy! Had the stuff been tested in a real gun ( his) it would have made major "better"!

By this time the range master had had about enough of this jerk and told him straight up: He'd retest in the shooters gun and what ever the results were he, the shooter, would have to live with! Six rounds were selected from the supplied ammo and shot at the "pendulem".

The six inch model 19 only made minor! This taught me a few things: 1 never argue with the range master ( especially if you've already won!) 2. each and every pistol will shoot a specific load at a different velocity and some of them won't be what you think they are!

Don't you just have to love it while LOL and rolling on the ground? Good example though for sure.

Edd