PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs a casting mentor...

madcaster
10-23-2009, 04:52 PM
My Friends,Andy--bigthickethunter--in Virginia Beach has given me permission to post this,so please give him a hand if at all possible!
Andy is new to casting,and could use a bit of guidance on the safety as[pects of casting,as well on how to cast a good bullet.
Thank you my Friends!:drinks::coffee:

WILCO
10-23-2009, 05:14 PM
My Friends,Andy--bigthickethunter--in Virginia Beach has given me permission to post this,so please give him a hand if at all possible!
Andy is new to casting,and could use a bit of guidance on the safety as[pects of casting,as well on how to cast a good bullet.
Thank you my Friends!:drinks::coffee:

Is he looking for someone to drop in and cast with him???

Ajax
10-23-2009, 06:47 PM
i would prefer it if posible.

Andy

Dennis Eugene
10-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Just stop by any time Andy I'd be glad to cast with ya. Dennis

RugerFan
10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Just stop by any time Andy I'd be glad to cast with ya. Dennis

Take him up on it Andy. You still have time to catch the Sitka Blacktail rut. Next spring you could see some really big black bear there too.

Ajax
10-24-2009, 09:56 AM
i would love to go to alaska and learn to cast and do some hunting but the better half might have a few choice words to say about that lol

frank_1947
10-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I imagine there is a ton of info on casting in here or you can find a book on it, seems I learned by reading something by Lynman just make sure you get a pot that has a handle to pour into mould a latel is really time consuming. Lee is the most reasonable priced, I may sell all my casting stuff soon, cant decide.

Wayne Smith
10-24-2009, 03:01 PM
PM sent.

madcaster
10-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Hats off to Wayne Smith,a man who has stepped forward to help out another!:cbpour::coffeecom:-D

Three44s
10-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm ...........

This thread has me coming with a "hair brained idea" ........

........ I am prone to this you know!

What about a DVD that could be sold for a reasonable price on this very subject?

And also Andy ....... if you are dropping through Central Wa ......... I'll certainly walk through my distrorted world with you! And certainly here of course!!!

Welcome to the forum! You are not alone here!!

Three 44s

joeb33050
10-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmmmm ...........
This thread has me coming with a "hair brained idea" ........
........ I am prone to this you know!
What about a DVD that could be sold for a reasonable price on this very subject?
And also Andy ....... if you are dropping through Central Wa ......... I'll certainly walk through my distrorted world with you! And certainly here of course!!!
Welcome to the forum! You are not alone here!!
Three 44s

CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNER AND EXPERT

The Second Edition is at the site address below, in FILES, free.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK)

This was produced by well over 140 contributors, and is a non-profit enterprise. All excess $$ goes to the ASSRA archives.

WORD and Adobe Acrobat .pdf copies of the book, with EXCEL workbooks and WORD "UPDATES", on a CD, are available delivered to any country for $5. Everything in the print copy is in the CD, BUT!! the CD has a lot of material that is not in the print copy of the book. I recommend getting the CD if you get the print copy.

joe b.

Jim_Fleming
10-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Andy, first of and foremost will be your PERSONAL safety...

You're going to want HEAVY cotton gloves, and NO NOT the brown jersey gloves that you get in Wal-Mart for $.89 - $3.00 each... Not welding gloves either, they're going to get too hard and stiff after exposure to the heat from the moulds and lead. You're gonna want heavy sort of cotton gloves like these:

http://www.magidglove.com/Magid-Heater-Beater-24-oz-Hot-Mill-Gloves-with-Knuckle-Strap-1.aspx?DepartmentId=234 <--- They're perfect for the job, 24 oz. Hot Mill Gloves with a knuckle strap. These are what we use all the time in the Glass Plant, for working with Hot Glass, hot Mould Equipment, etc... I do use these for casting too. LOL!

You're also going to want a long sleeved shirt... Preferably almost like a denim jacket...

Next you're going to need eye protection... No compromising on eye protection, you're going to want safety glasses, period. With side shields.

If you choose to use a full face shield not one caster on this board would blame you, but that's up to you.

Another very important rule is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, add cold metal to a hot pot...

Aside from that Andy, you're going to need an open mind, a deep sense of curiosity, and a willingness to learn.

'Nuff of my opinions...