PDA

View Full Version : C358-180-RF What top punch ?

Johnch
04-29-2006, 02:58 PM
OK I have one of the C358-180-RF now and I sent in a check for another .
I love it .
But I have been pan lubing and using a Lee push thru sizer .

I picked up a .360 H&I die .
I went thru my colection of top punchs and could not find one that suited me .
Either I had to use a flat punch made from a 1/4" bolt , that every once in a while allowed me to start the bullet cocked .
Or a top punch that left more of a mark on the nose than I like .

So what top punch are you guys using ?

Johnch

Antietamgw
04-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Well, I don't have the mold yet but am in on the current group buy and can't wait to try it. I made some flat nose punches for my RCBS and use them on almost everything as I got real tired of having to realign the fitted punches each time I changed dies. Maybe my RCBS is further out of spec than most - I was just disappointed with it for 2 diameter bullets. It makes a nice bump press though and I can make most anything into a FP with it. I really like push thru dies just for sizing and seating GC's. A flat punch is a simple thing to make and I think there are (or were) flat nose punches available online. Maybe check with Buckshot? If you can't find anything, PM me and I'll make you one up.

Catshooter
04-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Gentlemen,

Buckshot will make you a top punch that is just an open hole that you then fill with epoxy and then stuff an oiled boolit it. This will then give you a perfect fit.

Your results may vary, but I think that's the best way to go and it's the way I'll make any top puches I need.

Cat