PDA

View Full Version : I ran a simple test.

buck1
04-29-2006, 12:54 AM
I was testing some altered 22LR ammo in my single six.
I was suprised and thought I would pass it along.........

Federal high vel match solid nose ammo.
All Rds fired in to 3 liter coke bottles filled with water, at 15 YD.

Round nose factory/ showed little reaction, small hole in and out.
Nose flattened to a SWC shape/ bottle moved a little and split 1" at exit.
Nose converted to a HP/ Blew the cap in half and split the exit hole about 4 inches Knocking the bottle over.
None of the bullets could be recovered in the bottles as they passd through.

I thought the swc shape would have been the most responsive, but the HP won .
all groups of the ammo showed about 1" at 25 yd with iron sights and my ageing eyes..........FWIW........Buck

Poygan
04-29-2006, 08:26 AM
buck1... Out of curiosity, how did you modify the boolits? I bought the Paco Kelly Nasty Nose outfit some years back but haven't experimented with the two nose modifying tools in the kit. I've used it but I haven't tried to recover the boolits. Supposedly makes them more accurate by resizing the entire cartridge which I haven't checked out either.

44man
04-29-2006, 08:35 AM
I bought one of those little hollow pointers years ago and used it to recut hollow points and to change solid points. It makes the bullets more accurate and they do a job on fox and squirrels. I wouldn't be without it.

Larry Gibson
04-29-2006, 12:13 PM
buck1... Out of curiosity, how did you modify the boolits? I bought the Paco Kelly Nasty Nose outfit some years back but haven't experimented with the two nose modifying tools in the kit. I've used it but I haven't tried to recover the boolits. Supposedly makes them more accurate by resizing the entire cartridge which I haven't checked out either.

I got one of Paco's tools and just tested it recently. I used it in some Winchester match abd some CCI Blazer. For accuracy (all groups were 10 shots at 50 yards out of a very acurate Norinco with a 6X T6 scope) the Win match shot 3/4" and the blaser 1.5" unaltered. With a prtty good "nasty nose" the Win again shot 3/4" (but 8 were in 1/2") and the Blazer all went into 1". The nasty nose with a HP performed the same with both types of ammo.

I had several empty pop cans so I filled them with water and shot them at 50 yards. Unaltered ammo was through and through with dribble dribble. The nastynose split the can open front and back and knocked them of the board. The nasty nose Blazer with HP blew the cans apart at the top and were very impressive. The nasty nose Bazer with HP is just as effective and is as accurate as Remington Yellow Jackets at less than half the cost.

My next test is for feeding in a 10-22 and Browning Challenger. A very worth while tool to have if you hunt/shoot animals with a .22.

Larry Gibson

fiberoptik
04-30-2006, 12:18 AM
I just got Paco's tools, 1 for the L.R. & 1 for shorts. (I live in the city) The target lr's are a bit too loud, but the shorts are much quieter. My squirrels all seem to agree that the tools work a bit too well, as far as they are concerned. They drop on the spot, nary a twitch.....:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

P.S. He's a great guy to do business with also. We'd spoke of the short tool, and I was out of town a few days, so he fired it off to me before I got the check out.

P.S.S.
I had a hollow-pointer from some other outfit, (brownells maybe?) that didn't work for squat. It drilled them off center every time. Might as well have just hit the front with a file.

buck1
04-30-2006, 02:00 AM

I also used pacos tool. Tryed it out on some Rabbits this morning.
I never thought a 22 lr would kill rabbits like that.
It makes (some) Cheepo ammo act like match grade hunting ammo.
I recomend it for any 22RF shooters out there, Its about as close to Casting your own Rim Fire boolits as you can get.
........Buck

jpb
04-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I too have one of Paco's tools (the deluxe version -- 3 nose punches, and a different diameter sizing chamber on each end of the brass sizing die).

I have to echo the comments above -- cheap ammo becomes more accurate, and all ammo kills like I never expected a .22 rimfire to do.

Also, Paco is a great guy to deal with. I don't live in the USA, so he did some extra work to help me get the tool.

I resize my ammo while watching TV so it takes 'no' time at all.

Well worth the money!

John

Wayne Smith
04-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Would someone PLEASE post a contact for Paco?

Scrounger
04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Would someone PLEASE post a contact for Paco?

Paco Kelly pk454@comcast.net

hiram
04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
www.leverguns.com

grumble
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the link!

How does this gizmo work? I assumed from previous posts that it was a die of some sort that screwed into a reloading press. From the pics on Paco's site though, it seems it's a hand-held gizmo. How do you use it?

buck1
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

Thats the link.
You slip a .22LR in to a .223 or .224 ID brass hand held /table top die with a hole all the way through it., then you hit a nose punch with a plastic hammer.
It sizes the bullet to the die and reforms the nose at the same time.
Its recessed at the rim to prevent the shell from fireing.
Pice of cake, I do 100 in about 10 min.
.....Buck

grumble
04-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks, Buck! I just might have to try this thing out. I hate watching rabbits flop after shooting them with a 22.

Wayne Smith
05-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks, all. Order will be on the way.