PDA

View Full Version : My Exploding Liquid Alox!

Vly
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't use much Lee Liquid Alox - not because it doesn't work - I prefer my Felix lube and using the lubrisizer. I was cleaning out a closet and found a bunch of cast bullets I had forgotten about, and some were commercial cast with that hard waxy lube. "No problem", I thought, "I'll give them a squirt of Liquid Alox and load them up. "

I open the bottle, turn it over and give a squeeze - nothing. Give a harder squeeze and POP! Brown goop is EVERYWHERE! All over my shirt, all over the bench, all over a loading tray of brass...on the floor...everywhere EXCEPT on the bullets I wanted it on!!!!! Posted for your amusement.

AkMike
04-28-2006, 12:58 PM
What did you 'squeeze it " with?

A 16 pound hammer?

XBT
04-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Old bottle = hard plastic = disaster. I did the same thing once with an old plastic tube of RCBS sizing lube.

imashooter2
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
LOL! Next time run a wire down the spout to clean out the hard lube plug.

SharpsShooter
04-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Rest assured, we aren't laughing with you ...we're laughing at you!....or maybe it goes the other way around.........

KevMT
04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
One of mine looks the same way! Being a cheap skate, I used the handy man's secret weapon (Duct Tape) to repair it. Red Green would be so proud.

Kev

mooman76
04-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Alox seems to get thicker after awhile. You can soften it by putting it the Micro for a few seconds or warm water, Vly you might want to use the warm water instead. After it is sofened some you can thin it with miniral spirits if you need. NO! Not that kind of spirits that you drink!

redneckdan
04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
i warm mine in hot water till the bottle starts ballooning, then ram a paper clip down the spout to open 'er up. Pours like water. How does alox work as an aftershave, ladies like it pretty well, eh?[smilie=1:

fiberoptik
05-04-2006, 01:34 AM
I did the same with a bottle of elmer's glue. The spout didn't look like it had anything in it, so I gave it a better squeeze. The screw top actually blew off, flying across the room, hitting the cat! I don't know who was more surprized, him or me. Got alot of glue everywere also.
I was holding a can of Pepsi in my hand, with thumbnail on mid-can, in the car back in highschool. It was mid-july & very hot that day. The can was sitting on the dashboard. I wasn't pressing on it much, but my thumb poked a hole in it, & I sprayed Pepsi all over myself, aunt, 3 cousins, & the entire car interior. Did I mention my aunt doesn't like me??:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Crash_Corrigan
05-05-2006, 03:36 AM
I always keep a paper clip or a toothpick held onto the silly plastic bottle with a rubber band to clean out the spout. Then I add some Mineral Spirits and shake it up and spray the goo onto the boolits in a plastic ice cream container that I have been using for years and years. Some of the old stuff always softens and adds to the new. It is a beutiful thing!