PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Schoutz's methods.

waksupi
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I'd known of Dutch Schoutz for many years, and have recently seen his accuracy system mentioned here. What intrigued me most, was the dry lube method that had been mentioned. So, I spent $15 to get the info from him, and I must say I am impressed. Something that first comes to attention, that the first shot out of a clean barrel, is in the group. The second thing, I like the idea, as it permits a patching system that will be good to leave a load in the rifle for weeks on end, with no powder contamination possiblities.
I have had some breech fouling I did some experimenting with, and seem to have worked around that particular problem. I suspect it is due to the dry conditions in this area.
Anyway, if you shoot patched round balls, I will recommend spending the $15 for the information he offers. I've been shooting ML's for 37 years, and learned some new tricks. Don't ask how to do it, there is enough information that it would not be possible to cover well here. Plus, Dutch is 81 years old, and I suspect he can use the extra income.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Here is a 50 yard target I shot this morning, with my .54 Mountain Rifle. I suspect if I could see better,and had target sights, it could easily be a one hole group. As it is, this one is right around one and a half inches. That is five shots.

Dean D.
10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Dagnabbit, guess I'll hafta part with another $15 for that info, specially if I'm gonna have any kind of a chance at the next shoot!

Nice group there Ric, Uncle Don Weberstein may want a bit more for that rifle now [smilie=p: You DID purchase it on the conditional payment plan, right??? [smilie=l:

waksupi
10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Yep, got it on the iron clad Uncle Don guarantee, 30 seconds, or thirty steps.

You DID know that I am an apprentice enabler, didn't you?

Dean D.
10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Whuu???? Apprentice???? Hardly! LMAO

stubshaft
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I've been using Dutch's "secret" for many years. I just tell the boys locally that it is a "special" patch material that has propietary ingredients in it.

Maven
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Dutch Schoultze's advice helped turn a new Green Mtn. drop-in bbl. for a T/C Hawken I once owned into an excellent shooter. I was using a .015" patch a la T/C bbl's., but the Green Mtn. needed a .018" (or .020") patch to make it a tack driver. Dutch's "dry lube" patches were also quite effective, as I recall. However, the last time I wrote to him, he recommended something other than water soluble machining oil for that purpose because the newer oils had too many additives that apparently weren't ML-friendly.

Would Ballistol be an effective substitute? Btw, the dry lubed patch is MUCH less expensive than the teflon patching that's advertised in "Muzzle Blasts."

Ajax
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
yes you can use ballistol i have been using it for the last couple of years and it is great.

Andy

waksupi
10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Dutch now recommends Ballistol, as the soluble oils vary too much.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Kroil ain't bad either, and my brother gets me that free in the aerosol.

Rich
Is it time for the 2010 Quigley Match yet?

765x53
11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
The best $15.00 I ever spent.
The first time out both of my smooth rifles shot one raged hole at 25 yards .

scrapcan
11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I have had this on the list for purchasing for a bit know I guess I just need to send the cash and put it in the library of reference material.