PDA

View Full Version : First smelting of indoor scrap

zomby woof
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I got about 120 lbs of indoor scrap from our range to try out. It cost me $10. It melted quite fast with my turkey fryer burner. I got a 70% yield. There was lots of jackets, cases and a lot of what looked like dirt, very dusty. It was very messy. This is a reliable supply of lead. I'm just not sure it's worth the mess.

DGV
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I have smelted some indoor scrap and I always wear a respirator with a fresh cartridge filter (2) one on each side. I would never not use it while smeltng because it is very dirty and dusty. I suggest you do the same.

jcwit
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
So you got clean lead "alloy?" for .14 cents a lb. Not bad I would think. Only you can decide if its worth it or not, to me it would be but then I've been doing it for around 10 years and my scrap is free as I help to clean the range.

jcwit
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Regarding the filter, I do not use one, and yes its dusty, but its not lead dust as it stays airborn to long.

BTW, my lead levels are very low, I have mine tested regularly. But then do as you wish, if you feel better with a respisator by all means use one.

largecaliberman
10-19-2009, 08:43 PM
It's really worth the trouble, the mess, etc. for $10 and 120 lbs ---that's $.08 per pound. try buying it through a plumbing supplier.
One word of caution---and I've posted this caution on other places. When smelting indoor lead, WATCH OUT OF LIVE ROUNDS!!! that may have strayed into the pot.

imashooter2
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I always turn my range scrap out into a wheelbarrow and load the pot with along handled garden shovel. This gives me one last chance to check it over for dud .22s and if I should miss one, at least I'm not standing right over the pot.

You netted clean alloy at less than 12 cents a pound. I would get as much of that as I could put on the shelf.

jleneave
10-21-2009, 12:40 AM
I also use some indoor range scrap. The scrap I get has about 15% to 20% copper jackets and other misc trash in it. Like largecaliberman said, watch for unfired rounds!! I have had a couple .22LRs go off while I was melting it down. Also watch out for unburned powder when you start to get to the bottom of the bucket! I have had some of that to also flame up on me.

The lead that I have gotten so far was well worth the effort, especially when you consider that wheel weights will probably be hard to get in the not so distant future.

Has anyone tried to sell the copper jackets that have been skimmed off the melt?? I have several 5 gallon buckets full and was wondering if it was worth hauling in to the scrap yard??

Jody

imashooter2
10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Has anyone tried to sell the copper jackets that have been skimmed off the melt?? I have several 5 gallon buckets full and was wondering if it was worth hauling in to the scrap yard??

Jody

Many here have reported selling it as "#2 copper." The yards around me won't touch it though.