PDA

View Full Version : Getting the 25 going

northmn
10-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I finally have my 25 together enough to shoot (I have left on enough wood for final finish later) It uses a #3 buckshot, 25 caliber ball. Tried both 3F and 4F and am leaning toward 4f as a main charge. Takes a whole 15 rains of 4f. Others taht use 3f go to about 20-25, so think of the savings using 4f. Starting to sight it in and will likely try squirrel hunting tomorrow. Its a flintlock, and reminds me how much fun the smallbore can be. Really opens a pop can full of water. Those that have them refer them as a supercharged 22 short.

Northmn

jim4065
10-18-2009, 10:22 PM
What rate of twist are you using? Do you have to clean between shots?
Always wanted to try a very "small-bore" ML, but my .32 loads up with soot pretty fast. :violin:

Bullshop
10-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I too have a 32 cal and consider it the equal of a 22 mag RF shooting a 40gn ball at about 2000 fps.
Somewhere along the line I have acquired an old Ideal mold for a 6mm RB. I have no idea what it was for, perhaps something like what you are doing in 25 cal. Maybe a patched 6mm ball will be right for 25 cal. My plan was to use it for soft nose casting. Cast the 6mm balls in pure lead then when casting boolits drop one in each cavity and pour hard alloy around it.
BIC/BS

northmn
10-19-2009, 06:26 AM
The barrel is a Rayl with a twist of 1-48. One of the reasons I think I will be testing out the 4f is that I did start to get flashes in the pan toward teh last of my shooting session. As it has a slightly smaller touch hole than my other rifles that may also contribute. A 6mm ball would work in this rifle, but the #3 buckshot mikes out at just under 25 cal. It loaded pretty easy the whole time. Needs a lot more development work, but was loads of fun to shoot.

Northmn