PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Enterprises (NOE)

BruceB
10-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Folks;

A sea change has taken place in the world of special-order moulds. I believe it's sufficiently important that I'm placing this thread here, rather than on the "Moulds" forum.

With all the interminable troubles reported about special-order moulds showing up VERY late or never, and often with wrong dimensions when they DO show up.....we finally have a winner.

The NOE special orders are placed to meet a set of dimensions agreed-upon by OUR members, on OUR site. Once everyone has had a say in the matter, Swede Nelson adopts a set of numbers which will satisfy the majority of respondents.

Today I cast my first bullets with the 4-cavity 311284 which came from NOE last week. I had to wait for set of Lee handles, which I must say performed well. But the MOULD....a random sample of twenty bullets from a run of over 1000 demonstrated nose diameters of .300, and band diameters of .312-.313, from ALL cavities. I tried these 20 bullets in muzzles of several .30-caliber rifles, and only about a third of the nose would enter the rifling, even on my Krag of 1898. Perfect, in other words. Weight obviously was equally consistent.

The mould operated very well. I cycled it in the oven as instructed, taking it up to 375 and back to room temp three times. I then gave it a quick scrub with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, and that was all. It releases the straight-ww bullets very easily, and the highly-polished top surface shows rounded bases or other base flaws very prominently. Contrary to some other experiences posted here, my bullets accept both Hornady and Gator gaschecks.

The test run used my normal speed-casting technique, and I had over a thousand bullets in about 1.5 hours.

I'm hoping that the tooling from the many group buys will be available for future orders by anyone who missed the initial group buys. It would be reasonable to expect a slightly-higher price, since a one-off order couldn't be made in a batch run like the group buys. My 4-cavity 311284 cost $95 including shipping. To get a mould made the way *I* want, with the number of cavities I want, that is an utter bargain. My NOE 314299 4-cav should be along in the near future, and I believe I can now safely say that my .303s will never have had it so good.

I'm not in any way associated with NOE, except in my admiration for the way they're doing business. I highly recommend the outfit, and I think they'll put to rest a great deal of the dis-satisfaction lately associated with custom orders and group buys. Future orders for my bench are a certainty.

rbuck351
10-17-2009, 11:13 PM
That is very nice to hear. I just ordered a 358009 from NOE on the ongoing GB. I think my 358N and I are going to be happy campers. Thanks for the post. Buck

44man
10-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Thank you Bruce, that is very good information.

Three44s
10-17-2009, 11:18 PM
In a world filled with bad news ................

.......... that's GREAT NEWS!!!

(and a fair price to boot!)

Three 44s

dromia
10-18-2009, 04:32 AM
A fine bespoke product to meet the needs of fine bespoke customers. :drinks:

Lee could learn alot from NOEs customer and product understanding along with how to make fine moulds to appropriate tolerances.

nvbirdman
10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to my GB 311041.

Blammer
10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
and as an added bit of info.

A min number of moulds to make a "rerun" of an existing GB, is 5!

so if there are 5 who want the 311284, or any other, just start PM'ing Swede and he'll get it going!

fatnhappy
10-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I have high expectations for the 311291 group buy. I'm looking forward to having a dimensionally correct 5 cavity mould with which to churn out gazillions of .30 shooters. Casting with a single cavity lyman, no matter how well made, can be a labor.

bullshot
10-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I received in a group buy a NOE four cav #358318. I was very pleased with the quality of the mold. I followed the instructions, bringing it to temp and allowing it to cool to room temp four times. I cleaned it well and started to cast. Made some wrinkled boolits. Cranked up the heat a little and it casted perfect boolits. Dimensions were spot on. It's the first mold I owned that all the boolits fell out of the mold without a little persuasion. They just fell out when the mold was opened. I couldn't be happier. I'm in two other NOE group buys and can't wait for the molds to show up. I have not had a chance to shoot them but I have no doubt that they will be fine. Thanks NOE.

Ron.D
10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
They've been getting good reviews and this just adds more to it. I've got 3 ordered and 2 more after that, so, good news indeed. The thought of having them just drop from the mold makes my mouth water. Water dropping boolits that stick, makes for less than even hardness. Not what I'm trying to accomplish. Ron.D

Gee_Wizz01
10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
I received my 2 Cav 311-165 RD from NOE about a week ago and I had the same experiences. The bullets just tumble out of the cavities and the cavity finish is flawless. All I did was cycle them through the oven 3 times and then degrease. The bullets were beautiful and both cavities produce bullets that are indistinguishable from each other. I am a happy camper. I am in on a couple of other buys and I am waiting on the 338 RD copy.

G

Ben
10-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I've purchased from Al at NOE. I have nothing but GOOD things to say about his mold making abilities and business ethics. I will put his molds up against that I've seen ! ! ! A wonderful fellow to deal with.

Ben

BruceB
10-19-2009, 10:39 AM
What bothers me most about the current production from old-line mould makers is this: they have to KNOW that a problem exists, but they REFUSE to do anything to change their ways.

The vast majority of late-production moulds run perilously close to being too undersized to be useful. When we here have had to resort to beagling or other extreme measures to increase the bullet's diameter, there's a problem.....and it's not restricted to using cast bullets in a few odd-ball or out-of-spec rifles. It's a REAL problem, and it's widespread.

Over the last five years or so, I've been trying to obtain older rifle-caliber moulds of the 4-cavity persuasion to go with my method of casting. Some are Lymans and some are Ideals from even further back. They include some of the most-popular designs from those earlier times. Yesterday I measured four random unsized bullets from my 4-cavity 311291 mould, actual vintage unknown but pretty old:

Nose: .301 .3005 .3005 .301

Front band: .311 .311 .310 .311

Base band: .311 .311 .3105 .3105

Measurements were taken with a Mitutoyo electronic caliper, which only reads to .0005.

These dimensions are close to perfect for a cast bullet in normal-diameter .30 barrels. Later 311291 moulds that I have owned were UNDERSIZED in several examples, particularly in the critical nose area. Similar problems exist with many other moulds that I own (or have owned). For example, my RCBS 416-350 casts right at .416", which fortunately works well in my rifle but is actually marginal in my opinion.

It's far easier to to size a bullet down a few thousandths (and thus possibly gain in the concentricity, I think) than it is to try increasing the diameter by some means. This is why I am SO PLEASED to see the NOE mould throwing my 311284s at a diameter which allows me some options in both alloy and finished diameter.

This is not a minor gain, I assure y'all!

Jack Stanley
10-19-2009, 07:49 PM
I am eagerly awaiting a 314299 as well and still have my fingers crossed for a 311291 on the chubby side . Dealing with makers who used to make a very good product and now could care less about quality is tiring at best .

I haven't used a NOE mold yet so I'll sit here patiently untill the molds get here .

Jack

mrbill2
10-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Does NOE have a web page. I can't find a link.

odoh
10-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Fine lot of good ~ just an order of 5 for a previous production sounds great But . . . . . . howabout a link to a catalogue or list of what those are? Apparently, the only way is to be current w/a whole bunch of group buys of which many of us aren't. Is there an archive? Yes, I've been wrestling w/the group buy culture for awhile and think I'm losing ground ~

Buckshot
10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Does NOE have a web page. I can't find a link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56593

Plus we also have BRP enterprises:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58620

and

http://brp.castpics.net/Rifle%20Molds.html

Buckshot

Ugluk
10-20-2009, 01:05 AM
This only makes the waiting harder for the GB360-75wc i've got coming.
I've got an extra set of handles, stacks of good lead, and my mouth is starting to water..

The small glimmer of extra joy comes from the maker using the handle "Swede".(Even if it probably comes from the 6,5x55 rifle)[smilie=w:

Sailman
10-20-2009, 02:06 AM
How would I order a catalogue from NEO ?

Sailman