PDA

View Full Version : Got some primers at last!

Freightman
10-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Went to the gun show and got 5000 Wolf large pistol primers for $3 less than Widners had them to my front door so $5 for the entry to the show it cost me $2 more.
Saw some 121 gr 9mm boolits that a dealer was selling had $$9.95 per 100 and $18.95 for 200 that is fine that is his price, but they were about the worst fill out I have seen the groves were rounded and had visible voids in them, and they were not lubed. I ask how to use them? his answer was " well just charge your case and set the bullet on the top and press in. Without lube I ask? yes they do not need lube just load and shoot!
Talk about someone having a leaded up barrel, Wow.
I left shaking my head, are the dealers not smart? they will run away the future of gun shows for sure. If you cheat to many people at the shows soon they will quit coming:groner:.

jdgabbard
10-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Their trying to get people to have super high pressures in their guns so they blow up and have to come back to them to buy new ones!!!

Actually, most of the guys I've seen selling stuff at the recent gun shows are just fools. They have no business in the market, and are just trying to make a quick buck. I try to find out where my favorite vendors are ahead of time, and just go right to them. Its much easier to just not mess with the other guys.

armyrat1970
10-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Some reasons why I stopped going to any of my local gunshows. I check with local shops for my needs. If they have them I buy. If they don't, I will call them back at a later date. Not all the vendors at the shows are bad guys. You just have to take the time to deal with them. Haven't been to a show in over a year.
Good for you on finding the primers though. Haven't called any of my local shops in a few weeks but have been hearing that primers are starting to show up again.

Shiloh
10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
You're right about some of the gunshow vendors. Some don't even know how some of the items they sell are used.

I have about three people that get 90% of my reloading supplies dollars at the local show.

Shiloh

Rex
10-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Got 1000 small pistol primers at our small local shop here in the Nebraska panhandle. Price was $28.95 + tax. Harold had sever boxes of different sizes on his shelf and said that the supply was opening up fast. I left the rest for someone else and went home happy.
Rex

hammerhead357
10-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Freigtman good on you for the primers, to bad about the boolits. I was in one of the local shops Friday and they still had the silly 100 primers per day per customer sign up. Glad I didn't want to buy any or I would have said something not nice about that. Because I drove 35 miles into San Antonio. I won't drive 35 miles to buy 100 primers....Wes
OBTW this wasn't Nagles Gun shop but the Powder Horn over on 410 North of 90

jdgabbard
10-19-2009, 12:09 PM
So you guys think that the rush on primers might be letting up? I might have to go buy some SPMs sometime.

sargenv
10-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Primers seem to be coming slowly back into the pipeline it seems. Other people on other gun boards are reporting that they are seeing more primers, albeit at slightly higher prices (not the insane prices like what we saw when they were unobtanium). Wolf primers seem to be in larger supply but I have heard some people finding Federal and CCI primers again. I have also heard people finally receiving supplies from Midway, Cabelas, and Powder Valley. Likely they will return to regular levels soon.. I was running low before the election and laid in my supply before it went nuts.

jlucht01
10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I just scored some CCI's from a local gun shop... it was the last box of 1000 he had. 29.99 + tax I had been looking for three weeks.

jdgabbard
10-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I may look at ordering a couple flats of primers in a couple of months then. I figure another 10K SP and 5K SPM on top of the 5k of SP and 1K of SPM I have, and I"ll be set.

jlucht01
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I try to buy my primers by the year. I figured this year i would only need 1000. I calculated that i would not shoot more then 1000 reloaded rounds through my 357, 9mm, and 380 this year. I started reloading in July. I ran out in the beginning of September. Next year i plan on buying 3K SP and 2K SPM. I haven't started reloading for rifle yet, even though i have the dies.

jdgabbard
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
BTW, for those that do need some right now, Wideners has some Wolf Large pistol, and most of the rifle stuff in stock. These are Wolf, for those of you that like them. I personally have gone to nothing but.

Btw, just out of curiosity. What the heck are OEM primers? How are they any different then plain jane primers?

pjh421
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
This is good news. I had quit reloading and had settled-in for a long wait. Not being able to replace the primers in my small inventory as necessary really put a damper on my desire. When my supply dropped to around 10,000 I put the brakes on. I didn't know whether I would ever be able to get any more and I've got a lot of years left to live. Its funny how fragile the industry is. I couldn't justify buying any other guns or reloading equipment either. If you can't get primers, what's the point? Its too bad there's not an obvious way to prevent this from happening again.

Paul