PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on reloading for other people?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Like most of us, I was taught to never shoot anyone else’s reloads. I also assumed that the rule applied to letting other people shoot my reloads in their guns.

Yet in these times of “change” I have taught a number of people how to reload and even a few how to cast. I am sure everyone will agree when I say that some people just do not have what it takes to be a reloader. Either they lack common sense, try to take short cuts, or worse they try to turn a standard into a magnum. Whatever the case their reloads just are not safe.

I currently am only loading for myself and two family members. Obviously I would only load for my friends, and would test the rounds out in them beforehand to make sure that they functioned safely. By the way I almost never reload ammo to maximum, do to safety, and usually the loss of accuracy.

So what are your thoughts on reloading for other people?

AJ Peacock
10-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I reload for a friend that had a stroke and finds it hard to reload now. I don't charge him, he buys the components and I put them together using his recipe's. I obviously verify that the recipe is appropriate according to load books.

AJ

2ndAmendmentNut
10-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I obviously verify that the recipe is appropriate according to load books.AJ

Naturally.

Oh and is it technically illegal to sell reloads? I have always had a recommended donation of $XX.

kodiak1
10-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Reloading to make a buck is one thing in my mind and if something happened well that would probably be the end of your reloading.
Reloading for a friend and not charging would kind of fall under the same thing, but that would also depend on the friend.
Teaching someone to reload and showing them the in's and out's and of cources the safety aspects of it in my mind would be okay.

That is just my opinion.
Ken

AJ Peacock
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Naturally.

Oh and is it technically illegal to sell reloads? I have always charged a recommended donation of $XX.

I believe it is illegal to charge for reloads unless you have an 06 ffl and all the paperwork that is required for that (excise tax collection etc.)

http://www.webffl.com/ffltypes.html

AJ

Jim
10-17-2009, 06:14 PM
After being told of a few horror stories and being involved in one of my own, I made it a strict policy that I will not shoot others handloads in their firearms or mine. Niether will I make handloads for someone else.

I do, however, have a young man that I have taken on to teach this to. He is progressing wonderfully. I supervise EVERYTHING he does here in the shop and am striving to teach him all the safety aspects of this hobby. He loads his own.

As for selling handloads, the BATF regs state that one must have an ammunition manufacturing permit to legally sell handloads. To clarify, there is a reg under BATF that speaks of "destructive" ammunition. This stipulates anything that has an explosive projectile. A lot of people get confused about this because they think destructive applies to standard ammo because it "destroys" things.

Don't take my word for it, though. The BATF website has all the answers.

R.C. Hatter
10-17-2009, 06:22 PM
:holysheep Years ago, when I was young and somewhat foolish, I reloaded and sold many cartridges, in approximately 31 different calibers. I also had an FFL/Mfg. License as well. In fact, I actually made several thousand dollars along the way, which bought me a few guns, a lot of reloading/casting equipment, components, and a lot of pleasure
from helping fellow sportsmen. Times were different then, people were much more reasonable, the government not so intrusive, and ambulance chasing lawyers were not fashionable. As time went on, people became cynical, the government increasingly intrusive, and the risk of suit in event of an accident went way up. At that point, I felt I didn't need the liability, so I gave up, and quit loading, except for myself. Today, I would NOT load a cartridge for anybody outside my family, due strictly to liability issues.
I would, however, demonstrate the process for a novice, and provide what help or advice I could give them, without hesitation.

missionary5155
10-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Good afternoon
It is a sad state of affairs we even need a discussion like this.
As I have gone through my life I have seen people go nuts when they "think" they can get to be a millionaire by stabbing a friend in the back. I guess I will heed the warnings.

Jim
10-17-2009, 06:35 PM
R.C.,
your post brought to mind the fact that I failed to mention the need for liability insurance. Taking into account the cost of the business license, the mfgrg. permit and the insurance, unless you have a large scale business, it wouldn't be worth it.

Uncle R.
10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
I agree with what appears to be the group consensus on this one...
I don't reload for others except family -
but I WILL sit at a beginner's bench for "conversation" while HE reloads his own. The converstion is likely to run toward "If it was me I'd do this and then that...
<
Uncle R.

badgeredd
10-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Considering all the regulations, lawyers, and the many misinformed do-gooders, I won't reload for anyone. My son-in-law loads his own using my equipment while I watch to make sure he doesn't neglect the safety side of reloading. A good friend comes over to reload occasionally, his components, my reloading equipment, The neighbor kid wants to learn reloading and is on a shoestring budget, so he comes over and I instruct and watch while he loads his own. He buys his powder and primers and lately has shown interest in casting his own boolits. I believe that loading for someone else is just not the thing to do in these times, so I do as above. Reloading for sale is a big can of worms I have no desire to open.

Edd

Big Boomer
10-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Like most of you posting here on this particular thread, I have reloaded for others in the past but I take a different position on it any more. Now I won't shoot anyone elses handloads (reloads), nor will I allow anyone to shoot mine. It just uncomplicates things.

However, I will allow another reloader to bring his components and use my equipment, or I will allow another reloader to replace the components he uses of mine. But that's it. And he has to pull the handle, etc., under my supervision.

My granddaughter (now a freshman in college) used to love to reload ammo with her Papaw. She would beg to be permitted to reload on a Dillon XL650 when she was 10 to 12years old and older. But we always did it together. She probably knows more about reloading ammo than a lot of people twice or three times her age. The only thing she never got into was bullet casting. I wouldn't allow that due to the possibility of her getting burned. She wanted to but I just didn't think it was worth the risk. 'Tuck

10-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Taught my son-in-law to reload and let him use my equipment until he bought his own. I would never reload for anyone other than family, and would never shoot anyone else's reloads.

Selling reloads is an invitation to the feds and lawyers to make your life as miserable as they possibly can.

jsizemore
10-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I would like to pose this question. If you were at a pistol silhouette match or a benchrest match or whatever, would you let someone shoot your gun with your match handloads or not just to try and get a new competitor?

HollandNut
10-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I shoot and load mine , dont shoot others and dont do it for others ..

gasboffer
10-17-2009, 08:19 PM
At one time I reloaded for a few close friends. One came to me one day and said, "Boy, you loaded these pretty hot! I never loaded hot loads for anyone. He showed me some of the ammo he was refering to, they had a bullet that I didn't even cast for! I don't know where he got them, but that ended my good ole boy reloading!
IHMSA70L

Char-Gar
10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
This week a man from church brought his sons Ruger 77 (270 Win.) by my shop. He said his son wanted it ready to go deer hunting in two weeks and it has some "issues". He had shot some "bad ammo" in it.

The floor plate would not stay latched and the muzzle break was loosy goosey. The action was frozen solid. He said his son had shot some ammo one of his buddies had loaded.

You guys can figure out what happend to that rifle. Case blew, gas blew down through the magazine and with enough force to destroy the latch. The going out the muzzle was more than the ported break could handle.

I just handed it back to him and told him to get the kid something else to hunt with this season. When I got the action open goodness knows what you will find...egged chamber, bolt lugs sets back..not telling.

I do not load for anybody else and have never shot anybody elses handloads. Liability does not figure into this as this was my rule long before the current litigation mess.

In the last couple of years, I have seen and heard of a dozen guns blowing up. Every one of them with handloads. all to often folks fail to appreciate the inherent danger in handloading. They get them a progressive press and go at it in a whirl and folks get hurt. I have done it for 50 year with no problems, but that is me. I trust myself but nobody else. If I didn't make it, I don't shoot it.

HeavyMetal
10-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Other people's ammo? Forget it! Anything bought at a yard sale, found at the range or trade for in a batch of reloading gear gets torn down for the components and as much of that as possible is recycled.

Load ammo for others? I have a very select group of friends that I do reload for and they pay for components. I make no money and they use less than 200 rounds a year so it's not a big hassle.

I also do not load above book spec's for any cartridge. I load for these two guys because I'm keeping the world safe by doing so! Sort of a civic duty.

I am also teaching a couple other guys to reload. so far it's working out OK because they each have ten fingers.

Yes balance is needed as well as common sense. Start a business reloading ammo? I don't think so to much liaibility. Go into business making boolits for reloaders? Maybe on a very small scale as a retirement supplement.

Trey45
10-17-2009, 11:24 PM
My cousins husband called me this morning to ask me if I would consider reloading for a friend of his. I didn't want to risk any liability and said no, but said he was welcome to buy his own supplies and dies and I'd let him use my machines, assuming I don't already have the dies he would need. That seems pretty danged fair to me.

jlucht01
10-18-2009, 12:58 AM
I have shot other peoples reloads.. I have taken apart one round, measured powder, checked OAL and seat depth and checked it against my books. I would not normally do it but this guy is the one that taught me to reload... would you shoot your mentor's reloads?

Bret4207
10-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Considering the "knowledge" of the few reloaders in my area I do run into, I'm in no hurry to shoot anyone elses reloads. And considering the liability I'm not loading for them either. The other aspect of this is relayed in the story of the one time I did reload for someone. It was my good friends Dad who had a 96 Swede he'd stocked himself. In those days, the late 70's, getting 6.5x55 ammo was a very, very iffy thing. It was Norma or nothing and Norma was incredibly expensive even then. So I loaded up 20 rounds with the 160 Hornady round nose using a load that shot very well in my Dads 98 Mauser 6.5x55. The load was not a top end load, just a safe load suitable for a wide variety of rifles. Next thing I know I'm being bad mouthed around town for "loading ammo that's not accurate". I never even charged the guy, my former Scoutmaster, for the reloads. But they hit in a different spot than the Norma factory and much lower being a milder load, so I was an idiot who didn't know what I was doing. Yes, I was an idiot alright- for even thinking of doing that for him!!!

So avoid the headaches and avoid the trouble. Forget loading for other people.

10-18-2009, 08:50 AM
... would you shoot your mentor's reloads?"

My mentor and I were at the range. Suddenly, he had a bullet sticking out of the end of his revlover's barrel. Oops, no powder. We all know what may have occurred next, if he hadn't immediately realized something wasn't right.

Would I shoot his reloads? No, but not for a lack of trust. Regardless of someone's knowledge or experience, accidents will happen.

Char-Gar
10-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Would I shoot my mentor's handloads? No for he is the one who taught me not to shoot other person's handloads.

Trifocals
10-18-2009, 06:25 PM
It is a sad state that we find ourselves in. Personally, I myself would like to reload for others. Others meaning close friends or relatives. In no way for profit. However with the sue happy society we live in today there is no way I will do it. Even a dear friend or close relative may be inclined to sue you over an incident that was entirely their own fault, if prompted by a greedy , ambulance chasing attorney. These weasel attorney's have ways of turning facts around to make a sincerely honest, cautious individual look like someone who was guilty of a gross error, to a jury. Even if you purchased sky high liability insurance, think of the time you would have to devote defending yourself in a lawsuit. It's just not worth it. A better way is to encourage those who want reloads to watch you reload a few rounds, then suggest they purchase their own equipment and components. Coach them, being careful to warn them to always follow reloading manuals. NEVER take part in any part of the reloading steps for them. That way they can never claim you were responsible for anything except advice. Even then it is their word against yours. It is indeed unfortunate that our society has sunk to the point that we have to cover our own asses even though we would like to do a favor for others. :groner:

Ed Barrett
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
It all goes back to trust, there are some people I wouldn't trust with my tools or my vehicles. There are others I would lend anything to and know it's coming as good or better than when I lent it. There are some people that reload so they can shoot what I would consider a proof load. The Feds seem to think we should protect these people that in other times would have killed themselves and relieved us of the of the burden of taking care of them. The "nanny state" will take over everything only if we let it.

Oldtimer
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Back in the early 70's I worked for the local police dept. We did a lot of reloading because of being on the pistol team. I started selling a few boxes along to friends not for profit, but to cover cost. One day one of my friends that happened to be an ATF agent stopped by the house. He said I hate to tell you, but someone had called his office and reported me for selling reloads. I never thought about the legal implications, much less the liability issue. I told him then and there that it was over. He would not tell me who called, but I felt it was a guy from a local gun shop, that thought I was hurting his business. Never was sure though. As far as today, we have a gun club here. There are a few guys in the club that reload, that I would not hesitate to shoot their stuff. Just as they would do me. But that comes from knowing these few guys for years, and knowing their ability, and knowledge. We all get together almost every Sunday afternoon and shoot. Other than these few, would'nt touch it with a 10 foot pole. Bob

OutHuntn84
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I have shot other peoples reloads.. I have taken apart one round, measured powder, checked OAL and seat depth and checked it against my books. I would not normally do it but this guy is the one that taught me to reload... would you shoot your mentor's reloads?

+1 On that jlucht01

I'll load well under max for those freinds and family I know love and trust. This dosn't mean blind faith I test all those going out myself and go to great lengths for Quality Control. I also do the same in reverse for those reloaders I trust enough to shoot their ammo. Mind you though my hunt'n shoot'n reload'n cast'n partners are twice my age and were the ones that taught me. It all comes down to Quality Control! IMHO

leadman
10-21-2009, 12:36 AM
I have only reloaded for one friend and I had his rifle to develop lower velocity 30-06 loads for. He has only one arm and does not like to pound that shoulder so a 125gr jacketed bullet and 2400 powder were used.
In a previous post on the loads in the IMR handout for the 30-30 that another friend loaded and were very excessive he should have worked up and upon noticing the problem quit firing. He did not do this. Until then I thought he was a good reloader, so you never know.
I have had more problems with factory loads than my own reloads. One makers seem to be heat sensitive, to the point of blowing a primer one day here in Phx. in the summer.

Jim
10-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Not long ago, I met a young man(19) that expressed an interest in learning to handload. He comes over quite often and is doing real well. Truth be told, I'm having a good time and am enjoying his company. Come to find out, he's a crack shot, too. This shaky, old body doesn't have to worry about the "rickets" anymore. I've got my own personal "designated shooter"!

jar-wv
10-21-2009, 08:12 AM
I reload a few for a couple of family members. I have had others ask me to reload for them. I tell em buy the components and they can use my equipment to load them and I'll help out. Nobody ever takes me up on that. I think people just want something for free or cheap, then when they get it I'm sure they would complain about it.

jar

TAWILDCATT
10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
best idea is to teach others to reload.it adds to the pool.I wont reload for others
due to the law.I did at one time load military rds but sold them under a licensed dealer.I now am in to cast bullets for rifles and my pistol loads have always been target loads.and my rifle loads are in the 1600fs class.
I have noticed many are asking how hot they can load and the dont seem to have books at all just tools.they dont realy know what their doing. :coffee:

frank_1947
10-24-2009, 11:18 AM
You didnt say if you are charging for reloads if this is a means of making a few bucks FINE buy insurance if something happens they will blame the reloads check with NRA for insurance if you dont get insured then DONT DO IT